Cricket World Cup 2019

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Monkeygrinder's Organ, May 30, 2019.

1. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

So this has just got going then. England v SA should be a good first game. England going reasonably well after losing a wicket second ball. Anyone else following?

2. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

Ah Roy :( He looked on for a big score there.

3. The Octagon

Double-balls

4. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Cricket's coming home

Ted Striker likes this.
  5. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

I've always been bored stupid by cricket but recently went to an IPL match in Delhi, which as you can probably imagine was a bit lively! I now follow IPL a bit, and Tahir is definitely my favourite player, so nice to see him get the first skittles (they are called skittles, right? :hmm:) at the WC.

6. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

'Skittling' is bowling a team out cheaply. One player getting out is called a wicket. The wooden thing the batsman stands in front of is also called a wicket. The strip of pitch in between the wickets is also called a wicket.

7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Actually I was just bullshitting ;). I didn't even know 'skittling' was a cricket term. My dads a cricket nut so I know most of the rest of the terminology. Not likely to become a convert, though I do like a bit of Bangra-inspired Indian crowd lunacy!

8. Cerberus

Cerberus Uptown top wankin

Interesting first game. England haven’t dominated in the way they have in other games recently. Still got runs on the board but I think SA will chase 312 down

9. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

The Cricinfo commentator cannot tell them apart...

upload_2019-5-30_15-33-59.png

:facepalm:

10. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

SA's 44 from the first power play is peanuts. Good tight bowling from England thus far.

11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

A couple of very starnge dismissals. De Kock knocking a weird catch down to fine leg and Duminy punting one straight down Stokes' throat. Village quality shots from two of the world's best bats.

12. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Pretorius gone too. South Africa in deep shit.

13. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

That looks like a long tail the saffers have and they're not the only good team in this tournament that have a long tail. Its another area where England are very strong. Archer & Rashid at 10 & 11 today.

14. Teaboy

On today's performance alone (and so far) I don't think anyone could complain about Archer's inclusion. He's knocked over 2 of the top and retired another one with a rapid bouncer. Genuine pace is such a rare thing to see these days, its needs to be cherished.

planetgeli likes this.
  15. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Epic catch from Stokes. Thought the disabled lady behind was about to get out of her seat.

planetgeli and Spymaster like this.
  16. Teaboy

Amla back in and out again.

I think SA and the wider cricket governance is going to take some flak about this. If he was injured enough to stay off that pitch that long why did he come back at all? This is even more of a question when the game was clearly moving away from SA at a lick.

So much talk about the management of concussion in sport and this happens in game 1 of the World Cup. What would have happened if he ended up wearing another one on the helmet?

SpookyFrank likes this.
  17. The Octagon

Ben Stokes, take a bow son, incredible all round game.

Easy for England in the end.

18. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Supreme effort from Stokes and Archer, anyone who hasn’t seen the catch and hasn’t got Sky should go to cricinfo now because it’s available on video on their front page.

I’ll reiterate what I said in the international cricket thread. Anyone would have Dre Russell in their team right now. He has some big hitting ahead of him. And Dhoni will shine, because he always does. It’s a shame neither have much chance of ending upon the winning team.

agricola likes this.
  19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

379ADC84-0AFE-4BF6-960D-D84942E25A8D.jpeg

Argonia likes this.
  20. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Reading far too much into the opening game, the England machine is purring along nicely. May even be able to rest one or two later on. /hubris

South Africa don't look like contenders for me. Great bowling line-up, which will become even better with Steyn back in, but no depth to the batting, and Amla looks past it to me. Not avoiding bouncers honing in on your head is the kind of thing that happens as your reactions age.

Both sides showed the importance of fielding when the ball isn't doing much. Got to hold on to all the catches cos you may not get many. So on that basis, I'm also ruling out Pakistan from the running, and possibly West Indies.

Loved Imran Tahir after the match. Thought we bowled and fielded well, let down by lapses of concentration from the batters. Ouch. About right, but ouch.

21. Teaboy

I like Tahir but I thought his interview at the end was quite telling. When being interviewed England talked about the messages getting back to the dressing room whilst England were batting. The pitch was a bit slow, scoring was a bit tricky, its a 300 pitch rather than a 400 pitch etc.

Yet Tahir was just saying how well they bowled and they restricted England. No real comment on the pitch and actually over 300 was a very decent score on that pitch, far to good for SA anyway. Did they really bowl as well as he thought?

Managing the game / reading the game and playing the conditions. England were very professional and SA seemed a bit amateur in comparison.

22. SpookyFrank

Trent Bridge looking half empty for Windies vs Pakistan, a match which should be attracting plenty of supporters. Hopefully seats will fill up.

23. Teaboy

They're certainly talking the atmosphere up on the beeb.

Pakistan already in a spot of bother here. They are in terrible form coming into the WC, its hard to see them going anywhere. Good to see Amir back mind.

I think the Windies are decent team and I fancy them to cause a few upsets. I'm backing them to get to the semi's along with England, Oz and another I can't quite decide on. Probably India, but it's a while since they have impressed in English conditions.

24. Teaboy

From the beeb ticker:

Andre Russell so far today

16 deliveries
    16 short balls
    2 wickets
    4 runs conceded#CWC19

Pakistan getting bounced out here. Great to see some fiery Caribbean fast bowling today (and err, yesterday :thumbs:)

SpookyFrank and agricola like this.
  25. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

agricola and Teaboy like this.
  26. SpookyFrank

Pakistan in deep shit now.

agricola likes this.
  27. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

... which becomes deeper

28. littlebabyjesus

Oh Dear. Could be all over before lunch.

agricola likes this.
  29. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

certainly before 100

30. littlebabyjesus

Well done WI, but clueless from Pakistan.