Cream - any good?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jul 27, 2016.

1. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

Bonham > Baker
    Page > Clapton
    Jones > Bruce

I like Jack Bruce's voice, other than that I've never seen much point to Cream given that Led Zeppelin is a thing. When they get into a groove they sound OK but mostly they seem to want to meander off in different directions for their own amusement.

2. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

yeah Solid Bond has those three 1963 Quartet tracks (although it was originally a double album with a lot of post-Organization tracks with Jon Hiseman, which became a kind of dry run for Colosseum).

Pete Brown has curated a couple of interesting Graham Bond box sets which also include some Quartet tracks but they are all in the Soul Jazz/R&B vein unlike the Solid Bond tracks. Not that I'm complaining about that :) (One of them includes a nice BBC Don Rendell Quintet session featuring Bond and Heckstall-Smith).

danny la rouge likes this.
  3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

TBF Cream were a precursor and door opener for Led Zep....Led Zep started just as Cream finished (from what i can see looking at the dates)

Rare for the drummer to be a good song writer ;)

BTW all this has got me listening to a greatful dead live set for the first time - always meant to but never got around to it...
    currently got this on in the background - its really great - i finally get what all the hype has been about:
    Grateful Dead - 1968-09-02 Live at Betty Nelson's Organic Raspberry Farm

4. bimble

bimble noisy but small

That is the best new fact I've learned for quite a long time.
    Also I think "extended work outs and acid-head whimsy" should be my new tagline, if that's ok.

danny la rouge likes this.
  5. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

Regardless of the quality of the musicianship you can tell where the songs are going within a few bars, there's not going to be any of those little things that make god smile. In that sense they were sort of a bit boring and safe despite being heavy and a bit overblown. Some good song writing. I'm not sure I can dig out any songs nobody has mentioned so far. Tales of Brave Ulysses sprung to mind but then I listened to it, good strong pysch, nice melody, but nothing inspiring. I would however recommend the Graham Bond Organisation.

6. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

That's the problem with both Cream and Led Zeppelin. Super groups who sounded lifeless. Collecting the most skilled musicians from various other bands doesn't produce great results. I'm sure both groups were more capable than say Black Sabbath, but neither thrill like Sabbath could. Cream deserve credit for not going down the route of Page's mindless wank. Page/Plant deserve credit for some really great tunes. But in general the whole culture of hard rock and guitar gods got it horribly wrong.

7. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Yeah, that's one of the ones I consider the boring bits. It may have been starling in its day, but it hasn't stood the test of time: it's a bit of a turgid plod, and it's very samey all the way through. No dynamics, no surprises, no tension and release.

8. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

not really fir comparing them though. different bands, different people, different everything. bonham has a very different style to baker, and so do the others.
    unless you have a personal preference it's apples and oranges....

Kaka Tim likes this.
  9. ska invita

i know what frank means though, as theres definitely a proto-zep sound on some Creamy moments

10. ska invita

This one stomps on home...

As an aside ,as it contains no Cream musicians, the final Graham Bond LP, a religious concept album is actually pretty great freak zone material, going on a couple of bits ive found on youtube https://www.discogs.com/Graham-Bond-Holy-Magick/release/1737913
    original stuff compared to the rnb covers

stuff like this

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  11. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Yeah I like this - but there are no member's of Cream on it. Bond/Hiseman/Heckstall-Smith - the bass is Bond on bass pedals.

While we're on a Mod Jazz tip (perhaps it needs its own thread ?) here's the Organization doing a Baker composition (this was after Baker had encouraged Bruce to quit at knifepoint so this is also Bond on bass pedals). For odd contractual reasons it appeared on the B side of some pressings of the Who's 'Substitute' billed as 'The Who Orchestra'.

Possibly the most bizarre Organization artifact is their appearance in British psychotronic film classic 'Gonks Go Beat'. Not on youtube and the versions at Daily Motion are really horrible VHS rips but the clip can be seen in all it's glory here at vk.com. See them mugging shamelessly to a playback of 'Harmonica' before acting as stooges in the 'comedy'.

Graham Bond Organisation - Harmonica

After leaving the Organization Bruce joined Manfred Mann. The only hit he played on was 'Pretty Flamingo' but the Manfreds were also R&B/Soul Jazz players gone commercial and while he was with them they did a session augmented with Henry Lowther and Lyn Dobson for an EP called 'Instrumental Asylum'. Here's their soul jazz take on 'My Generation'.

danny la rouge and ska invita like this.
  12. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

Great thread.

The Ginger Baker doc is well worth watching.

13. ska invita

Just finished watching it - amazing stuff :D :D really great documentary, and what a life hes lived...
    So seems like hes still playing again...somewhere? somehow? Reckon it would be still be well worth a ticket to see him in action.

Oh and having watched it it becomes clear why there are such a string of bands left in, primarily Ginger's, wake.... it looks like he was at the heart of so many of the band implosions...and explosions...
    if youve got a lot more do it ;) im all ears - its all news to me and really hitting the spot

14. ska invita

15. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Colleseum now that was a band

blossie33 and danny la rouge like this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag member

If we are talking about super groups and Cream family trees, I think Mountain and West, Bruce and Laing certainly deserve mentions.
    One of my faves

or WB& L

Kaka Tim and two sheds like this.
  17. malatesta32

malatesta32 Not Serb. No, Really!

Cream - rich, thick, white, and long gone mouldy.

18. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Mountain provided the Weekend World theme tune

Kaka Tim likes this.
  19. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

20. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

21. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

22. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Clapton's still a cunt, btw.

23. hash tag

hash tag member

I thought Clapton was god :confused:

24. hash tag

hash tag member

25. moody

blossie33 and hash tag like this.
  26. moody

don't forget Cream were the only Uk band Jimi wanted to jam with

hash tag likes this.
  27. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Me too, definitely worth a watch, very entertaining but also a bit sad.

hash tag likes this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag member

Sad? I am yet to watch it, but gather that he came across as not particularly likeable.

29. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Well, sort of in the sense that he's his own worst enemy, which I think he knows, and yes, he can be very objectionable at times :D

ska invita and hash tag like this.
  30. rowan

rowan Well-Known Member

Blimey, I never knew about that! I lost all respect for Clapton when I discovered he's a right wing hunt supporter, I like him even less now.
    Still love Cream's music though.