Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crazy Prices for 2nd hand pc components redux

treelover

Still happening, on E bay and increasingly Gumtree people wanting 40 pounds for HD's over 8 years old, graphics cards 2 yrs old, basically what they paid for them

It wasn't always like that that, I can remember getting components about half price after about a year

, look at this, its 51.00 on E buyer new, this bloke is asking 71.00 year old! crazy

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
I'm totally lost with this thread. People are selling stuff on ebay and it's being sold for higher than what treelover wants to pay?
It's being advertised for more than treelover would like to see it advertised for. Whether anybody is willing to pay that price is another matter, but given that it's still available, I think the seller will soon realise they may have overpriced it somewhat.

treelover

I'm am saying that the 2nd hand pc component market is pricing stuff that really should be cheaper, given it used to be, and that it is pricing many out. I gave an extreme example but personally i think a 2013 hd should go for a max of 20 quid.

partly many people having to set themselves up as sellers on e bay, etc, and other sellers taking their pricing from that

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
I'm am saying that the 2nd hand pc component market is pricing stuff that really should be cheaper, given it used to be, and that it is pricing many out. I gave an extreme example but personally i think a 2013 hd should go for a max of 20 quid.

partly many people having to set themselves up as sellers on e bay, etc, and other sellers taking their pricing from that
The reason second hand pc components are relatively more expensive these days is because there are fewer of them. It's supply and demand 101.

salem

I've come across it a few times with very specific bits, like a certain second hand drive caddy for an old HP box once cost me something silly like £40 when really it was a little bit of plastic - it was at the time necessary to keep something going though so was worth it (and it wasn't my money anyway). You can stick a decent markup on items like that but you might wait an age to sell them.

I wonder if some of the older stuff going for high prices is people looking to replace like for like when bits break?

treelover

I haven't that sort of money, clearly some have, you should be able to get a 3yr od one for 25.00 with ok usage, but its very hard indeed.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
The real scandal is that the left isn't addressing this issue, when was the last time a demonstration protesting about inflated prices for second hand PC components?
I posted a link to one at £29 or best offer. Make a £25 offer and see what he says.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
i got one for 29.00, but its from 2014, not satisfactory
I still don't understand what the problem is?
I really want a BMW S1000RR but I can't afford one because those inconsiderate fuckers on eBay won't sell them for the price I want to pay. But if that's what they're selling for, then that's what they're worth. The hdd was obviously worth 29 quid to you or you wouldn't have bought it.

existentialist

Fabulous shoes
TBF, I think treelover's perspective isn't so much that they don't want to pay that amount, but rather that no-one should.

Which has a whiff of idealistic naivety to it. An auction is, after all, surely the best linkage between buyer and seller there could be? Price too high, and nobody buys; price low, and let them sort it out between themselves. I can't think of any criterion other than price that could work.

treelover

its clear that 2nd hand PC components is now fairly big business, it never used to be, I wonder what the mark up is for bulk extractions of say HD's, but also maybe lack of decent employment/rise of e bay mini businesses, like others have said, individual sellers are taking their price point from these companies, a used HD with many hours on should never be 35.00+ when they are 50 quid new, and possibly used for mining, etc, same is happening with graphic cards, motherboards.

existentialist

Fabulous shoes
its clear that 2nd hand PC components is now fairly big business, it never used to be, but also maybe lack of decent employment/rise of e bay mini businesses, like others have said, individual sellers are taking their price point from these companies, a used HD with many hours on should never be 35.00+ when they are 50 quid new, and possibly used for mining, etc, same is happening with graphic cards, motherboards.
It seems to me that you're just repeating the same mantra, but don't appear very interested in going into detail.

What does it matter? If these companies are not competitive, they will ultimately go to the wall. If they are competitive, it means that there are enough people out there willing to pay those prices to warrant them charging them. I really can't see what the problem - and far less your suggested solution - is?

And 2nd hand PC components have always been big business, in that there has always been a market from people upgrading kit wanting to unload the upgraded stuff. That's a rather nice line in recycling, as it happens - nice to see equipment that is past its usefulness for one person get used for longer.

But it's inevitably bound to be subject to the laws of supply and demand, which are ultimately what influences the price to be paid. And if you're looking for ludicrous examples of extreme pricing, there are a lot better (worse) places to look than second hand PC kit.

treelover

Your experience might be different than mine, I have always bought 2nd hand, needed to, and yes, i generally would get components at least 2 3rds off if they were a few years old, that has changed