1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cray Valley Paper Mills v Dulwich Hamlet (London Senior Cup S/F) - Thursday 20th April 2017

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

It was only a couple of weeks ago that we got tonked 3-0 at home and were facing a return match on the Tuesday at Billericay.

Most people assumed (I'm not exempting myself from this in any way) that we would not make the playoffs or, if we did, those footballing geniuses from Essex would carry all before them and there was no point in anyone else turning up anyway.

Just saying. Funny old game.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just thought a cup win would have been a great reward for the fans.

3. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Still can't believe they threw away a two goal lead last night.

4. Pthorne

Pthorne New Member

Just looked him up and turns out he is on loan from Billericay.

5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

The same fans, not all of course, but a generalisation, who don't give a toss about these cups...until we reach the final. I'm gutted for myself, and the other fans who go to the previous rounds...not all of those who want a 'reward' for turning up at a final.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  6. Dulwich Mishi

In truth...if we gain promotion then last night will be forgotten. But I am still gutted, despite the squad side we put out. To throw away a two goal lead against a decidedly average Step five Southern counties east League side was shocking. But what's done is done now....onwards and upwards. Perhaps some of the players on show last night might actually realise why they don't get in the starting line-up...

7. Dulwich Mishi

Here's a neutral opinion from the www.nonleaguematters.co.uk forum, which was posted by a groundhopper called 'timmy tabby':

....A lesson in how not to 'manage a game'

Cray Valley PM 3 V 2 Dulwich Hamlet - London Senior Cup Semi Final
    Prog 28 pages £1.00 - Admission £8.00 - Att 196 (plenty of 'vocal visiting fans in situ)

....Oh dear, you have to feel that Dulwich's season is to some extent unravelling (personally I hope that this assumption is incorrect). losing at home to Grays (how?) on Easter Monday has left them with an awkward trip to Wingate & Finchley on the final day of the league season, lose that and it is an away trip in the Play Off's. Coupled with this defeat in a competition where the final is at Champion Hill and would almost certainly guaranteed a four figure attendance and now will be watched by approximately 20% of that total. The word that springs to mind to categorise the visitors performance after half time is 'complacent' or as was overheard post match was that the team 'disappeared'.

Appreciate that with less than 48 hours before a much more important contest that the Dulwich team was not the strongest, peppered with players who required 'game time' but there was the experience of Ming, Akinyemi & Dumaka present plus Beaney and Clunis on the bench. Their first half display was far too good for a Cray Valley team that were sluggish. Two well taken goals gave Dulwich a commanding half time advantage. The first saw Dumaka latching onto a defence splitter of a pass from Akinyemi and finishing confidently past the advancing Carey. The second came courtesy of an awful pass from Gayle who clearly did not look to see what options were available and passed straight to Akinyemi who much like Dunaka before him strode forward purposefully to angle past Carey. If Dulwich had their shooting boots on then they would have been out of sight at half time but there was a number of rushed shots which ended up nearing neighbouring post codes,

This season have seen too many away teams accrue a first half two goal advantage and revert to 'managing the game' an aspect of the game which has no familiarity with the majority of this parish who grew up watching our beautiful game in the last century. Problem was that although Dulwich were initially adept at controlling the contest, it proceeded to fall apart and once in 'game managing' mode it was difficult to come away from this pattern of play.

As was the case in the first half, Dulwich's shooting was of the wayward variety and the hosts although prodding away were unable to make any indents which gave any impression that they were able to turn the contest around. This changed dramatically when with 16 minutes left McDonagh's run forward was not closed down by the visiting defence and he curled a wonderful effort away from Wilson's fingers and nestling in the far corner. From then on the pattern of the contest changed completely with the by then inevitable leveller arriving with 6 minutes left on the clock with Francis just finding sufficient space to place an effort into the far corner.

A period of extra time was required (our insider at the LFA - 'SuperKev', late of this parish confirmed that ET is on the agenda in the latter stages of this competition). Problem was for the visitors that initially they could not reverse the nature of their play and it was not surprising when Cray Valley took the lead just two minutes into the additional period when Rhule operating in very much a restricted space did very well to turn into a wider expanse and angle an excellent effort wide of Wilson and into the far corner. It was only in the latter stages of extra time that Dulwich collectively realised that they had to recreate their first half domination to salvage the contest. Plenty of instinctive blocks from Cray Valley defenders and a couple of goalmouth scrambles that came to nothing meant that Cray Valley held on for a win that at the end of the first half looked unlikely in the extreme.

Frequent visitor these days to Badgers Sports Ground and post match it is either a trot (far too old for sprinting) to catch an arriving Lewisham bound bus or a fifteen minute wait for the next service. On this occasion it was the latter, However, from there onwards the journey back was of the joined up variety and arrival back just as Thursday became Friday.....

8. Dulwich Mishi

9. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

10. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

explains a lot , his run ,forward tumble and scream when they equalised was bizarre to say the least , he made a few good saves though

11. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

They deserved the win to be honest. The defence was vulnerable throughout. Phil made a couple of brilliant saves in the first half so the score could have been different at the break. They came out in the second half and played much better than us. Phil made a few more brilliant saves before they scored a nice goal. Dulwich's heads dropped and we continued lumping long balls to an out of sorts Dipo.

So very disappointing. Sat back on the two goal lead and got caught out.

Poids, Bugpowder Dust and editor like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That figures. What an unpleasant, over-confident braying twat he was.

13. Lucy Fur

Is this the charmer?

Nivag likes this.
  14. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Shame
    I bet even the organisers would have liked a dulwich win, ref money bigger attendance etc
    Now will be watched by one man and his dog i would imagine
    Mind thinking about it now maybe a few more locals will turn up as its at champion hilll

15. Cyclodunc

I warmed to Jordan.

16. Lucy Fur

Probably wise to, best not fallout with him.;)

Cyclodunc likes this.
  17. Cyclodunc

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I didn't. The way he over-celebrated their winning goal in the direction of the Hamlet fans was like sending out a gilt edged letter on a velvet cushion imploring people to slap him around his gloating chops.

Mind you, I LOVED the "wheeeeeeeee" sound he made when he made a save.

19. YTC

YTC Human Man

I still didn't find out what laminate flooring he'd recommend.

darryl likes this.
  20. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

If you aim to wind up an opposition player mercilessly you should expect to get a bit back if they come out on top. That's part of the non-league football contract for me. I thought he was good fun. The only real talking point remains the ridiculous capitulation after being 2-0 up.

21. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

He was cupping his ear like Hulk Hogan while I was abusing him in decreasingly creative or amusing ways, what's not to like?

22. Cyclodunc

Not seen a game with quite so many corners, too.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. Cyclodunc

Told you there was a battery!

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wanted to lick it.

26. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

darryl and editor like this.
  27. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Off for a piss. cray-valley-3-dulwich-hamlet-2-25.jpg

darryl, YTC, Lucy Fur and 1 other person like this.
  28. Cyclodunc

29. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

30. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Lucy Fur and Blitzwalker like this.