Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by radio_atomica, Jan 25, 2010.

1. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I was toying with getting a complete set of interchangeable circulars. You'd think I'd have them all but I constantly seem to be buying more. The ones in my price range still don't have all the quarter sizes though.

I have a complete set of crochet hooks, I think I got it as a present some time ago.

moose likes this.
  2. RubyToogood

I have gone for the cheaper wood swift. It's more present-y than just getting supplies I think.

wayward bob and moose like this.
  3. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i would kill for a swift :D i have a skeiner (for spinning) which stands in but isn't usually big enough to pull bought skeins tight. luckily i have Absolutely No Room for one, given the amount of use it would get.

4. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I was bought the knitPro interchangeables and had to give them away. I dunno if I use the needles in such a way that the cord comes undone (despite assiduous tightening) but there is not much worse than the middle coming loose and all the stitches falling off the needles. Staying with fixed circulars from now on...and I generally find 80cm is good for most things (using magic loop). I would agree that good needles are a pleasure (I have a single pair of Hiya Hiyas which I love for the pointy ends...and Addis are smooooooth.

5. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

I've mainly been making brooches, bag charms and key rings

Attached Files:

Shirl, Siouxsie, spirals and 7 others like this.
  6. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

Been designing and making badges to sell on my
    stall at local markets along with my other stuff.
    eta. If anyone fancies one, hit me up :)
    23561308_541816736171494_7704700797199844762_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    PippinTook, campanula, Shirl and 8 others like this.
  7. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

8. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

Hellsbells that is beautiful....is it counted cross stitch, it must have taken ages!

9. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Ive been designing and making random stuff out of paper
    IMG_0922.JPG

PippinTook, spirals, Shirl and 6 others like this.
  10. Hellsbells

:D I started it in 2012! I go through long periods when I forget about it. And then there were the 2 years I thought I'd lost it...
    It's still only half done. The concentration involved is pretty intense so progress is slow.
    Watching it develop is quite exciting now though

PippinTook, miss direct and campanula like this.
  11. Siouxsie

Well all your concentration is paying off, it really is beautiful.
    I hope we get to see it finished....sometime :D

campanula likes this.
  12. Hellsbells

Thanks. I've given myself a goal of the end of 2018. Maybe a little optimistic!

miss direct and Siouxsie like this.
  13. Siouxsie

We all need a little optimism in our lives :D

Hellsbells likes this.
  14. wayward bob

i love it the way it melts away now. i'd totally call it done :thumbs::D

RubyToogood likes this.
  15. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Somewhere, I have plans for a couple of home-made swifts - one using plastic coat hangers and a cardboard box and another using a revolving cake stand, 2 yard long wooden rulers and dolly pegs....so I am totally certain that someone of your huge ability could knock one up in an afternoon. Will look out the plans.

16. RubyToogood

It's one of those things... yeah you could make one, but they are only £25 (mine was) and by the time you'd been to the shops a few times for more glue and what not you'd spend that anyway.

17. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Well yeah, but making pretty much anything costs more than buying a mass-produced equivalent - knitting and sewing for sure. Even growing your own veggies is not really about saving money. But yep, some things are a joy to make - others less so. I have seen Wayward's stuff (talented) so I would imagine she pretty much has most things at hand...and certainly the ability to do so...but hey, who doesn't enjoy the convenience of pressing 'add to basket'?

18. spirals

spirals Something uber witty here.

DSC_0442.JPG I've become obsessed with making tiny furniture :)

19. wayward bob

20. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Bowls!

6762E30E-3F55-4136-9BC9-9145DCEDF8AE.jpeg

9B31B663-D56C-4E73-97B6-9DC331DF67C0.jpeg

Not quite perfect but beat my last attempts for sure. Need to get the base less thick.

21. wayward bob

those are lovely :cool: i'd be well chuffed :D

Yuwipi Woman and Artaxerxes like this.
  22. onenameshelley

onenameshelley is Major Morgan's bitch

So I am currently making a patchwork knee blanket for my mum (she swore she wouldn't turn into my nan but is doing so rapidly:D) it's my first patchwork and I am kinda winging it a bit just need to order the waddling today and I was thinking of making my own binding for the edges but now not sure as it's for mothers day and I have never made or used a bias binding before soo it could end looking like a mess if I try too many new things:hmm:.

My felt has arrived today so my next project is going to be sea creatures for a mobile. All advice on sewing with felt will be greatfully received. :cool:

Artaxerxes likes this.
  23. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Wotcha shells!

Making your own binding isn't difficult but it's quite time consuming. You can buy special tools to make it but I find the needle in the ironing board technique is just as good.

onenameshelley likes this.
  24. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

You really have improved over time. Your bowls have more "flow."

25. Artaxerxes

I have three more absolute beauts to show off when I get around to getting a photo, just got em tonight.

But yeah, it's great seeing the progress :D

26. Artaxerxes

And here they are.

D3378070-7F76-4B73-BCE8-FA2889851D2F.jpeg

F65767F1-A2C2-47F7-9DAD-CD79DD890DF9.jpeg

I’ve got 8 more mugs to get glazed then I’m taking a break till September to focus on getting a new job. I already kind of miss it.

27. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Well, it's taken me a ridiculously long time, but lo and behold, one traditionally upholstered chair, done with rather un-traditional fabric and 'lazy American' (quote from tutor) double piping. Whilst I do appreciate the skill required, I feel I am going to be more of a foam and staples kind of woman.

I'm actually really enjoying my Monday afternoon sessions and am continuing for the foreseeable future.

Leafster

foxchair.jpg

28. Leafster

Leafster Nurturing green fingers

Wow! That's amazing Boudicca :cool:

So different from when I gave them to you. Is that the first one?

29. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Yup, but the other two are underway. I'm looking for a slightly less frivolous fabric for you. :D

Leafster likes this.
  30. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Some amazing crafts from you lot recently - envious of your skillz (and time!)

onenameshelley likes this.