Covers which are better than the original

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fez909, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Big Jim

Big Jim Give me...a keg...of beer

Sinead O'Connor's 'Nothing Compares 2 U'.

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

That a good call if only for the oh so powerful video.

3. electrogirl

electrogirl dignity is overrated

oh god everyone practically wanks over that oh so powerful video, just cos she has a little cry during it.:p

nah seriously, it is moving, i think i've just seen people bang on about it on those 'top ten' shows too much, also they should've left out those random bits with her hanging out with statues.

4. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

Trumans Water doing Gary Numans Cars . Fucking brilliant !

5. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

Paranoid by the Dickies as well !

6. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Marvin Gaye's cover is pretty spectacular as well...especially as the original was so upbeat. He completely reinvented it.

7. clandestino

Uggh. A gorgeous original completely ruined by idiots.

IMO, obviously. Have a nice day!
    :)

8. subversplat

subversplat writer of wrongs

The smurfs cover of 'I wanna be a hippie' springs to mind.

As does the Sex Pistols cover of Johnny B Goode and Roadrunner - two covers in one song :cool:

9. Pugwall7

Pugwall7 Member

yeahx1million. sorry prince but the slaphead nutter definitely was the best this time

10. clandestino

Scratch this. Even though the Gladys Knight version was released and charted first, this was recorded beforehand apparently. Turns out Motown recorded the song with four different artists. Gaye's version was originally rejected in favour of the Glady Knight version. Berry Gordy must have had wax in his ears that morning.

11. Pigeon

Pigeon Any cod left?

I actually think loads of Cohen covers are better than the original- eg Coil's "Who by Fire" and Nick Cave's "Avalanche".

Somoeone- Paul Morley? -once said that Cohen's versions of his songs were almost like demo versions that other people took and expanded on and I think there's something in that.

12. Mallard

Mallard Ducking and diving

The Byrds My back pages beats the Dylan original imo.

13. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I can't remember the name, but whoever covered Tears For Fears' Mad World -- the cover version in Donnie Darko was waaaaaaaay better than the originally, so beautifully melancholic.

14. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

It was Gary Jules.

I only like that version so much cos it worked so well in the film.

15. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

It was the Zombies who wrote 'shes not there'. And the UK subs verison is better.

Bob Dylan - everyone does his songs better than he does. Apart from Guns'n'ROses.

Tambourine Man, My back Pages - the byrds.

(as mentioned) All along the watchtower - hendrix.

Wheels on fire - Judy Driscoll.

Agree with Nirvana's 'man who sold the world' being better than the original.

Not mentioned yet - Souixise and the Banshess - Dear Prudence.

Lemonheads - mrs robinson.

16. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

I quite like Max Raabe's decadent wiemar jazz version of 'tainted love' ...

17. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

18. selamlar

selamlar is aware of the irony.

Dunno about that, but I do know that (although the message may be better in The Clash's version), the 'original' (is there such a thing with traditional music?) by people like Mississippi John Hurt and Lloyd Price is far superior to The Clash's version on this one

19. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

Rodriguo y Gabriella - Stairway to Heaven

Obviously not better than the original but very different and pleasing to the ear

20. Rammpants

Rammpants New Member

Laibach covering, well anything they cover really. The whole of the Let It Be album. Doing Queen's One Vision, Life Is Life, Sympathy for the Devil, Final Countdown, 2525, Jesus Christ Superstar, Prince's The Cross. I could go on but I feel I probably shouldn't.

The Wurzels' britpop album, but particularly Country House, Don't Look Back in Anger ('at least not today, moi babi') and a frankly x-rated It Wasn't Me.

The Sisters of Mercy doing Comfortably Numb live. And their version of Emma

Bauhaus doing Third Uncle.

I should stop before I mention Mrs Miller doing 'Hard Day's Night', oh and Peter Sellers reading Beatles hits in a variety of voices.

21. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

paul morley is clearly a cloth-eared moron. :)

anyway... i think rachid taha's version of 'rock the casbah' edges it over the clash's...

22. The_Reverend_M

The_Reverend_M More bass, vicar?

Well spotted! I was a lil' hungover :oops:

23. Treebeak

Treebeak Mr Brightside

I'm prolly gonna get shot for this but Noel Gallagher covering Neil Young's Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) at their 1996 Wembley gig rocks and I'd say I defo prefer it to the original :)

24. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

My version of Dead Souls, originally by Joy Division. ;) :p

25. Silva

Silva This went well.

A Certain Ratio's take on Shack Up.

A friend of mine absolutely loves the cover Muse did of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. I find it one of the best covers kicking around my hard drive, just not too sure if it tops the Smiths' original.

26. radiohead

radiohead concerned but powerless

rh did a great cover of union city blue

27. dada

dada :.. ':.. ... ...

cat power - wonderwall
    pj harvey + bjork - satisfaction

28. Meltingpot

Meltingpot Living in our pools we soon forget about the sea

Glad someone else mentioned that one, I like it too. My choice; (Ian) Gillan's 1981 cover of Harley Quinne's "New Orleans".

29. Meltingpot

Meltingpot Living in our pools we soon forget about the sea

Tony Iommi said in an interview that he thought the FNM cover was all right. I prefer the original for nostalgic reasons (it blew me away when I was 15).

30. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

ctrl+f watchtower, ahhhh.

'salright then :)

:)