County Cricket 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by butchersapron, Apr 13, 2018.

1. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Well here goes this years thread. Not got much to add right now beyond i would consider it a good year if Somerset defy the ECB and manage to stay up for another year. Essex putting a foot in their cake again would not be that bad either.

Just wanted to get the thread going before games start.

2. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Lots of games already rained off for the day.

3. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

No play at Headingley this morning. Pitch inspection at 13:40.

Weather looks better for tomorrow, which is nice as I was planning to go down.

Expectations wise, Yorks should be finishing in the top half/third but if last year was anything to go by as a team they are less than the sum of their parts. At least Ballance looks to be with us for the whole season this year.

Oh and fuck Surrey of course, more Kolpak players.

4. butchersapron

You probably wish it was raining at Lords.

5. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Sangakarra's gone. Burns takes over from Batty as captain. Mitch Marsh out for the season before a ball is bowled, Morkel and Elgar in at the last minute. I predict a mid-table finish for Surrey with Ollie Pope to play for England in a couple of years.

6. Santino

We shouldn't even be in this Division.

7. butchersapron

I've been through as many previews and predictions as i could find and the only one not tipping us to go down is the very knowledgeable Dave Morton. Clean sweep otherwise.

editt: scrub that - how on earth did i miss the cricinfo one.

8. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

Free entry (I think) to the Oval for the Cambridge match. Too cold to clap though.

9. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Surrey have one Kolpak player. And as this is the Brixton Buzz forum and Brixton is about 1 mile from The Oval, "Fuck Yorkshire".

Cerberus and B.I.G like this.
  10. redsquirrel

One player who shouldn't be on a Kolpak contract. And if it wasn't for Yorkshire England would be without their two best Test batsmen at present.

No play at Headingley before lunch today and rain forecast for tomorrow - so looks like Yorks vs Essex stands a good chance of being a draw.

EDIT: Well almost certainly a draw now. Abandoned for the day again.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  11. Santino

Northants 14-3

12. Santino

13. Santino

And all out.

14. Santino

Middlesex now 92-6 in this absurd match.

15. butchersapron

Points deduction incoming.

16. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

James Harris, from a comprehensive down the road from me, is having some game. 46*, 17* and 5-9 from 5 overs. Not bad.

17. Santino

We will take those points and add them to last year's total to avoid relegation.

18. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Driving without headlights

An inauspicious first innings 9 from Ross Taylor on his Notts debut, but Jake Ball's fivefer helped us to a 60-something first innings lead at Old Trafford.

19. planetgeli

Some completely bizarre cricket today.

Sussex lose a wicket without scoring then put on 180 for the last 3 wickets in 39 overs, David Wiese scoring 106 at better than a run a ball. For Warwickshire Olly Stone takes 8-80 in that innings.

Notts are set 10 to win...and get there losing 4 wickets.

Yorkshire and Essex abandoned without a single ball bowled on all 4 days. First time this has happened since 1967 at Headingley.

20. redsquirrel

I think it's the first time ever for a four day game.

Have to say poor from YCCC, I can understand that the amount of snow/rain meant that there wasn't much they could do about Headingley. But they must have know about this issue before Friday and should have tried to get the match going at a different ground.

21. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Yep. Worcs have plans in place in case new road isn't ready in time. Guess Worcs are more used to it though. Tbh there was more play and more results than I thought there would be in this round.

22. butchersapron

Ridiculous proposals from the ECB - including reducing County Championship games to 12, end to any form of promotion or relegation due to moving to a conference system. Not 100% sure what they mean by this - regional leagues with a play off?

23. littlebabyjesus

Don't know how they get the figure 12. Can't be each team playing each other home and away. Two 'conferences' of nine, each team playing each other once and half the others twice, decided how, I don't know. Already a bit like that in div 2 now, of course. Two divisions of nine with home and away, 16 matches a season looked ok to me, but it's all about the t20 franchises.

After initially hating t20 and what it was doing to cricket, I warmed to it a bit, but I'm fast returning to my original position.

Would it be a ridiculous suggestion to scrap 50-over cricket at domestic level and scrap t20 at international level? With just a knock-out competition, half the counties will only be playing two competitive 50-over matches a year anyway (and one of them against amateurs).

24. redsquirrel

Strauss, Harrison and Graves continuing their mission to destroy county cricket.
    The Yorkshire (well Moxon) suggestion was that the leagues wouldn't be regional so that you'd have more of a mix up, and a make up that would change year-by-year.

On a different note, Surrey's coach is fine with having cheaters to play.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  25. littlebabyjesus

Well that all looks sensible and fair. :D

If you're going to do something like that you need to at least have a final. There are just too many counties...

26. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

27. littlebabyjesus

Fuck me. The way that's written makes me want to throw a cricket ball at somebody's head. Giles Clarke, is he still around? I won't miss.

Simple? How is that simple, ffs. 100 isn't divisible by 6 - that's the only reason they have this 'fresh tactical dimension'.

planetgeli likes this.
  28. planetgeli

Hahahahaha. Round numbers for the generation that can’t add up. Fuck me indeed.

Do away with runs that have to be run. Only fours and sixes count but call them fives and tens.

a_chap likes this.
  29. redsquirrel

When you've managed to get Vic Marks, probably the most reasonable, restrained, nice bloke in cricket to go on a rant then you should know you've suggested something truly moronic.
    Actually I'm in favour of this stupidity, hopefully it maximises the potential for failure for this stupid competition and Harrison, Graves and Strauss are all dragged down with it.

30. butchersapron

Renshaw ton for somerset on debut - day where it's fair to say bowlers on top.