County Cricket 2017

Discussion in 'general sports' started by redsquirrel, Mar 17, 2017.

1. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

So the North-South matches have started the new county cricket season, with the proper stuff kicking off at the beginning of April.

Before that however there's the proposal from the wankers in the ECB re the new city T20 tournament, they've just released more information about their plans, including a threat to blackmail those counties that don't vote the right way.
    Votes in April, hopefully more counties will follow Surry and Sussex's example and tell the ECB to fuck off (though sadly I doubt it)

2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

3. redsquirrel

Possible that Headingley is going to lose Test status
    So Old Trafford will be the only Test match ground in the north, which will suit the ECB very well indeed of course. The stand is a problem and does need to be replaced but the reason Yorskshire are in debt is because of these fucking ground refurbishments.

4. butchersapron

This year.

5. redsquirrel

David Hopps piece on the Headingley mess

6. redsquirrel

Bullshit.

Can't see many counties voting no:(

7. redsquirrel

Twat Morgan defending the new proposals

Of course he's regularly seen playing for Middlesex in the championship
    Anyway good news on the Headingley situation,

8. butchersapron

Right we're off shortly then.

9. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

First wicket of the season to Stuart Broad.

10. butchersapron

Glamorgan starting as i hope they mean to go on. 50-6.

Yorks openers carrying on where they left off last season. Both gone by 15th over. 76-2 now.

11. redsquirrel

Really need Ballance to perform this year, without Bairstow batting looking even more fragile than last year.

12. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Hate to say it but Surrey look like a very strong team this year. Their two Durham steals will probably score a lot of runs. And it might be Footitt's year to make an impact in Div 1.

13. butchersapron

No escape this time hants you rotters.

14. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Must have been a good 1500 odd at the Oval today with a couple of parties of French foreign exchange students kindly making up the numbers. A good start for Surrey but, with good weather on the cards for the next three days, this one says a draw to me.

15. redsquirrel

Well good start to the year for Ballance 120 on a wicket that seems to be doing a bit - fingers crossed that form continues

Yeah, you think they're definitely going to be a contender

16. butchersapron

Nervous yet RS?

17. butchersapron

Too late. Blimey.

18. butchersapron

Yorks have lost lost 3 games in a row.

19. redsquirrel

Fuck. My brother went down and when I talked to him on Saturday night he said he thought Haps would win, when I said I thought we'd make it. Not a good start.

20. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Or perhaps not!

I was there for days 1 & 3 - strangely the attendance was lower on the Sunday when it was also very warm. Surrey's new opener Stoneman played as superbly as his score of 165 would suggest. A massive first day contribution to an emphatic victory. He looks the perfect partner for Burns, who played a typical Burns innings reaching 71 in good time without looking in any real bother, then getting out. He always gets his 1,000 runs for the season, averages in the 40s, rarely gets out before the change bowlers are on, yet just doesn't get enough big scores to force his way into consideration for the Test side.

Borthwick got out for 23 just as he appeared to have settled in with a couple of lovely extra cover drives. His leg spin wasn't really needed, but he took four first innings catches and another in the second.

Unfotunately I wasn't there on day 2 for Footitt's tour de force. He now has 29 wickets in his last four CC matches. I know he was injured early last season but I find it odd the way he seems to have been completely discarded by England after going on the SA Test tour the previous winter. Still, why give an opportunity to someone like him when you can persevere with Steven Finn instead?

Warks have almost the same side that were champions in 2012 - eight of this week's XI were in that team. Five years ago they were all mature players in their prime - now several of them look past it, and the youngest regular member of that side (Woakes) is unlikely to be available for many games, although Trott batted superbly in the second innings and it took an astounding slip catch by Borthwick to remove Bell for 67; but ultimately an all too familiar Bell innings with some technically excellent attacking shots and not quite enough substance.

21. Casual Observer

Saw most of the game (afternoon and evening sessions on the first 3 days, then the morning hour or so on the last day). Footitt was unplayable coming out of the Vauxhall shadows on the second afternoon. Surprising (to me), though, that a left-arm medium fast bowler, gets two right-hand batsmen out caught in the slips. No dropped catches from Surrey with Borthwick, as you note, taking five out of five. Might give the local beer hutch a miss next time; haven't felt quite right since.

22. redsquirrel

Dobell piece on the ECB forcing rest on players like Bairstow.
    Anyway Coad having another top game.

23. littlebabyjesus

Dobell doesn't go quite far enough. Maybe he has to be politic in that. But the anger comes through. He's about the best media champion cricket has atm.

24. redsquirrel

No cock ups this time, Tykes win by an innings and Coad taking 10 wickets in the match.

Surrey vs Lancs looks like a draw but still a possibility for a result at Hamps-Middlesex

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Driving without headlights

Good win for Notts away at promotion rivals Durham. ECB wouldn't let us have Broad but his replacement Jake Ball got a handy six wickets.

26. littlebabyjesus

Don't see any obviously weak teams in Div 1 this season - helped of course by it being reduced to eight to make room for the new t20 nonsense for which, it is arrogantly assumed, most of the franchises will be at Div 1 grounds, if not at first then eventually.

That said Warks have made a terrible start, and I have to fancy Surrey this term. Their nicks from poorer counties, Stoneman, Borthwick and Footitt, all look like very good steals. I assume, also, that they have Sangakkara for the whole season.

27. Casual Observer

So far so good for Surrey but no championship games at the Oval for two and a half months now.

28. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Warks' 3 points from 2 matches unaffected by weather must be almost unprecedented - it really takes some doing to be that poor. When you consider Durham's 48 points handicap in division 2, Warks have already blown almost that number just by being hopelessly outplayed in the first two games. If a Division 1 county had been deducted 48 points everyone would have written them off as relegation certainties. Failed to score 200 in either first innings, failed to take 6 wickets in 110 overs against Surrey, and failed to take 9 in 110 overs against Yorks. Their next match is against Surrey at Edgbaston starting on Friday.

Sangakkara will be playing for Jamaica again in the Caribbean T20 in July/August - Aaron Finch will deputise, as he did capably last year.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  29. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Many many levels below county cricket.. My season started today :=)

Was a bit nippy![​IMG]

Idaho and Pink Panther like this.
  30. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Middlesex's business-like dismantling of Essex continues unabated.