County Championship 2019

Discussion in 'general sports' started by butchersapron, Mar 28, 2019.

1. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Job done. Couldn't watch it until we needed 6 to win. I was free (in fact, i'd be paid to at work) to but just couldn't.

2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

I think Somerset and Essex are too far ahead of Yorks for us to catch up now. I think Essex have a slightly easier run in than you but that last game is looking more and more like the decider.

3. butchersapron

Trego moving on at end of season. Don't know if someone will pick him up for some whiteball fun, hope they do, he still has something to offer. The amount of young players we have coming through at Somerset means he simply wasn't going to be playing any more. Somerset - and for me, a homewtown - hero.

4. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Odd that counties announce end of season player departures well before the end of the season. Seems to be a new trend in the last couple of years. Strange goings on off the pitch this week at Somerset too - did you cryptically predict that a few weeks ago?

5. butchersapron

If i did it was by pure accident! There had been membership mumbling for some time, but then there always is. I am still in the dark as to what has happened though. The clubs statement was very terse and offered no best of luck in future etc so i think beyond the issue of profit not being as expected there is probably something a bit more serious taking place behind closed doors.

6. redsquirrel

Wikipedia featured article today is the great George Hirst only man to ever do the double double in the County Championship.

Pink Panther likes this.
  7. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Massive day today. Somerset totally on top against Yorks. Essex will get a draw at best.

So Som will get 19 points, barring a miracle. Essex will get maximum 12 points, barring a miracle, and are only guaranteed two so far. Somerset should have a lead of between five and fifteen points with two games to go.

8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Somerset got their win with 19 points. Essex have taken 80 overs to reach 207/3 so they're unlikely to take more than 3 batting points, which would give them 10 in total from the likely draw.

Essex host Surrey next week while Somerset visit Hampshire, then the two contenders face each other at Taunton in the final round.

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  9. littlebabyjesus

Was going to say that it's vital to have any kind of a lead going into that final match, but it's Taunton. Given four days' play, it's not likely to be a draw. Simon Harmer should like it there, too.

So really, it's only vital to stay within 16 points of the other. I just hope the weather holds for the showdown. I'd hate for either team to miss out because of rain.

A pleasingly bad year for the test-ground counties. Lancs will go up, but to be joined by two non-test-ground counties probably. Notts will go down. And the champ and runner up will both be non-test-ground counties.

10. Casual Observer

Craig Overton not playing in the test means he'll be available for Somerset's match on Monday.

Not related to the run-in but Somerset's head groundsman is joining Hampshire next year. Hampshire could be the next spinner factory a few years hence.

11. butchersapron

Wish it wasn't Hants away for us and Surrey at Chelmsford for the penultimate games. Hants hate us (and vice versa) and owe us for a few things this season. Surrey also hate us (and vice versa) and are already playing like they gave up when it became clear that Notts were going down.

12. Pink Panther

I think Hampshire have been the most consistent batting unit in Division 1 this year, especially with Vince and Dawson back after World Cup duty, and they bat a long way down with Barker and Abbott at 9 and 10.

I really don't fancy Surrey's chances at Chelmsford with Essex having everything to play for, although Roy will presumably play his first Championship match of the season with plenty to prove after finally getting squeezed out of the England XI.

13. Casual Observer

This season I mostly 'hate' Hants. Not for the humiliation this week but for Liam Dawson bowling 50 overs of mostly rubbish into the rough outside the leg stump to a 7/2 field last month at the Oval. Might be the worst bowling figures of the season (0 for 180 or thereabouts). Pope would have been on for a 300 were it not for that.

14. Pink Panther

I was there for most of that. A couple of years ago he tried the same thing against Sangakkara and was treated with disdain, as the great man simply danced around the crease and hit him away to the boundary against the spin.

Just for context Amar Virdi took 3/54 from 25 overs the next day bowling to attacking fields.

Casual Observer likes this.
  15. Casual Observer

Me too - saw all but the first 20 runs of Pope's innings. I get the feeling he's about to become a mainstay of the England side for a few years so wanted to see him play for Surrey as much as possible before then. Mind you, the rumour is that 7 of the cc games are in Spring next year (up from 4 this year) and so we'll still see plenty of him, given that the home tests will start in June.

Pink Panther likes this.
  16. butchersapron

Lewis Gregory has Organ third ball.

Sick of typing that.

Hants don't seem to have live channel. Of course.

17. butchersapron

Essex Surrey here - when they're off anyway

18. butchersapron

Hants 3-2. They HATE us. (hants chose to bat btw)

19. butchersapron

12-3. Lewis looks pretty fired up.

20. Casual Observer

21. butchersapron

22. butchersapron

This is geri using butchers account - 18-4.

They've turned the floodlights on as well.

23. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

:D

24. butchersapron

Getting worried about batting on this later. I think a white ball approach may be in order.

25. littlebabyjesus

Essex might not get on the field today. If they're not out there now, the cloud probably isn't going to change much.

26. Casual Observer

Hants might need to nudge the cover on the pitch overnight and get this one abandoned. Could be tricky with Somerset at the Hilton.

Ageas used to be known for roads. Groundman goes demob loony.

27. butchersapron

Flip load of runs at Headingley.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  28. Casual Observer

43 year old Darren Stevens comes in at 7 and scores 237. Kent announced he'd be leaving at the end of the season and then did a u-turn last week. He seems quite happy about it. The u-turn bit.

29. redsquirrel

All coming from two batsmen though, and Kent going from 39-5 to 482-8. Strange game

30. butchersapron

I would take 150 lead here.