County Championship 2019

Discussion in 'general sports' started by butchersapron, Mar 28, 2019.

1. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Nearly upon us. Only one down this year. Pete Trego just retired. Expecting Surrey and Essex to fight it out with england call ups maybe playing a big role.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Yorks kicking off at Trent Bridge this year. Hoping that the weather is good enough that it's worth a trip down to Nottingham.

Not got great hopes for us. Top 4 would be pleasing.

3. butchersapron

Starting to think this may be the year...

4. butchersapron

Looks like a lot of late starts.

5. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Middlesex really ought to stroll to promotion this year.

6. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

In the last season before everything fucks up, I simply wish all the best to all the non-test-ground counties and all the worst to all the test-ground counties. So let's see Somerset finally win the thing, Surrey relegated and Derbyshire, Northants and Leicester promoted. One of those things might happen.

sankara likes this.
  7. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Surrey will probably be without 4 or 5 players on England duty at various parts of the seasons but we should have enough strength in depth to cover it. Don't have the fixture calendar to hand so can't see the extent of the overlap between the World Cup and championship games.

On paper, we look pretty strong. Morkel is fit at the start of the season unlike the last (think he missed the first four games). There are another couple of highly rated academy players (Smith and Atkinson) to add on top of the five from the last couple of seasons.

A big season for cricket generally with a home Ashes and World Cup and the last before the Hundred madness starts. 17/18 counties have some explaining to do on that front.

8. Santino

Our opener is still gubbins.

9. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

A day late.. but yesterday wasn't the most exciting day's play.

Nault without loss.JPG

10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

Joe Clarke has started his Notts career with a century against Yorkshire and is about to complete a second :thumbs:

11. redsquirrel

Was at Trent Bridge on Saturday. Yorks batting still looking very weak, not very hopeful for this season.

12. Santino

Middlesex inching themselves towards safety this afternoon, against the mighty Northants.

13. redsquirrel

Why the hell couldn't Yorks bat like this in the first innings, then it might have been a game. Still unless things go very badly they should have saved the game.

14. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

Looked a lot more like batting weather today tbf. On paper you'd say Yorks had more batting than us but I was hopeful we could've bowled them out on the last day for the win.

15. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

:facepalm: at kent

16. Casual Observer

Much fancied Essex beaten by an innings and only getting one point from the game. Didn't see that coming.

17. redsquirrel

Good first day for Yorks, though I'm not sure Patterson should have come out as nightwatchman, it might end up costing a bonus point.

Generally a decent day for batting in Div 1, apart from at Trent Bridge.

18. littlebabyjesus

Looks like there may be a hatful of batsmen putting their hands up for the Ashes this summer. Hameed's first innings of the summer tomorrow. He hit a double century against students last week - more runs in one innings than he scored the whole of last season. The Middx attack should be a good test for him. I still have hopes, although this could be the last season of his career if he doesn't perk up - out of contract in Sept.

19. butchersapron

Somerset lead notts about 130 after first innings - we have 15-20 overs at them. Gregory in botham's ashes form.

edit|: 12 overs

20. Casual Observer

Surrey's Ryan Patel scored his maiden first class Century today. It came off 278 balls, slow by most people's standards. Ryan picked up his first 5 wicket haul against Somerset last year at Guildford. It came from just 11 balls, fast by everyone's standards. Ryan, we love you.

Changing the subject slightly, can any non-Surrey supporter, who goes to games or is a member of their county, explain why their county voted in favour of the 100 and how they feel about their county voting that way?

Argonia likes this.
  21. littlebabyjesus

Surrey charge 30 quid for the blast. With 20k plus crowds paying over the odds and the only county whose ground is guaranteed a test every year. Good that they opposed the 100 but Surrey are in a unique position.

22. Casual Observer

The question was why did counties vote in favour of the 100 and how do members of those counties, or those who go to games of those counties, feel about the way their counties voted. You haven't answered the question have you?

23. littlebabyjesus

I haven't. Only 1st class cricket I've seen is middx at Lord's. Otherwise t20 is all I go to, often forkjng out to watch surrey. So I'm not qualified to answer. I was merely pointing out that Surrey is in a unique position.

24. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

The antipathy towards the 100 is reflected in the media reporting, although heard a BBC reporter say the 100 was less the fault of the ECB than broadcast media putting a stipulation on the ECB if they want it broadcast free to air. County members want to see red ball cricket from June to August. Surrey are against it but still have a franchise?

25. Casual Observer

I'll try phrasing the question another way. Pretend Surrey don't exist. Who goes to games or is a member of their county and can explain why their county voted in favour of the 100 and how they feel about their county voting that way?

26. redsquirrel

Yorks looking good for a win here.

27. butchersapron

Yes, you should have that wrapped up before lunch i think. That was some thumping we gave notts over 2 and 1/2 days. We finally look like we can get 20 wickets most games now. I know it's only two games down but we really do look a more rounded team with Jack Brooks and Lewis Gregory's bowling going up a level (or two) over the last year. Kent look like they've determined to prove a lot of people wrong.

28. butchersapron

29. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

As a supporter of both Leicestershire and Worcestershire I have major internal conflicts right now.

upload_2019-4-14_13-39-55.png

:) :(

30. redsquirrel

Took us longer than it probably should have, but got win.

Ever since signing for you Brooks has got back some of his old form. TBF Yorkshire didn't need both him and Bresnan and did need to bring some of the younger bowlers on. And at that time Brooks' form was terrible while Bresnan wasn't do bad with either bat or ball so I can see why Yorkshire decided against offering Brooks a three year contract. Unfortunately Brooks is looking pretty dangerous while Bresnan is not looking good at all.