Council Tax hikes.

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Sasaferrato, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

You're saying it's impossible to make it so that property owners, not tennants, are responsible for paying council tax.

You haven't sad why you believe this to be the case.

e2a: I'm aware that lots of properties are owned by "nobody in particular" via a PO box in the Cayman islands but you know what, only scumbags use those tricks so if nobody wants to put their hand up and say 'that's my house and I'm happy to pay the rates on it' then the state should seize the house as a state asset and give it to the local authority for social housing or sell it to buy pony rides for orphans as appropriate.

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

I think the image you are painting about older people is cynical and one dimensional. You are again suggesting that they are deliberately going without and/or now you have them playing the lottery to provide for their heirs? I posted about my direct experience of older people in quite difficult personal situations despite owning their own homes..many don't have heirs or close family. That scratch card is probably more to do with hoping to win enough to pay the gas bill or buy food.

Maybe you are used to interacting with different kinds of older folk? :confused:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    coley, oryx and Beats & Pieces like this.
  3. Farmers aren't taxed on their houses. They pass the farm, house and all down with no IHT at all. So did the customer of mine who owned an F1 team, their 600 acre pad in Oxon was classed as a farm, when be died it passed with no tax at all. His eldest son became CEO of his outstanding businesses and sold a prominent one for £23m and fucked off to Monaco where he has to sit for 6 years.

4. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

A better idea would be to levy council tax on the number of people living in the property.:hmm:

sim667 and Rutita1 like this.
  5. Rutita1

:D That worked so well last time... ;)

6. 1927

There is another option, and one that i believe they follow in Spain.
    If you cant say the tax, no problem, the debt is taken out as a charge against the property. SO the old man in a valuable house would still have the same tax levied on him, but he wouldn't need to pay it. When he dies the unpaid taxes are taken from the sale of the property, or his estate.

7. 1927

Hence the emoji, but it does actually make sense in a lot of ways. Why should council tax be based on the value of your house?

8. 1927

And the rich would buy up the houses that the poor had to sell, and in a generation the rich would own ALL property and everyone else would be renting. that'll work well.

agricola likes this.
  9. Rutita1

In which ways does it make sense to you then?

It most certainly didn't make sense in far too many ways last time and I doubt that's changed.

10. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I suspect you're right. Saying that, I remember when the poll tax then council tax came in.

The broad equivalent -- rates -- that had previously been paid by the landlord became the responsibity of the tenants instead. I don't recall my rent going down, bizarrely enough...

Celyn likes this.
  11. 1927

The more people who enjoy council services the more you pay!

12. 1927

Ive always favoured a three tier system.
    33% of council tax would be based on house value (as i don't think they will ever seperate house value and council tax)
    33% based on number of occupants.
    33% based on income/wealth.

13. Rutita1

No that doesn't make sense...people don't use services equally...some need more help than others for example. How are you gonna work that out? What about the people that have little income, do they pay the same? See...we are back there again...if failed for good reason.

8ball likes this.
  14. 1927

I refer you to my previous post.

15. 1927

What also doesnt make sense is levying tax on house value!
    So family of 5 living in low value house pay less than single person in higher value house. What the hell has house value got to do with the level of services being enjoyed?

16. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Also, more people using libraries (for example) doesn’t lead to a simple linear increase in costs. And saves money in other places.

Rutita1 likes this.
  17. Rutita1

Nope, I would not vote for you.

Number of occupants is a problematic thing to hinge anything on for example. Can't you see that and what the problems might be?

coley likes this.
  18. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

No I’m not. I’m not saying that in the slightest.

coley likes this.
  19. 8ball

8ball Up to something

I was about to raise that. Poll tax didn’t go so well.

20. Rutita1

Exactly...for many a good reason.

21. 1927

Well atleast I'm offering an alternative, whats your proposal.

All you are doing is looking at the problems of my ideas, rather than commenting on whether, if the problems were ironed out, it would be more equitable.

22. kabbes

That’s the way it works. It’s not the way it HAS to work.

coley likes this.
  23. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

24. kabbes

You’ve taken one line out of context. Read everything I’ve written. Read Sue’s response.

25. 8ball

8ball Up to something

It’s not necessary to have a viable alternative in order to point out flaws in an idea. And pointing out flaws in ideas is a pretty crucial step in the process of finding a viable alternative.

Almor, Fez909 and agricola like this.
  26. Rutita1

Eh? I am pointing out why what you are proposing wouldn't work IMO. I don't think you have thought it through as you are suggesting a model that would manifest pretty much the same issues as the poll tax did.

How will you iron out those issues? How would you make it equitable?

The fact I don't have the solution to offer you doesn't disqualify me from posting or debating your suggestion. What a bizarre thing to say.

Maybe don't take my points so personally? :confused:

coley likes this.
  27. 1927

If tax is going to be levied purely on house value, then there needs to be far more bands than currently. Maybe a flat %rate of house value (i think thats what they do in the US). If your house is valued at £5m you would pay 10x the tax on a £500k house! S it is once you reach a certain figure your house could be worth £50m and it doesnt cost anymore than a house at £250k or whatever it is.

28. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Then again, not sure Monaco would be my first choice when looking for cheap digs. :)

coley likes this.
  29. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I would be eligible for it if there wasnt two of us, its SK8 so its not Brinnington :)

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  30. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Why does money have to be collected locally? Things are only done this way because that's how we've done it before, what's wrong with abolishing council tax and just collecting more income tax?
    The fairest way to distribute is for central govt to just hand it out on a fixed sum per head of population.