Council Tax hikes.

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Sasaferrato, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

How do you stop rich fucks putting all their assets into a company and appointing their offspring to the board?

crossthebreeze and Chilli.s like this.
  2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

How is this money being paid into the company and what is preventing taxation at that point?

Once it is in a company, how are the offspring getting money back out and what is preventing taxation at that point too?

Fez909 likes this.
  3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

I think that's a really cynical assumption. Most I come into contact with are either too ill/frail/set in their ways/scared/vulnerable to even consider such a process.

4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Don't stop them, just remove the tax advantages of doing so.

farmerbarleymow and Fez909 like this.
  5. kabbes

In a world in which wealth tax was well embedded, there would be processes to ease this. Even automate it. It would be predictably coming down the track.

And again, I have to identify what level of asset we’re actually talking here. Because earlier, we were talking about somebody with a paid-up £1.5m house. At that level of wealth, they can afford some investment advice.

6. SpookyFrank

First step to making council tax fair is to make owners, not tennants, liable for it. Increased rate for unoccupied homes. Rent controls to stop the cuntsack landlords passing the bill back to their tennants. Allow local authorities to earn a few extra quid by selling by-to-letters' tears as a delicious and satisfying beverage.

NoXion, Almor, Smoking kills and 5 others like this.
  7. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Its not cynical at all. I don't think its necessarily a bad ambition.

You only have to see all the oldies lining up to buy lottery tickets and scratch cards - they don't want to win for themselves.

8. Bahnhof Strasse

You own a company, the company buys houses, you live in one of the houses, your kids are the only board members, once you die they become the bosses and carry on as before.

Then you have the classic ruse, the farm, which works in the same way...

crossthebreeze likes this.
  9. kabbes

In the end, rent would just increase to compensate. The amount of rent achieved is based on what the market will pay, which is a total gross amount. If you subtract one part of that gross amount, it just allows another part to grow to compensate.

10. kabbes

Living in a company owned house is perfectly taxable as a benefit in kind. And where did the company get the money to buy the house, and why wasn’t that taxable too?

11. SpookyFrank

Hence rent controls. Ideally with a maximum rent of zero pounds zero pence, a coupon for a half price big mac and a post-it note with 'go fuck yourself' written on it.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I'm a "hardliner" I guess, then.

Average UK house price = £1/4m, so double that and you've got half a million quid of unearned wealth being passed to someone who will most probably have already had a privileged upbringing. It's better than now, of course, but it's not far enough, IMO.

Even without the inheritance taken into account, two kids born on the same day in the same town can have vast discrepencies of opportunity, purely due to an accident of birth. Add the inheritance on top and it's a double whammy.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  13. kabbes

I’m all for rent controls.

It needs a holistic review though, is the point. You can’t just pass council tax from one party to another. And any rent control will also need to take account of who is paying what.

14. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

If you're on the board and your business partner dies leaving the rest of the company to you, then the IHT kicks in again.

Just inherited a £25m share of a company? Well, you better pay up.

15. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Its really quite weird how the current system works isn't it. eg) Westminster has the lowest rates of anywhere in the UK : "No property in Westminster can be charged more than £1,376.28 a year' :hmm:
    And i never knew that your band allocation might be based on an estate agent driving down your street 26 years ago and making a wild guess from the outside as to what everyone's home might be worth.
    How London's super rich pay less council tax than families | This is Money

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    coley and SpookyFrank like this.
  16. Bahnhof Strasse

He doesn't leave you anything, he retires and you become the boss.

17. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Before tinkering with council tax bands and whatnot, we should really look at what it is we are asking councils to do. One can certainly make the argument that, for instance, social services should really be taken out of local control because of all the examples of them screwing it up over the past twenty years, plus of course whilst social services are delivered at a council level there is very little likelyhood they will ever be able to fund it properly. I appreciate that central government funding and other interventions have played a considerable role in a lot of that, but the situation we have now (where there is no clear responsibility* and the government and council can blame each other) means that looked-after children are still going missing on a regular basis and are still at risk of exploitation.

Then we should look at whether councils are even capable of running whatever it is left for them to run (or perhaps more correctly - capable of running whatever it is left for them to run honestly). At the moment the majority of councils have very well paid executives, well-compensated councillors and they've spent the past decade cutting away essential services, and getting chummy with developers (thoughadmittedly many of them had been friends before any deals were struck, as in Lewisham with Renewal). If they get more money, there is only one place most of that money is likely to go to and it will not be on more social housing, repairing the damage done to services or fixing local transport.

* above the level of the individual social worker at least

crossthebreeze, coley and SpookyFrank like this.
  18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Boss or owner...that's the crucial difference here.

Although I like the idea of taxing power :)

19. Bahnhof Strasse

Boss of course. The owner is Scabillion Investments Ltd, Tortola.

20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

So what's the problem there?

Who got the shares that the father owned when he popped his clogs?

21. SpookyFrank

Make me prime minister and we'll fucking see about that.

22. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I have a two bedroomed flat in Stockport and the Council tax is £120 a month!

23. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Lambeth going up by 2% now (for everyone) but still relatively low. And things like local youth services are in bits.

24. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

I live in a single bed flat. Thankfully my three cats aren't classed as tenants. :D

25. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I'm surprised it's that much - but I don't know if you get the single person misanthropic curmudgeon discount. Stockport has a mix of very posh areas and bog standard northern town bits, so I thought it would have been about average for CT.

Manchester city centre 1 bed flat, and I think it is going up by 5.99% in April. Oddly after moving a short distance to roughly the same sized flat I've dropped down a band, so it's cheaper now.

26. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I think we pay £137 a month for a four bed house in north Manc, Bury council, so £120 sounds like a lot. Doesn't scale so well though.

27. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Bury's a bit posh though, so I would have thought the CT there would be higher. Maybe there is a black pudding discount.

28. kabbes

I don’t think you’ve quite grasped what I’m saying.

coley likes this.
  29. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

The answer is 2. He might not be able to pay the tax himself but his estate will.
    Just a thought, off out now.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  30. Bahnhof Strasse

Trading in shares in the BVI is confidential.