1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Council plan to redevelop Somerleyton road/ Ovalhouse Theatre to move to the site.

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Recent email from Future Brixton- (Lambeth Council)

There is article in last weekends SLP but cannot find it online. Might photograph it.

2. Gramsci

The first event will take place at Dexter’s / Lysada Adventure Playground, 2-30 Railton Road, Brixton SE24 OLN on:
    o Saturday 2 February (drop-in any time between 11am to 5pm).

This event will be run by Social Life

Who say they are

3. Gramsci

Having a wander around Social Lifes website and found this

The report is called "Wellbeing and Resilience on the Moorlands estate, Brixton"

4. Gramsci

Here is historical background to Ovalhouse Theatre

5. Gramsci

Ovalhouse also work with young people

6. Gramsci

More info on this Future Brixton webpage

7. Gramsci

reminder - this Saturday - its run by Social Life.

8. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I'm sure you'll already be mentioning this, Gramsci, but if anyone else is thinking about popping down it would be great if you could express your support for preserving the nuclear dawn mural (and pref the building it's on) which could be at risk from this development.

boohoo and Gramsci like this.
  9. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

So why have I heard nothing about this except via you? I live on Moorlands.

10. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Let's hope Toby Young has nothing to do with this Young Foundation, which is named after his father.

11. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

I was more concerned that "Saffron Woodcraft" sounds like a Brass Eye parody of a liberal-left do-gooder.

leanderman likes this.
  12. Gramsci

I know. There has been some publicity through Future Brixton email. But the Council have not really publicised this enough.

That is why I have put it up here.

This is going to be high profile development with Ovalhouse moving to the site.

Ovalhouse are keen to develop links with local community.

The Council say they want to this to be development that is planned and developed in conjunction with the local community. Which I have told them could be risky. Its a Council led development.

So the more people who say express there views the better. Such as Quimcunx suggestions re the Mural. I know the Mural Preservation Society are urging there members to go and comment on Saturday.

Apart from design of site there is also issue of how much affordable housing people want on the site for example. Also what kind of affordable?

Do people want affordable work/ studio space on the site? What with the artists being kicked out of the Brixton Village there is lack of affordable space.

There is also possible idea of community space further up the road. What do want people want from it?

What do people want from Ovalhouse? They are consulting local resident groups at moment. Also told them Ive started this thread.

shygirl and Mrs Magpie like this.
  13. Gramsci

FYI here are relevant sections from the Brixton Masterplan pages 134 - 147 on the Somerlyton road site. The Masterplan does not have planning weight but was agreed by Council as what they would like to see happen.
    Not sure how much will of original Masterplan will be used in developing plans for site now.

14. Mrs Magpie

a lot of that seems cobbled together from an earlier Brixton Green publication that really pissed locals off.

15. Gramsci

I think the Council have contacted the residents association.

16. Mrs Magpie

Well, we don't really have one as everyone boycotted it because of the chair who has her own deeply weird agenda (we had to sit through a reading of a really bad vanity published novel once). You may have come across her....bit of a local leg-end. Unfortunately all attempts for a secret ballot have been thwarted, even though all it takes is a cardboard box. A lot of tenants are very intimidated by the show of hands thing.....

17. Gramsci

Its the other way around. BG got it from the Masterplan. But did not acknowledge that they did.

I was quoting from the original Brixton Masterplan. Some of the "green" ideas are interesting. But not sure if they will be lost unless people say something.

In the original Masterplan the Nuclear Dawn mural is kept. The Council still want to keep it at the moment.

From what I see happening the Council are looking at original masterplan and starting from the basics. ie how to fit Ovalhouse into that corner of the site.

18. Mrs Magpie

Ah, that explains why Brad was all at sea when questioned about it...rule of thumb is not to cut and paste without knowing what it means :D

19. Gramsci

The Council, unfortunately, have to contact the residents association as they are the official body that supposedly represents tenants.

In theory the Residents Association should inform residents of what is happening.

Does not help that , imo, this is all being rushed.

20. Mrs Magpie

The sole agenda is publicity for the chair, unfortunately.

21. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

As Quimmy mentioned, if you like Nuclear Dawn mural, please let the people at the consultation know.If no locals turn up to say how much they care for the mural, then it's likely it'll be built against. Another area up for the development is the train station, home to another two murals (more cheerful than nuclear dawn!). If you like them please mention this (along with the statues on the platforms)

Lack of comment on these things could mean that they are removed

22. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

23. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

Is that the woman who claims to be many things (professionally) and is really fucking dodgy? Causes trouble wherever she goes...

24. shygirl

The Oval House does excellent work with kids/yp, sent quite a few there over the years.

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  25. Mrs Magpie

You may think that but I couldn't possibly comment................

26. Gramsci

Also it says Saturday the 9th Feb on the Brixton Green website.

Just checked my Future Brixton email and it said the 2nd this weekend.

FFS

I assume its on the 9th Feb.

From FB website:

Thanks for seeing this Boohoo

The drop in will be run by Social Life.

All info gained from the consultations will go to the Council.

This is a Council led project.

27. shygirl

Hope I haven't caused any offence saying that. Obviously, I would never name her.

28. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

The date change doesn't suggest a great deal of preparation. People will turn up and find nothing on and won't bother to come back the following week.

I

Gramsci likes this.
  29. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

I was just about to pop down to the Dexter to go to this - is it definitely on the 9th now?

E2A: looks like it is the 9th... Might pop down there anyway to check they're not pulling a fast one.

Lots of stuff coming up on the SPD etc:

UPCOMING EVENTS

• 4 February 2013 – 16 March 2013SPD Consultation
    • International House5 February 2013 at 5:30 pm – 6:15 pmAttending Young People's Working Group
    • Room 8, Lambeth Town Hall6 February 2013 at 7:00 pm – 9:00 pmAttending Brixton Area Housing Forum
    • Morley's department store8 February 2013 at 3:00 pm – 6:00 pmBrixton SPD roadshow
    • Dexters, Railton Road9 February 2013 at 11:00 am – 5:00 pmSomerleyton Road community workshop
    • Tesco, Acre Lane11 February 2013 at 11:00 am – 2:00 pmBrixton SPD roadshow
    • Lambeth Town Hall, foyer area12 February 2013 at 3:00 pm – 5:00 pmBrixton SPD staffed exhibition session
    • Ritzy cinema (time tbc)14 February 2013 at 2:00 pm – 2:00 pmBrixton SPD roadshow
    • Lambeth Town Hall, foyer area14 February 2013 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pmBrixton SPD staffed exhibition session
    • Lambeth Town Hall, foyer area27 February 2013 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pmBrixton SPD staffed exhibition session
    • Lambeth Town Hall, foyer area28 February 2013 at 1:00 pm – 3:00 pmBrixton SPD staffed exhibition session

30. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

meeting definitely next Saturday now! This was posted on the fence outside (apols for wrong way up picture!)

[​IMG]

Greebo likes this.