Could you cut the big 5 tech companies out of your life?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by cybershot, Feb 11, 2019.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

No, I wouldn't have a job.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I already don't use amazon and apple, I could cope without Microsoft except for the work computer, Facebook is a choice I could decide to stop using ... Google however .. I'm not sure I could extricate myself so easily.

4. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

No - I rely on Google for freelance work - people search for me - my website comes up in searches. Even though I use Linked In and Instagram to get work, most of it still comes in via the Google search engine. The rest of it yes, no bother - although I love my ancient ipad mini - its indestructable.

5. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I'm happy for Apple to continue to be a total irrelevance for me :)

6. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

It would be easy enough for me to do without Facebook, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft.
    Not sure I could do without Google.

7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I wouldn't have a LIFE :D
    I buy more from Ebay than Amazon these days.
    I only use facebook to call my tory and ukip relatives cunts and morons.

8ball likes this.
  8. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Life is far too short to start learning to use LINUX

NoXion and BristolEcho like this.
  9. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I use duck duck instead of google for searches.

None of my FB info is real so advertisers are wasting their money when they target me.

Linkedin is pretty essential when I'm job hunting.

hash tag likes this.
  10. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Youtube struggles to serve me adverts. They're forever asking me questions ...

11. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Should probably have posted the graph at the end of the article with the OP.

I guess amazon host a ton of shit these days. Which probably answers why after looking at one product you’re served with an advert for it on amazon on the very next site you visit!

[​IMG]

12. 8ball

8ball BUY QUALITY SLAT NOW!!

We have a Facebook site for my whole home town, which saves a lot of time.

Maggot, moomoo and gentlegreen like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I hate Facebook but it's an essential tool for promoters. I'm in fairly deep with Google, eBay and Amazon (and Microsoft to a lesser degree) so it would be very difficult to remove then entirely. Apple have zero impact on my life and that's how it's going to stay unless they start charging reasonable prices for their gear.

NoXion and moochedit like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still at least my #1 website isn't owned by a mega corporation.

*because it's this site!

15. 8ball

... that you know of ... :hmm:

gentlegreen likes this.
  16. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

Ditched Facebook and glad of it.

Boycotted Apple since forever, also glad of it.

Microsoft is work's default, tried installing another browser but can't get IT support on it.

Don't use eBay, but do use Amazon for my mum.. She wanted drawer handles in Wilkis yesterday, they didn't have a set of ten at all, and the eight they did have were really expensive. Looked on Amazon for ideas and they did sets of 2, 4, 6, 8 and ten! And all for a fraction of the Wilko price and free deliverary. So I like Amazon against my better instincts. :mad::(

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is the one case where I'm extremely confident about my facts. We're hosted by a small independent web host and not a byte of data is sold off to anyone, ever. At least not knowingly!

NoXion, salem and 8ball like this.
  18. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Never owned anything Apple so that one would be easy. Would find the other 4 harder to do without.

19. 8ball

Was just an off-the-cuff joke, but v grateful for a sanctuary from Big Data. :thumbs:

NoXion and editor like this.
  20. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man Banned

Do you own an iPhone?

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think it even figures on a lot of people's radars these days, but it's important to me. I've turned down shitloads of money for advertising over the years too, because I wouldn't enjoy using the site if it was plastered with ads. Quite a few young people I talk to are bewildered by this decision but I guess advertising is omnipresent in their lives in a way that it wasn't when urban started off.

cybershot and gentlegreen like this.
  22. 8ball

I find a lot of it pretty depressing tbh. Uber, Deliveroo, the Wetherspoons app (when the staff are just a few fucking feet away). There is a generation that have grown up thinking it is normal to treat people like vending machines.

Then again, they were both brought up and fucked over by the buy-to-let generation.

<old man shakes fist at sky>

editor, cybershot and gentlegreen like this.
  23. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Yep. Haven't avoided apple

24. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I did once use an iPhone 4s for a year but I have no plans for a newer iPhone.
    I have Microsoft O/S on my home and work computers, and use Edge on both some of the time.
    Facebook I play with, just a little, usually I forget to log on.
    Google is hard to extract from, at home Gmail, Maps etc and at work I use Ads and search.
    I actually hardly use Amazon, at least I rarely buy from them, possibly contact in other places.

25. salem

salem Well-Known Member

In terms of direct usage, I'm pretty tied into google, however I could use alternatives and before long would be fine - albeit a bit less efficient. MS, Amazon, Facebook I'm less reliant on and could pull out without much trouble. Apple I've not used in years.

In terms of not using these services at all - i.e even companies that use them - it'd be very very difficult if not impossible. As the article mentions AWS is a huge part of the infrastructure that runs the internet - my credit card provider and some unavoidable goverment services like HMRC use it for example.

Similarly things like google maps are embeded in loads of other services. Can you email someone with a gmail account, call someone who uses an iphone/android?

FWIW much as I *hate* Amazon, I don't have as much a problem with the AWS side of things. They're not working people to death for a pittance.

Credit where due, the site always runs super fast for me it seems pretty rock solid from an uptime point of view.

editor and 8ball like this.
  26. 8ball

I haven’t seen it wobble in ages and it’s quicker than just about anything. :thumbs:

27. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

I make use of Microsoft (my machine runs Windows 10), and have accounts with Amazon and Facebook, and I'm deep into the Google ecology through YouTube and Gmail. Apple can get to fuck though, I deliberately avoid using or installing any of their software and hardware, fuck Apple.

That article is very enlightening. It seems that the tech giants are very clever about hiding just how many services they control; they don't actively hide it, it's the sort of thing you can find out if you go looking, but neither do they clearly and unambiguously state it front and centre on their services. It seems to be a pattern that recurs often enough that I consider the tech giants to be effectively lying by omission, especially given the many concerns that have been voiced over the years concerning data gathering, the propagation of misinformation and collusion with authorities.

Individual action to eliminate or reduce the usage of Frightful Five services may be all well and good for the people concerned, but it's going to take state power to actually reign them in and give them the thumping that they well and truly deserve.

28. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Sadly, my phone runs Android which is Google. Other than that, I do not use Google or the others except for Microsoft.

29. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Amazon - can't do it, just couldn't go back to shopping the naff old way...:eek: plus AWS is my lifeblood.
    Facebook - ambivalent, kinda hate it, kinda have to be on it to stay in touch...
    Google - I'm a techy, simply couldn't do my job without Google, it's become indispensable.
    Microsoft - can fuck off, I avoid the bloated, bug ridden drivel like the plague, never use any MS stuff.
    Apple - similarly, hate them, don't go near them, they're for poncy types with more money than sense.

So I already don't use 2 of the 5.

Could cut out Amazon & Facebook but it'd be a wrench.

Google? No way man, it'd be easier to stop breathing.

30. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I'd find it difficult to do without some of them.

Microsoft - daily.
    FB - don't use at all.
    Google - daily.
    Apple - don't use at all, although I do have an old ipod sitting around somewhere.
    Amazon - sometimes, but prefer to use other retailers where possible.