Cork and Kerry recommendations

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Maggot, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

A good day out down those parts, missus and I done this a few years ago, first the Michael Collins Centre (his birthplace) just outside Clonakilty, from there down the N71 to Skibbereen, the Famine Commemoration Exhibition in the Heritage Centre is really rather humbling, followed by a visit to the famine pits in Abbeystrewery.

Just outside Skib on the way back along the N71 there's Irelands own Stonehenge - the Druids Altar/Drombeg Stone Circle and a coastal drive that would take your breath away at times, coming in the back way into Kinsale.

2. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Yuk!

3. Maggot

I'm going today and quite excited.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

krtek a houby and danny la rouge like this.
  4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Raddled old poet

Maggot likes this.
  5. spitfire

spitfire Toast

We're off to Rosslare on Friday for the weekend and then off to Cork (Clonakilty) for 3 days after. Some good recommendations. :) :thumbs:

Maggot and danny la rouge like this.
  6. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Not to mention the locals habit of pissing on it.

7. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

I spent every summer of my youth in Rosslare Strand in a caravan, not much to the place but holds such fond memories for me I love going back, there's a lovely beach there too. Kilmore Quay and Hook LIghthouse are good little spots for a quick visit, as is Wexford Town and none are far from Rosslare. If you do go in to Wexford Town try the famous rissoles in the Premier chipper on South Main St, opposite there's a pub called Bugler Doyles which has 1 of the nicest pints of Guinness you can get, + you can eat your rissoles in there.

spitfire likes this.
  8. Maggot

We had a lovely time. Visited Clonakilty, Bantry, Dingle, Baltimore, Drombeg Stone circle, Kinsale and Cobh. Didn't even make it into Cork, will have to go back again.

9. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Sounds great - I take it you mean you didn't make it into Cork City? It's alright but you managed to get to some lovely places!

10. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

:thumbs:

I love that part of Ireland. When I was 16 I went on a FAS course in Ballyferriter (proper Gaeltacht area) which is 8 miles west of Dingle (overrated place IMO), meant to be a 6 month computer course, meant to be... 6 months of mushrooms and poitin and ceili dances in all sorts of places between Ballyferriter West and Dunquin, I must have walked the Slea Head road a thousand times. Love going back there.

Is the horse still there on the way into the stone circle?

oryx and Maggot like this.
  11. Maggot

We didn't see the horse, but there was a cross in a circle made out of flowers, possibly something to do with the Solstice.

Dingle is very touristy, but they now have a brewery named after Tom Crean, one of my ancestors!

oryx likes this.
  12. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Went on holiday near there in 1990 - still remember a sunny day on the gorgeous beach at Ferriter's Cove.

13. Maggot

The Ring of Kerry smells nice but Macgillycuddy's reeks.

14. Maggot

Thinking of going back next year to do some Whale watching. What time of year is best for that?

15. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Maggot and pogofish like this.
  16. Maggot

Looks like I'm going back very soon. Hopefully to see some whales and Cork City. Just go to check a few things first.

krtek a houby and danny la rouge like this.
  17. Maggot

Probably not going now as my travelling companion doesn't want to go to Ireland. :(

Looking around for other destinations.

18. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

Is Cork worth going to gon holiday if you don't have a car?

19. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

You're fucked without a car in Kerry and the main big towns are ok but at least if you're in Cork you've a good chance of getting public transport to places like Clonakilty and Blarney. And Cork city itself is a good tourist spot (even if I hate it).

If you're not interested in a city break...then Killarney is lovely. The lakes and scenery are spectacular and you can get a jaunting car or go on bikes out to Muckross and the Killarney natuonal park.
    Great walks there...lovely waterfall..etc.
    Killarney is usually good for music events too. Plenty day tours around the ring of Kerry too.

Cork is a typical city...nothing too special despite it's reputation

krtek a houby, oryx and J Ed like this.
  20. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

Looks like there's a good rail link from Cork to Killarney too. Thanks :)

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  21. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

You'll get the best of both then :)

J Ed likes this.
  22. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

We are off to the Skibbereen area for a few days in September.

Guessing we'll mostly tool around by car but would be nice to get any tips on where to find seals in the area.

23. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Try the ilen river blueway Ilen River Blue Way launched there's a brochure with more info you can download

Artaxerxes likes this.
  24. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Killarney is a great place. Plus you're going at a quiet enough time. Fewer tourists. Killarney national park is gorgeous. Lovely drives and sightseeing around there.
    Dingle is very busy. Lovely but tourism has imo ruined it. Go along the coast to Sneem. Absolutely stunning drive around that peninsula ...the further south you go the better it gets.

Cork... hmm. West Cork is really beautiful. Clonakilty...Inchydoney...
    Cork city is mixed. Lively for music...etc.

25. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Oh :facepalm:

Just saw this was a 2016 thread.

:facepalm:

26. Maggot

:D

Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

you missed out dunmanway and kilmichael

Lupa likes this.
  28. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Night time kayaking on Lough Hyne and Whale Watching.

Fecking fab so. :thumbs:

krtek a houby likes this.
  29. hash tag

hash tag member

Anyone mention Castle Blarney?

30. flypanam

flypanam Docile slug

Listowel is pretty good town and close to Ballybunion which itself is a bit meh but has some of the best beaches and warm water around. Portmagee for the skelligs trip, careful though, the trip is rough and the smell of the guano can be overpowering and vomit inducing (I'm speaking from expereince)

krtek a houby likes this.