Cork and Kerry recommendations

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Maggot, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

We are going to Cork for a few days later this month and hiring a car. I haven't booked any accommodation yet, but will probably use Airbnb. So we are quite flexible.

I can't decide whether to stay in Cork or somewhere smaller like Killarney or Trallee. We are mostly interested in scenic walking (maybe coastal?), art, history and culture, good pubs and catching some of Euro 2016.

mystic pyjamas likes this.
  2. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

I'd definitely recommend going to Cork city then driving from there through all the towns and villages in West Cork ending up at Mizen Head. Some breath taking scenery once you get there and you'll also get to enjoy the quaint Irish villages.

In Kerry there's the obvious Ring of Kerry with equally amazing scenery and villages. You'll also find the Macgillycuddy's Reeks there which is home to Ireland's highest peaks.

Skellig Michael where they're filming the new Star Wars films is also off the coast of Kerry so if that's your thing you could try there. Just make sure you plan effectively because there will be a lot of driving involved. The roads are better than they were but they wind and meander all over the place so it's not like getting on the motorway so I would factor that in in your planning.

Anyway great part of the country and very welcoming people if you can understand them have a good time.

Lupa, Eggby, krtek a houby and 2 others like this.
  3. Maggot

Thanks mate. What's Killarney like?

A good place to stay?

4. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Kenmare's nice. We rented a cottage, that was average but the town was good.

Drive all the Rings, amazing scenery.

gosub and Maggot like this.
  5. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Raddled old poet

In Cork city, you need to go to the English Market. Cobh is worth checking out: it's a seaside town and the last port the Titanic called at.

Blarney isn't far from Cork city, but if you plant to kiss the Stone, get to the castle early or you'll queue for ages. To kiss a bit of wall.

There's plenty of places to visit in West Cork, like Clonakilty (black pudding, Michael Collins, De Barra's folk music pub), or Kinsale. But why not Buck the trend and head east to Midleton (where Midleton Very Rare and Jameson's whiskey are distilled. There's also a great bookshop), or Youghal, where there's beaches and a dog track?

Maggot likes this.
  6. oneflewover

oneflewover Following "The Tigers"

The story of Irish emigration and the Titanic at Cobh is worth a visit. Do the train from Cork. Lovely journey along the riverside

danny la rouge and Maggot like this.
  7. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

Killarney is a nice town with a good night life, traditional Irish music sessions and plenty of pubs. Place is very touristy though so if you're walking around during the day you'll find it's mostly old yanks coming back to see where they heard their great great great grandfather came from.

I'd personally try to get a cottage in the countryside for that authentic feel plus with a car you can travel to all these places and take a look anyway.

Maggot likes this.
  8. Maggot

I kissed the Blarneystone on my previous visit to Ireland in 1994.

I was in Dublin when Ireland beat Italy in the '94 World Cup, and I'm gonna be in Cork for the rematch.

Lupa and danny la rouge like this.
  9. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I've been to this part of the world three times but none of them very recently!

The last time was during the 1990 World Cup when a load of us rented a house near Dingle (Kerry). Dingle is lovely (lively & friendly town with lots of folk music pubs) and well worth a visit if you get the chance.

It's a lovely region.

Maggot likes this.
  10. Maggot

Is Funghi the Dolphin still around?

11. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

He was around in 1990. I seem to remember a few of us went on a boat trip to see if we could spot him and didn't!

Unless dolphins have good longevity he's probably either a) dead or b) a 'different' Funghi :hmm:;)

Maggot likes this.
  12. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

Rob a bank / sell a kidney before you go

13. flypanam

flypanam Docile slug

Baltimore in west cork is beautiful and has some interesting history, ask anyone there about the towns problems with pirates.

Cork city is great fun, some really good bars. Clonakilty is pretty special too.

14. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I just got back from Cork.

The city is nice enough, some good bars and gigs if you're lucky. I'd recommend Cobh and Crosshaven for getting out of the city. Further afield, Skibbereen, Clonakilty are nice. I also went to Castletownbere and Bere Island last weekend which is about 2 hrs drive out of Cork. Bere Island is a 10 min ferry from Castletownbere and you can take the car on it. The island has some amazing coastline, 2 pubs, and a fort :cool:

Kerry is great too especially for beaches. Ballybunion is a good sandy one, gets quite touristy in good weather.

pogofish, Maggot and danny la rouge like this.
  15. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Kissing that bit of wall that hundreds of other tourists have been doing the same thing to. Yuk!

hash tag likes this.
  16. Maggot

oryx likes this.
  17. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I was in Killarney last year. Walking the Gap of Dunloe was great as was carrying on and picking up a ferry the otherside to take you back via 'Upper Lake.'

Carrauntoohil is a fine climb if you're fit and the weather is with you. 1038m Ireland's highest. We did it from the Hydrotrack carpark nr Ballyculane, fairly obvious horsehoe walk around various summits. Most incredible views of the whole peninsula. See the view here

Pubs seem to be the main industry in Killarney !

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Eggby likes this.
  18. Maggot

That looks amazing!

Would Killarney be a good place to watch Ireland V Italy in a pub?

19. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I guess so. It's quite a boozy late night kind of place generally. The only business in town it seems. There's a nice youth hostel there too. Think grand house.

As far as Carauntoohil is concerned maps are problematic in Ireland and what with the weather it's probably best to go up the most popular route here. All this is weather dependent of course. Our other route was a bit full on but someone had a gps plot that we followed around the horsehoe on the otherside. The summit is obvious, a massive cross.

20. flypanam

flypanam Docile slug

Pretty much anywhere will be good to watch the footy. From GAA, Hurling, Rugby and football people hit the pubs. Towns become deserted for the big games. Always good fun.

If your around on the 19th and in the mood for live sport and happy to drive to Thurles you could catch the Limerick v Tipp hurling semi final.

Maggot likes this.
  21. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The Beara Peninsula, which lies between Bantry and Kenmare is a lovely place - and much busy/touristy compared to Kerry.

22. Maggot

Much busy? :confused:

23. pogofish

Much less busy. :)

24. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

hash tag and Maggot like this.
  25. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Baltimore is great craic. You can get a ferry out to Clear Island, there's a nice B&B there "Ard na Gaoithe"

http://ardnagaoithe.ie/

Go further west out to Portmagee in Kerry & take a ferry out to see the Skelligs; if you're lucky you might see dolphins...

26. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

It's getting busyer nowadays. although i've not been in ages. family mainly goes to banna strand nowadays.

27. Maggot

So we're staying near Bantry for the first couple of nights. I was looking to stay in Cork but the only places available are really expensive. Would we be better off staying somewhere else, like Clonakilty and driving in?

28. pogofish

I liked Bantry a lot. Not as touristy as some of the towns a bit further north or south but not far from them either, so a good base. Several good pubs round the square IIRC

Maggot likes this.
  29. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music

Hutcha Boy!

Tripe and drisheen -- a culinary experience not to be missed:
    [​IMG]

30. hash tag

hash tag member

I suspect you either have the gift of the gab or you don't and stretching out over a wall to kiss it will make little difference.