1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolist squat party locations

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Fidel, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Fidel

Fidel Dono de Pousada

We are all used to arriving at a dirty warehouse complete with flooded toilets and dog shit on the dance floor, every now and then you go to a random location thats somewhere special and even clean.

This thread is to big up the squatters who sort(ed) the locations for us to party in.

These are my favs, though most of the crews responsiable have probably retired by now.

1) An art deco bingo hall some where near battersee/clapham I think around 99
    2) Kings Cross dole office for a News years eve
    3) Some bank in Streatham, with vault as chill out room
    4) A college in Camdam that had more rooms that you could fill sound system with, the first party the bathrooms where all still perfectly clean with soap, tracing paper toilet roll and paper towels - was like going back to school.
    5) A squatted miltary base on the cliffs of the costa brava in 2000, complete with round anti aircraft gun bunkers with a sound system in each. :D

Ralph Llama likes this.
  2. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

I went to those three, all good..
    my favourite was either the Coronet - that was mental! - or the school in Stockwell :D

3. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Went to that one on my birthday 1997. They must have only recently closed it, as there were some photos of staff still around the place. :D

Crackin' night. :cool:

Also the Telewest building in Wood Green. Lovely toilests. :)

4. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Gants Hill cinema was good.

There haven't been that many that have stood out though since I've been going (since about 2001).

A couple of the NYE ones just down to the size of the buildings & the number of rigs in there.

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Definitely nye 2004-5 just for the insane size and the view from the roof.

6. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Roundabout at Waterloo :cool:

Sunrise looked beautiful on the Thames. Houses of Parliament in one direction, munters that had overdone it being stretchered over to St Thomas' in the other. :D

7. art of fact

art of fact wavvvey

Stanmore was one of my faves.. being mashed then realising your in a squash court was cool and the view from the top of the hill was one of the best of london ive ever seen.. looked like an oil painting

8. boing!

boing! hairy cheese eater

yeah that leisure centre was fucking cool. :cool:

I remember a party nearish London Bridge I think in a very new shiny office block, they hadn't put the floor down so there was a step down at each door, all the banisters still had the plastic protective covers on and the toilets were all new and clean, and you could get onto the roof. :cool: Don't know how they managed to get that place!

9. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Well-Known Member

The 50p building, ain't much of that left now either.

10. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

London Cinemas, lot's of 'em ,:cool:

Ralph Llama likes this.
  11. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

a massive building near the old guinness factory in park royal stood out for me for its sheer size - this was quite a long time ago.

an old police station - chill out in the cells

tottenham court road when the frenchies came over - had some humour value on sunday morning with the tourists and shoppers

bathroom showroom in liverpool street - with a huge wooden floored building behind it, was vast and i am not unconvinced it wasnt an old victoria workhouse.

cement works in shoreham

carpenters road when it was first being done

i could go on :D

Ralph Llama likes this.
  12. Doctor Carrot

Doctor Carrot Bear Grylls grills bare bears

Hehe :D It only looked like an oil painting cause we were both on acid, that party was :cool:

13. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

The AXA insurance building in borough high street was a good'un. Even the phones were still working so I could call up the folks in NZ - 'Hi Mum, I'm at a squat party!' :)

14. zenie

zenie >^^<

Still there that is too!!! :cool:

15. RaverDrew

That was fuckin mental, :cool: wasn't it some sort of old AA building ? I seem to remember finding all this AA headed paper in there.

Was right in the middle of some dual carriageway.

16. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

Annoyingly, the very first I went to was probably the best for quality of the building - the one at the old cinema in Wood Green. It was in pretty good nick, although as I understand it that party was partly a protest against the building being knocked down, so obviously they weren't going to totally trash it...

17. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

:D

18. RaverDrew

Mad outdoorish one in Canning Town was good fun. DLR ran practically right through the middle of it. Good fun waving at all the people on the train on Sunday morning. :D

19. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

i *think* this might be a different building.

this was a huge brick industrial complex/ex factory. built around the same time as guinness. long gone now :(

so many parties down that way tho innit. saturday nights were hackney or park royal for years :D

20. Mooncat

Mooncat Hug me - I'm vaccinated

Put on parties in an old Territorial Army base. Had the rig set up in the firing range! Also done a party on Halloween in an old funeral directors – loads of punk bands playing in the basement plus the usual tekno mayhem in the garage. Found a few body bags and a black traffic cone with a crucifix on it. Another Halloween bash was in an empty mental hospital.

Remember that party at Shorham cement works - Old bill told us over the tannoy that they wern't gonna be responsible for any accidents but to have a good night all the same

21. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i liked that department store on shoreditch high street, it wasn't exactly clean tho

22. xes

xes F.O.A.D

I went to one once,about 95/6 in an old BAE building. Some clever drugged up people had built a space craft out of stuff left laying about. And it looked like it might have worked :D It was all suspended from the ceiling. Dunno who it was or where it was.

That one in Liverpool street, the bathroom showroom place was good,but I was only there for about an hour or so.

Sonic (i think) did one in an old night club in bow,went to a couple there in the mid ninties that were great.

I can remember one in an old building round London Bridge,near a night club (called innersense?) Which I then worked in a few years later :cool:

23. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Reclaim the Future, Feb 2003 and June 2005, both had excellent locations ...

:cool:

Going back further, some of the early parties at the Rainbow Centre in Kentish Town were pretty good ... :cool:

And who can forget Cooltan in its glory days, circa 95-96 or so? :cool:

24. boing!

boing! hairy cheese eater

this threads just making me realise I havn't been to a good squat party for fucking ages. :(

25. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

yeh that was the one i was talking about

26. mosquito

mosquito bzzzzzzzzzzz

to go back even further, one of the best 'party' venues of all time and which probably started it all was Energy at Westway Film Studios in early 89.

27. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Well-Known Member

I was at one there, seems like years ago now, I moved to bow a few years after and could never really work out where it was, think it was next to the big Tescos which I don't remember being there,

28. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

did u get into the old warehouse at the back? just went on and on.

crazy building. great views off the roof to :cool:

29. art of fact

art of fact wavvvey

yeah right :( another vote goes to a big old solicitors office that was a punk squat. leftover crack played and they had really good wonky techno upstairs.. they still had old filing cabinets around with old case notes lying around.. was quite ironic reading about people breaking the law in a squat

30. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i guess maybe not? i went up about 4 or 5 empty floors, it was pretty big, was that it? and on the roof too