1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlled parking zones in Lambeth

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Brixton Hatter, Dec 7, 2009.

1. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

You say this but, if buses and tubes weren't so good the traffic would be a nightmare for ones Bentley.

Public transport is of significant benefit for the people who don't use it too.

Alex

2. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

well yes, the first to use that exact phrase perhaps, as part of a post which reflected that discussing CPZs "brings out some odd passions", but that was long after you'd started banging on about how dreadful the "self-interested justifications for car ownership" of other people are. How very dare they figure out what they want for themselves.

You'll be pleased to know I'm unlikely to be anywhere near U75 today, so you can carry on telling people that you know best and that what you want is what they should want, if only they'd bin their own self-interest.

3. technical

technical stripey

We've just had a letter about a consultation on a new CPZ (between Brixton Hill and Tulse Hill) but the consultation period appears to be less than two weeks, which is a bit crap. Response rate bound to be tiny

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

There have been meetings/consultations etc. on this for months now. The leaflet (if it's the same one I got) show 58% in favour, 35% opposed iirc.

I think this is the final formal consultation for planning purposes.

5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Yep, there was an extensive survey document sent out about it a few months ago - maybe longer. There are notices up around Archbishops Place saying its being implemented.

6. technical

technical stripey

Yeah, got the earlier one. But the proposals appear to have changed slightly and a two week window for people to respond is crap - particularly when its around the Easter holiday.

Getting a bigger response rate is surely helpful in giving the final result better credibility. I'm in favour of it anyway.

7. shakespearegirl

I'm in favour of it... We don't even have a car, but the commuters circling every morning looking for parking is annoying... Especially annoying is the woman who works for Lambeth who sits in her car for an hour with the motor running watching youtube

Angellic, Gramsci and Metroman like this.
  8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Video her and stick it on YouTube.

Angellic and T & P like this.
  9. ricbake

ricbake working out how

The leaflet posted to all in Vassall area and Brixton Hill for the two schemes are the result of the previous consultations and as Crispy says this is now the formal consultation prior to implementation.

Proposed controlled parking zone Vassall area | Lambeth Council
    Brixton Hill controlled parking zone consultation | Lambeth Council

The shortness of the consultation period is a problem but they are still open to suggestions.

The informal consultation was flawed to a degree in that the choices for the hours of operation were limited and exclusive
    You could choose for all day ie 8:30 to 18:30 but not for just until 17:30 - if you chose that option you could not express any preference for a shorter period. If you chose 4 hours or 2 hour - it was one or the other.

This is the result from appendix F of the Vassall consultation just for the new "V" zone

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Vassall-Area-Informal-Consultation-Results.pdf
    upload_2017-4-2_9-10-34.png

They only had 351 responses from 8910 households so 50.1% is 176 of them opting for all day where 18.8% + 26.5% = 45.3% is 159

This means the decision to go for all day restrictions was down to 17 households out of 8910 (and 16 people didn't respond to the question!)

I would prefer a 2 hour or 4 hour restriction like the Herne Hill area.

Also there should be some more provision for cycles and motor cycles Perhaps more spaces near the parks and local businesses for short period free parking.

Please write to Richard Lancaster, Jenny Brathwaite and the CPZ Consultation if you do want changes - it doesn't take many people to have an effect

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  10. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Are there any updates on the new CPZ's?

11. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Angellic likes this.
  12. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

13. technical

technical stripey

Brixton hill one being implemented from Monday although not operational till end of September

14. technical

technical stripey

White lines appearing on the streets around us. Even though it doesn't apply until first week of October it's had an immediate impact as people assume its already in place. Result.

ricbake and Angellic like this.
  15. ricbake

ricbake working out how

It's had an impact around Myatts Field and I suspect come the 2nd October when they start to enforce it will be even more dramatic.

Permits are now available via the online Lambeth Parking Services - up to £184 for an annual "virtual" permit depending on the car/engine size.
    Also minimum of 10 visitor permits at £46.

16. shakespearegirl

There is a huge amount of moaning going on our street Google Group

17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Charges are a bit steep tbh, in particular because they are not meant to be a tax on car ownership or 'rental' fee for use of public space, but simply a fee for residents who apply for a permit once an area becomes controlled.

If the charge was presented as tax or a 'rental fee' for car ownership and parking rights in the busy and congested city that London is, it might seem more justified and I reckon most people would accept it with less fuss. But seeing as the scheme is usually peddled to residents as a tool to deter outside commuters from parking on their streets, the charges seem very high. Permits could even be justified to be issued for free, or for a small admin fee, if the reason for controlled zones really is about deterring out-of-towners from driving in and parking. What logic is there behind charging people £180 a year? And why not do it all across Lambeth if the justifications were environmental?

18. technical

technical stripey

They don't do it Lambeth-wide as they have to consult residents beforehand. As there isn't a problem in some places, people will say no. But then cars get displaced from elsewhere and people change their minds and lobby for parking controls. This happened in our neighbourhood. So you get this piecemeal, incremental approach to parking which ends up pissing off most people in one way or another.

I agree the charges seem steep, particularly as new permits are going to be electronic. We lived closer to Brixton town centre in the mid-2000s when it was introduced in our street and i seem to remember the cost then was around £60 per year, although i could be wrong. But the council is financially stuffed - i don't have a problem with any revenue made from this scheme being spent on roads/public realm works elsewhere in Lambeth.

19. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

I'm really concerned that there will be a big increase in the numbers of cars parking in our estate car park which has sign up but is not enforced - it doesn't help that one of the big signs at the entrance has gone missing

20. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I would think that much of the money goes on enforcing the rules ie paying for parking wardens or whether pc term they are now called. So it's a viscious circle...