1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlled parking zones in Lambeth

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Brixton Hatter, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

Or if everyone had a jet pack.

Gramsci, Metroman and teuchter like this.
  2. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I had an argument on here, years ago, about whether CPZs were a modern version of the Enclosures Acts! It seems to be a topic that brings out some odd passions. I get the sentiment that wants a completely carfree city, though I see no prospect of that being introduced in current conditions without both serious authoritarian force and substantial resistance- comfortable personal transportation is very close to the hearts of an awful lot of people, and possibly the only personal space available to some.

So in the meantime, CPZs matter, but they remain a blunt instrument based on a piece of paper in the windscreen. They'll be smarter in future, and anyway at some point autonomous vehicles will change the equation (if the car comes to you the carclub model becomes a lot more convenient, and if they're universal you'll simply order one with kids seats or mobility aids).

Metroman likes this.
  3. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Were you trying to find a parking space?

wiskey, Sea Lion, Crispy and 2 others like this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

if everyone in lambeth had a garage, a large proportion of them would be council tenants and pay rent for them to the council. in addition, many, many people in lambeth don't drive and have no car so most of these garages would either be empty, sublet or used for storage.

Metroman likes this.
  5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

More like any arrangement with free on-street parking is a version of the Enclosures acts, because it reserves the use of common land for a select group of people (car owners). And in London, they are a minority and broadly represent the more wealthy portion of the population.

Gramsci likes this.
  6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

This is a slightly ridiculous argument - it'a not like we could turn the same space into a park.

And it does at least make some sense to reserve parking space for residents.

Alex

Metroman likes this.
  7. Winot

Have you ever seen a street cleared of cars for a street party or turned into a play street? It's shocking how much extra space there is.

Streets absolutely are public space, and when cleared of cars kids play on them just like a park.

Gramsci, Sea Lion, colacubes and 2 others like this.
  8. teuchter

We could plant trees, greenery, provide seating.

More car club parking.

Provide lots more cycle parking (the cycle hangars in Lambeth are oversubscribed and people tell me it can be a battle just to get one installed on their street)

Even provide some general external storage space for people's other private posessions. If someone can use the space to store their privately owned car, why can't I use it to store my privately owned lawnmower/tent/inflatable dinghy?

There are loads of other ways we could use the space.

Gramsci, Sea Lion and Crispy like this.
  9. Metroman

Metroman Active Member

Wait until the Government introduces road charging, this will be a fairer charge on all motorist, including those with garages!

10. teuchter

Road charging will only address the parking issue if it includes a measure of parking usage in its calculation. Use of roads to get around on, and use of roads to park your car on, are two separate things and should be charged independently of one another.

Metroman likes this.
  11. teuchter

By the way another use of the space that could be freed up by removing on-street parking: fully segregated cycle lanes and/or wider pavements.

12. Metroman

Metroman Active Member

Thanks, very true - can we have a garage tax introduced to please:p

13. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

And where do you propose the card which currently park on the road go ?

14. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

It's enclosure act for the well off. See teuchter post here 153.

To compare the enclosure acts with CPZs is an insult to the ordinary people who lost out with the enclosure acts. You hould read some history.

15. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

erm, perhaps my post wasn't clear, it was a point put forward by someone else, which I thought ridiculous.

16. teuchter

Away. That's the point :facepalm:

17. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Where too ? Like magically disappear or round the corner to less middle class streets where people who lobby for "green streets" or whatever this is called don't live ?

18. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

We could turn it into cycle lanes or wider pavements

In Tokyo car ownership is only allowed if you have an off-street parking space and there are generally no parked cars on the streets - it makes for a much nicer urban environment and is much more pleasurable to walk in than London

Gramsci likes this.
  19. Winot

People will be less likely to buy cars. Gradually there will be fewer.

SpamMisery likes this.
  20. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

And what happens to congested streets in the meantime ?

This thread started off with residents lobbying their councillors for something to resolve their problem that are too many cars parked on a lot of Lambeth streets so your solution is - we should reduce the amount of parking on the streets ?

How do you think this will go down with residents ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  21. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Well-Known Member

Sad, but seeing someone use "fewer" correctly made me smile.

Smick likes this.
  22. teuchter

What specific hypothetical situation are you asking about?

23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

You said

I replied.

24. teuchter

You'd said "it's not like we could turn the same space into a park" and I responded by giving lots of suggestions as to how on-street parking space could be put to other uses.

I wasn't proposing any particular strategy to get rid of the cars to achieve this; I was simply illustrating that if we can get rid of the cars there are plenty of other things we can do with the space.

I can't tell you what would happen to the currently existing cars without knowing what strategy would be pursued.

My preference would be simply to have no privately owned cars in London whatsoever. I suspect that would be too radical for your liking. There are intermediate measures which could go some way to reducing car usage and each would have different effects. There are also all sorts of different timescales over which changes could be made.

25. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

No - perfectly happy with this suggestion, as long as there is a narrative which gets us from
    "I need somewhere to park" to "I don't need a car".

26. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

Fleets of on-demand autonomous electric cars that can be stored in highly space-efficient "silos" and only go on the road when responding to a hail or taking people somewhere.

Gramsci likes this.
  27. teuchter

Not sure exactly what you mean by a "narrative" in this context but an intermediate step between those statements almost certainly has to be "crikey I'm spending a lot of money paying to park this car".

28. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

and takes account of the fact that there are n million people living in London all of whom are entitled to a view on their preferences for the future of personal transportation. Apart from anything else, nobody has mention Mobility vehicles or holders of disabled badges.

Obviously it's only a hunch, but I suspect that if there was a proper referendum, with all views properly put, there would be an overwhelming vote in favour of keeping cars. Until the groundswell of opinion can reverse that this conversation is rather divorced from reality.

29. Winot

Of course when asked most people vote for self interest. The way most people think is "what difference does it make if I drive my car to work - besides it's wet and I don't want to share a smelly bus". But n million people cannot each own and drive a car - London would collapse.

It's a classic reactionary tactic to look at the extreme point of change and say that there's no way we can jump from A to Z therefore it's not worth moving to B. Good leadership recognises that B is a worthwhile staging post. Once we are at B, C doesn't look so bad.

We already have policy to discourage driving into central London e.g. high parking charges, congestion zone. They were pretty unpopular when introduced too.

Gramsci and teuchter like this.
  30. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

it's reactionary to suggest that what people want matters? Interesting.

alex_ likes this.