1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlled parking zones in Lambeth

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Brixton Hatter, Dec 7, 2009.

1. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

you could consider friends and tradespeople who need to park during the day. Our CPZ is 10-12am and works perfectly well to keep commuters out without penalising visitors too much.

Jangleballix likes this.
  2. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Someone else on here was noting that you can do pay by mobile on those 10-12 cpzs. So I could park by Herne Hill station on Carver Road, head into Victoria, set an alarm to get on to my app at 09.55, pay for two hours' parking, I don't need to put a ticket on my window. It just makes it cheaper and easier for those commuters.

3. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

in the case of the vassal cpz the commuters who have been causing "problems" are mostly identified as people who work at the Camberwell Bus garage and Kings college hospital so basically people working in public services....often with anti social hours and for not much money.....they can't park nearer work because it's all CPz's.....other "problems" included desperate people living in vehicles

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Actually I am in pretty much the same position, down to the number of miles and number of children :)

And as for the highlighted bit, any fixed tax is going to be less of a burden for the well off. It wouldn't be practical to have an income-adjusted parking rate.

5. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

resident parking only, except for a couple of bays there is no pay by text or anything else.

6. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

ps, is there a 2 hour limit? don't underestimate the wardens, they do a sweep at 10.05 and 11.55 most days.

7. Smick

But a 15 year old Merc A Class, which we had, will cost £260 to park, due to its ancient engine technology, and a brand new one will cost £110. I think it's safe to assume that the latter has the more disposable income. And the owner of the latter might do 20,000 miles per year with me doing 2,000.

I thought, having paid off the car a while back, that buses, taxis, and first class train travel for longer trips would cost the same or less, but without the heartache of car ownership. It didn't work out that way.

Parking shouldn't be linked to emissions over a single km. They should up the duty on petrol, abolish road tax and council parking income and then distribute some of the extra petrol income to the councils.

8. Winot

I agree that better and fairer systems could be devised*. But what you've suggested involves a substantial change at central government level. Ain't gonna happen. Parking permits is all the powers LAs have.

[*I would be in favour of road user pricing for example, linked by GPS to the car, with position-based automatic speed limitation. Technologically possible and politically impossible.]

9. Smick

Just stick extra tax on petrol and diesel. More miles = more tax. It makes so more sense than taxing a cars propensity to pollute, emission level, than its actual pollution, fuel burnt.

10. Winot

Yeah, I'd be in favour of that. But it's unlikely to happen. Remember the fuel duty protests? And none of the money goes to the local authorities.

11. ricbake

ricbake working out how

12. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

A friend of mine does. It works well for him. Some car clubs do vans as well.

I don't know how well served Lambeth us by car clubs.

In Westminster there are loads. Including electric cars.

Its the way forward for car use.

ricbake likes this.
  13. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I have used Zipcar (previously streetcar) for about 5 years. Generally always a car within 10 mins walk even at short notice.

ricbake and Gramsci like this.
  14. teuchter

You are moaning, as someone who can afford to buy and run a car, about what amounts to a couple of pounds a week.

There are plenty of people in London who can't afford to own a car at all. Lots of them have children.

Every person in London who decides to own a car, makes things a little bit worse for everyone else in London who doesn't own a car - whether by choice or as a result of financial circumstance.

And anyone with children who decides to use a car, in particular makes things more difficult for people with children who don't own a car.

The "but I've got children" excuse needs to be thrown into the bin alongside all the other self-interested justifications for car ownership.

15. Smick

I am not sure it is an excuse, but it definitely is why I own a car. Obviously the wellbeing of my kids, and my sanity, is of no concern to the rest of London, and I accept that each additional car on the road makes the city marginally worse for all its inhabitants, but there are those much worse than parents. Lots of drivers seem to just go round and round, listening to music. Some people drive to the McDonalds drive through, then drive home again with their burgers. Some people even drive to the park to go for a run!

When you have the kids in the car, there is very little can go wrong. Compared to going to Tulse Hill station, lugging a buggy up the stairs, trying to get the kids to stand behind the yellow line, carrying your day's drinks and snacks on your back. Or getting kids on and off a bus when brain donors won't move away from the buggy area, when bus drivers think they are Felipe Massa and my kids go flying across the bus, when you're waiting at a bus stop and the bus is full. All of that shite. Give me the car any day. And I don't feel guilt about it.

16. teuchter

I think that you've kind of ignored the point that the more parents who take kids on public transport instead of their cars, the better it is for all parents who either want to or have to take their kids on public transport. Just like the more cyclists there are on the road, the safer it is for all cyclists. The more kids who walk to school, the safer it is for all kids who walk to school.

Anyway, fair enough if you refuse to feel any guilt. We all do stuff that is ultimately driven by self interest, of course. But I also think anyone who decides to own a car in London, where it's a privilege, not a necessity, can shut up complaining about the measly amount they have to pay to park it on public land that could be used for other purposes that would benefit everyone. It's massively underpriced as it is, in my opinion. And especially in the context of current council funding shortfalls.

I keep my bike in one of those on-street hangers. There are 6 spaces and I think I pay about £40 a year. 6 x 40 = £240 so proportionately I'm paying more than twice as much as the £110 for a new "low" pollution car you mention. And I actually think what I pay is really cheap.

Gramsci and colacubes like this.
  17. cuppa tee

I'd fuck cars off completely in an ideal world, signing up to some kind of yuppie utopia sanctioned by global brands so I can zip around the metropolis in a metal box is the worst of both worlds, sorry Gramsci but this is greenwash to the max.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  18. cuppa tee

bollocks...the money goes to the people who administer the CPZ namely national car parks ltd.

19. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

That's incredible, so they pick up the permit fees and the fines?

20. teuchter

Thanks to the campaigns of car owners, councils are currently banned from taking the money. That's not how it should be. But shows how ingrained car culture is.

21. Winot

I didn't know that :(

22. cuppa tee

depends on your perspective, I'd say it was more symptomatic of neoliberal economics but good to get confirmation.....

nemoanonemo likes this.
  23. teuchter

Feel free to explain your perspective, whatever it is.

24. cuppa tee

.....thanks, but not tonight :)

25. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

This is the kind of comment I get from some car owners. They of course want an ideal world without cars but any reforms to reduce car use ( cycle highways, road closures, CPZ etc), and they will give you reasons why they won't work or are the wrong way to go about it. But of course they are very concerned about environment. Had a van driver trying to tell me that electric vehicles are not the answer as they are quiet last week. Which makes them dangerous. He also tried to tell me that cycle highways are more dangerous than being on the road. He knew as his mate cycles and told him that.

I give up arguing. People get visceral about the right to own and drive a car.

Car Clubs are a reformist measure. They provide an alternative for those who want to have access to a car.

The reason I said it's the future is it can be part of a range of modes of transport. Paris for example has a car version of "Boris bikes". It's about reducing idea that ownership of transport is necessary. In future one could have an Oyster card to cover everything from bikes to trains.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Plumdaff, Winot and teuchter like this.
  26. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I was against the CPZ where I live Brixton/Tulse Hill when consulted a few years back. Now though, things are so bad with traffic generally anything that gets cars off the road is a good thing. I cycle through Myatt's Field and it's just stupid; there are too many parked cars and it ends up being a road block. I resent getting a permit for friends and work vehicles but I guess it's a price worth paying.

27. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

At less than £5 a day permits are not bad value though. If only the scratchies were easier to get hold of - I've often been told that I don't automatically meet the requirements and need to go through a whole host of other paperwork despite having been on the electoral role / council tax / held permits at the same address for fifteen years.

That's nuts.

28. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Who needs CPZs?
    One way that I have seen a neighbour (Tulse Hill) preserve the rights of residents to park in the street, rather than incoming commuters is:
    1) Parent puts kid in car to do school run.
    2) Simultaneously the spouse pops out and puts cones in the street outside the front door
    3) Parent A comes back from school run. Parks up outside the house again, removes cones and walks off to the station

What's not to like?
    ;)

29. teuchter

Do you know why they think they need to drive the kid to school? Are they frightened about the kid's safety on public transport/walking or something?

30. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Can't be sure - I have never asked them. I forget which school the child is at, so it may be an awkward journey by public transport - and I can understand the reticence to let kids cycle round the south circular.
    TBH it was not so much the driving the kid bit that I was trying to comment on, it was the use of cones (apparently) to preserve their bit of pavement: It seemed a little passive aggressive / proprietorial to me.

We must all recognized that we do not own the area of street outside our home. Though I am the first to admit that I get narked if I have to park up more that 5m from the front door. first world problems heh?