Contemporary science fiction and right-wing politics

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by J Ed, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

One of the themes in Ursula LeGuins "The Dispossessed" is the relationship of the individual and the collective. It's an old book but still worth reading. I wouldn't call this novel either a dystopia or utopia. She is looking at how a communist society would work in practice. The problems it would have to overcome.

2. Happy Larry

Happy Larry Banned Banned

Have we not already seen various examples of this, courtesy of Stalin, Mao, Castro, Pol Pot and Kim Jong-un?

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

You should read the novel. It's two planets. The smaller is libertarian communism/ anarchist the other is like the world of the writers time split between Capitalist states and authoritarian communist states.

NoXion likes this.
  4. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

We've seen various examples of whaling, but it doesn't mean Moby Dick isn't worth a read.

5. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Happy Larry really isn't worth reading or replying to.

krtek a houby likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

no

next

mojo pixy likes this.
  7. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

I prefer his earlier work

8. Happy Larry

Happy Larry Banned Banned

I've already seen many documentaries on how Communism has been a total failure. I'll skip the novel.

A rather brief "wot i rekkon" , Pickman. Could you elaborate on why Communism has not worked for those leaders who have promoted it? I predict not.

9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

This is a thread about science fiction writing. If you want to talk about something else start a thread please.

10. Pickman's model

Yes, yes I could. Go and start a thread about it

Gramsci likes this.
  11. Mordi

Mordi Amoral adventurist

Steady on!

I've been busy formulating a defence of Ken MacLeod and now I have to come up with one for Moorcock too?

Anyway, I like MacLeod's ideas in his books because they're so evidently coming from his reading and political development, especially his earlier stuff. Whilst this is hilariously sectarian at times, it does present situations and ideas that are new to me, but I also don't think would get developed by other writers working in SF.

Ta for the link, some good ideas in that thread. And reminded me I'm part way through The Case of Comrade Tulayev! Just have to find it and the other half a dozen Victor Serge books I'm most of the way through.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Terry Manners and Gramsci like this.
  12. Ralph Llama

Ralph Llama Fuck the system.

I think Black Mirror is a little deeper than that, and tries to provoke dissent (quite blatently in some episodes)
    Apart from that i agree. Hollywood regurgitates the christ myth, communism consistently being undermined.
    Example : The Hollywood film Battle in Seattle

Battle in Seattle (2007) - IMDb

film depicts WTO closure... imo not very well at all. In fact deliberatley misleading.
    White Aplha Male Leader : How are we going to do this?
    Followers : Autonamousley !
    not to even go into the way the film demonised the `trouble makers` (who won the day btw) and you get this disgusting subnarattive about thefucking riot cop whos wife was having a baby so thats why he got a little stressed and beat unarmed protestors and gassed them... i could go on and on

13. Pickman's model

sadly you already do

14. Ralph Llama

Again veiled insults , you cant even deal with any of the points i make. This is very good for my ego :thumbs:

15. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Welcome to Urban..! :D

16. Ralph Llama

Thanks m8e :) ....interesting place. Okokok i probably should have noticed it sometime in the past 30 years :oops:

pogofish likes this.
  17. Pickman's model

i'm very sorry, i didn't think the insult was in any way veiled.

18. Ralph Llama

you have a point there :) Well done . I hope that makes up for the other failings in your life :/

Did you like the nice disney protest film (Battle Seattle)? Is that why your being a git or do you just use the internet to vent your bile at people who dont care about you or your easily damaged ego :/

Edit--- Ok:oops: thats my insecurities.... a defensive move

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  19. Terry Manners

Terry Manners Start from the outside and move in.

There is an ignore function so you can ignore individual posters.

maomao likes this.
  20. Ralph Llama

21. TruXta

TruXta tired

Couldn't really find a better thread for this.

Interview with Kim Stanley Robinson

Opener:

Gramsci likes this.
  22. nyxx

nyxx Active Member

I noticed that a lot of the “right wing” sci-fi mentioned in the OP were TV series. I would posit that you’d find a broader range of political ideology in written sci-fi. As we are seeing in the discussion, of course, but seems like that detail has been skipped over. Books don’t need the same degree of financial investment as series for broadcasting on screens, and there’s a lot less editorial control. For sure it’d still go on in writing and publishing but nowhere near to the same extent.

23. Pickman's model

there wouldn't need to be much editorial control with books as so many of them - even ones which go on to become best sellers - are rejected many times before finding a publisher, if indeed they ever do.