Contemporary art show recommendations

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by ska invita, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Only go to a gallery about once a year but would like to go more often... But only if there's something really good showing.

So please bump this thread if you have a recommendation. Ideally new work please.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I saw this exhibition of photography at Hauser and Worth in Saville Row ( near Oxford Circus tube station) recently.

Its a guy who worked in Germany. Documentary photography of people in Germany. His work was suppressed by Nazis as degenerate.

Fascinating exhibition from the early days of photography. He wanted to document all classes and types of people in Germany. Nazis didn't like his openness to all kinds of identities.

Exhibitions — August Sander Men Without Masks - August Sander - Hauser & Wirth

Imo way ahead of his time. His portraits seem straight forward and documentary but have haughting quality to them.

Must see. And still on free.

Not quite "new" but this exhibition was a revelation. The way he photographed looked modern to me.

4. Gramsci

ska invita

I saw this free exhibition at the Wellcome Institute. Its on for a while. Four art installation on issues connected to science.

I really liked it.

Somewhere in Between

One was film of "free divers". They dive without oxygen just holding there breath. Another installation was about "mirroring". A few people have neurological problem. They feel what others nearby feel.

Fascinating stuff. Well laid out and curated.

Wellcome institute do good work getting artists and scientists working together.

discobastard and ska invita like this.
  5. ska invita

excellent...have wanted to go to Wellcome for a long time...im often up that way and they often seem to have interesting things i hear....will definitely follow up on this ...thanks

Gramsci likes this.
  6. discobastard

discobastard _______\+/_______

+1 for this, went a month ago and it was great. They have some really good stuff at Wellcome, went to a great exhibition a year or so ago on the history of Asylums. And the shop is decent, some really interesting books.

Round the corner we found that the UCL has a museum of Egyptology. If you're at Wellcome, it's worth the 10 or so minute walk round the back to see that.

ska invita and Gramsci like this.
  7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

If you're ever in Yorkshire (especially in the Summer as its mostly outside), the Yorkshire Sculpture Park near Wakefield always has interesting stuff on.

This sounds interesting on the 21st of July, but not really sculpture :)

ska invita likes this.
  8. ska invita

I've a friend from Barnsley who s mentioned this before I think... Is that the one with loads of Moore's big sculptures in it? Sounds like a nice day out... Especially with a bit of bassline in the background!

Fez909 likes this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

That's the one.

ska invita likes this.
  10. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Stunning site, too.

ska invita likes this.
  11. Gramsci

hash tag and ska invita like this.
  12. Gramsci

Some of Camden Poster Workshop on show at Tate Britain 20181016_172049.jpg 20181016_171322.jpg 20181016_172016.jpg 20181016_171313.jpg

13. Gramsci

A few more. 20181016_171307.jpg 20181016_170816.jpg 20181016_170837.jpg 20181016_170933.jpg

14. Gramsci

15. ska invita

Made it there this summer Fez...really loved it. Feature show was an Italian making funky bronze iirc trees. Just my kind of thing. I had a thing for Andy Goldsworthy in the 90s....

Talking of trees there are some really amazing ones in the grounds.

One memory of the day was the slightly unimpressive shell grotto, part of the original estate. Supposedly they, like other major houses, went through a phase of paying a hermit to live in that grotto... Google ornamental hermits for details. Fucked up

Gramsci and Fez909 like this.
  16. ska invita

Gramsci likes this.
  17. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Christian Marclay’s The Clock is back in London and is the best video installation I’ve seen. It’s for free but it can get busy on weekends and there can be a queue. It’s mesmerising, especially if you are a movie fan. I spent two hours there on Monday.

Christian Marclay: The Clock – Exhibition at Tate Modern | Tate

yield, ska invita and Dr. Furface like this.
  18. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Good thread, replying partly so I see the tips given by others.

I'll add
    Modern Panic Series - this annual show is usually pretty good.

yield likes this.
  19. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Yes it’s well worth a visit, but it can get busy in the week too, esp with parties of school-kids (it’s half term this week though). Still I’ve been 3 times so far and not had to wait more than 10 mins to get in. It’s a great way to kill a bit of time, without ever being able to escape from knowing exactly what the time is.

On the subject of video installations, down at Tate Britain the Turner Prize this year features entirely works by video artists - the first time all 4 entries have been video installations. In theory I think that’s a good idea, as personally I find it difficult to compare video to other, usually static, art - but it practice I was less convinced, although that’s perhaps because three of them can broadly be described as political, whilst the other is more personal and filmic. Also, one of them has 2 films which alone will take you 3 hours to view, so it’s a rather unbalanced and a bit exhausting if you want to take it all in in one visit.

I was most impressed by one of the political ones by Forensic Architecture which exposes human rights violations with actual footage of a violent raid by Israeli police on a Bedouin settlement, but the one I enjoyed most was the more personal one by Charlotte Prodger which is like a meditation on identity and being, nature and time (with a nice bit of Alice Coltrane in the soundtrack), which I found really captivating.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Reno likes this.