Considering moving to Cardiff....Tell me about Cardiff!

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by kalidarkone, Aug 24, 2019.

1. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

I'm kind of trying to not consider it because it would be so much easier if I remained in Bristol.

However I think I should explore it.
    I'd get much more property for my money there and have a better standard of living.
    It's not England.
    I'm really interested in Cardiff.
    It has the ethnic diversity I require.
    Closer to the beaches I love.
    Could easily get a job there (NHS)
    It has a good music scene.

However it's a big scary move.

I don't know anyone there .
    I've just remembered I that there is someone I know that lives there. Good, that's a starting point.

I'd be moving on my own.

Tell me about Cardiff.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    ddraig and editor like this.
  2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

It's great. I'm going to the rugby next weekend :thumbs:

kalidarkone likes this.
  3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Generally hate cities, love Cardiff.

And it's not a million miles from Bristol if that's a consideration.

Come to Wales Kali. You know it makes sense. :D

kalidarkone and S☼I like this.
  4. ginger_syn

ginger_syn Insanity laughs under pressure...

Best thing i did was move to cardiff twenty odd years ago, its wonderfully flat and easy to walk around.

kalidarkone likes this.
  5. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Well-Known Member

Well if it's drawing you in..go for it! we should definitely have a pint when you do :):thumbs:

*doesn't tell anyone about the giant 'steal all the awesome people from England magnet she's installed :hmm:

BoatieBird, scifisam, ddraig and 2 others like this.
  6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I love Cardiff. Definitely do it.

kalidarkone likes this.
  7. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Looks like there are a lot of pros for the move, kalidarkone.
    If your life will be better and easier there and you've nothing tying you to where you are now...then why not?

8. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Do it! The music scene isn't all that tbh mind, you'll probably be heading back to Bristol fair bit for that.

nogojones likes this.
  9. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Cardiff is a great city. Go for it!

10. editor

editor hiraethified

Cardiff is a bloody great city now. It regularly pops up in those daft 'best city to live/work' in articles and has great shopping, great pubs, great transport and there's plenty to do. Easy to get to the coast. Brecon Beacons too.

11. souljacker

souljacker innit

Bridge toll has gone now too!

12. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Do you really reckon it has great pubs? I love the place but generally think the pubs aren't up to much. There are some decent ones like the Albany and Goatie Major but there are a shit loads of awful soulless bars too.

13. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Doooo it, it's cool, smallish and (mostly) flat as mentioned, decent parks and not far to proper beaches etc
    It's not Bristol but is getting bigger
    Music scene is good as you say, I've got to try and get to at least 3 things today already

kalidarkone and editor like this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

I've had some good nights out in quite a few, yes. But then I like lively pubs.

Clair De Lune likes this.
  15. kalidarkone

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that my life would be easier - it would definately be harder and more stressful in the first two years. Also I have EVERYTHING tying me here - son, house, job and networks, some of which are 30 years plus. However it's not about hard or easy it's about what long term would nourish better. And despite the idea of the biggest upheaval in my life I'm not ruling it out.

I feel like my people might be there.

Clair De Lune and Lupa like this.
  16. Clair De Lune

I know many awesome kind people I could introduce you to x

ginger_syn, Lupa and kalidarkone like this.
  17. kalidarkone

That is good to know!
    I didn't realise you lived in Cardiff till this thread -I knew South Wales obvs....

Would you like to join me for this:
    Fat White Family – TramShed Cardiff

I just bought a ticket! :)

ddraig ? and Cardiff massive.......

Clair De Lune likes this.
  18. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Cardiff's a nice city. Never get any trouble. It's small enough to walk round (it's quicker to get across town on a bike than in a car). It's a bit cheeper than Bristol, but there's nowhere near the music and nightlife choices of Bristol. I struggle to find entertainment to my taste, but I look over the bridge in envy as there's normally a few things on every night in Bristol. There's not even that many pubs here any more.

But yes, you will be closer to nice beaches, you won't have to pay for prescriptions, you'll easily find work and your pay packet will go further and should things get too boring for you you're only an hour away from the vices of Bristol.

We'll welcome you.

19. kalidarkone

It's true my first world problem is What shall I do, so much to choose from.....
    But I no longer have the energy for it all. Once in a while is great.
    Even if this does happen .....it won't be for a year at least. ......there is no rush.

I think I'm going to aim to spend a bit of time in Cardiff.

There needs to be an Cardiff urbs meet.......
    I have a lot of free time in Sept....so I'll keep yous posted :)

ginger_syn and ddraig like this.
  20. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I don't think there's been a Cardiff meet up for a while.

You call it and I'll do my best to make it

21. Clair De Lune

I'm not Cardiff but yeah sure! I saw them at greenman and they were great! I'll see if I can get the night off :cool:

kalidarkone likes this.
  22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Dunno about the gig but up for meeting before

kalidarkone and Clair De Lune like this.
  23. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Hi kalidarkone I lived in Cardiff twice for a total of a few years, I liked it especially because it is a uni city so there were plenty of other young people about. There was a place called Chapter which I bet is still going which screened art house movies (and beer :)) .. I also liked that inside half an hour you could be out of the city and into the hills .. I lived in Splot / Lower Roath in fairly grotty student type bedsits - there is a massive park and boating lake in Roath park, not many minutes to walk to the Albany (pub) on Albany Road iirc - and an interesting mix of shops.

I think Saturday night action used to center around St Mary's street, lots of pubs n clubs & eateries, especially busy if there has been a Rugby game that day. And of course there has been a lot of development in the Bay area, though that might be more for tourists.

Spending some time there before committing sounds like a good plan.

kalidarkone and ginger_syn like this.
  24. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Chapter is still there and now twice the size
    The Albany is on Donald st off Albany rd
    Albany and Wellfield roads are still busy shopping/eating/drinking places

weltweit likes this.
  25. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

I live in Cardiff and agree with what's been said. It's a lovely city to live in. I also work for the NHS here albeit in a different area to you I think. Main difference is no internal market, no trusts, just local health boards.

I've also been here nearly seven years and not met any local urbs so would definitely try and make a Cardiff meet. ;):thumbs:

26. kalidarkone

OK getting on it!

Plumdaff, ddraig and nogojones like this.
  27. kalidarkone

ddraig likes this.
  28. kalidarkone

So to my suprise everyone else I've spoken to thinks moving to Cardiff is a great idea including my son who is also considering it and ....about 3 friends......
    So apologies in advance if I become responsible for the Bristol gentrification of Cardiff at some point :oops:

BristolEcho and Plumdaff like this.
  29. pinkychukkles

pinkychukkles Feed Your Head

So… what's driving you out of Bristol btw?
    I have friends in Brizzle that were trying to convince me to move there for years (back in the late 2000s) but sadly, missed the (canal) boat and it's now as unaffordable as everywhere else with all those dastardly DFLers!

30. kalidarkone

I'm not being driven out. But the new neighbours are cunts. I was planning to move and downsize within Bristol for practical reasons way before they turned up.

Moving to Cardiff is a serious consideration because in selling my house here and moving there I would be financially stable for the first time in my life plus what I said in the OP.

I swore out loud yesterday when I looked in the estate agents window and saw a house in the next street going for 500k- Whaaaat!?

The prices have definately increased I the last few months as it becomes more popular.