Concord v Dulwich Hamlet - 02.02.2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

No mention of the disallowed goal?

2. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Totally agree. His attitude since getting popped on the transfer list has been superb, as have been his performances. I'd take him off the list now.

I was quite critical of him earlier this season but I think Magnus's return has been pretty significant as well. He's so vocal and we look a lot more confident since he's been back in the side. He can get caught out of position but his leadership skills more than make up for it, IMO.

I see the world with Quade-tinted sunglasses most of the time, but I'm quite happy that he's so fired up. I think for so long, Quade's lack of confidence is what has held him back - which hasn't been helped by the fact that he hasn't had a run in the team in any set position - so I think it's great to see him settling into a position and growing in confidence. It was interesting to see as well that he was the one at the end beckoning the rest of the side to come over to the fans.

pettyboy, Pink Panther and Nivag like this.
  3. Cyclodunc

I thought Concord had some spells of nice football. They played some glorious cross-field balls in the first half. Shame about some antics.

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Christian Burt and editor like this.
  6. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

Agree. Max is one of those just hugely likeable blokes!

editor likes this.
  7. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Green doesn't look offside from this picture from Max
    [​IMG]

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's what I thought.

9. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

I've just watched the highlights on The National League website, and it's scandalous how this goal was disallowed. I have some sympathy for officials when they need to make a decision in open play, when a split second can mean a big difference in terms of players' positions, but there is no excuse from a set-play. I await the decision later in the season to "even this up".

The league website doesn't include Quade's two non-penalties, but I'm sure we will see this on DHTV soon. Initial contact on the first one was just outside the area I think and was probably just about correct to be given as a free kick. However, the body check in the box a few minutes later in front of the referee was completely blatant, and a definite penalty. Again, no excuse for the official.

10. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The DHFCTV boys really do a bloody good job.

12. cg__

cg__ Active Member

Being honest, watçhing the DHTV video it looks like he could have gone a bit early and strayed off. Either way, Im sure not sure either of us can make a fair judgement on it from the angle we are given, really is impossible to be sure.

I agree on the Quade pen decision though, the defender misses the ball completely and impedes his run. Poor mistake from the ref and is frustrating to have such bad luck in so many recent games. We haven't got the results some of our performances have deserved as a result of ref errors.

Im still annoyed by that Dartford 2-1 where neither of their goals should have stood

Moroccan Sunset, EDC and Pink Panther like this.
  13. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

The disallowed goal looks more offside in the video than in the screen grab, but as CG says the footage isn't conclusive from that angle.

The first penalty shout was also a very tight line call, but how the second one wasn't given I don't know. You can tell it's a deliberate foul by the way their player instantly holds up his hands in that "never touched him ref" gesture, then starts ranting about alleged simulation. You see that every week on Match of the Day, and defenders only do it when they know it's a foul. It was also the same player who was booked for the first foul on Taylor. Then again, as Gavin acknowledged in interview, the Touré challenge on Midson wasn't great, leading with his arm even though he won the ball, and that could easily have left us a man short before half-time.

editor likes this.
  14. Cyclodunc

1D801134-6CD9-4133-A7B5-BEDBBDEE8414.png I think Green was offside

15. Cyclodunc

No wonder Midson looked miffed at half time when people were calling him a cheat.

16. Pink Panther

Unfortunately the ridiculous antics of some of his team mates created a "cry wolf" situation when he took a genuine blow.

The fact that all the debatable incidents that went against us came in the final 15 minutes or so fuels the narrative that we deserved the two extra points, but despite the distraction of their tiresome levels of gamesmanship Concord were clearly the stronger side in the first half with Edwards making some vital saves to keep us in the game. A draw was probably what we deserved on balance of play, and penalties aren't always converted.

pompeydunc likes this.
  17. pompeydunc

Maybe he should have a word with several of his teammates and management (which he is part of) about how his team acted in the prior 130 minutes of football between our two sides? A disgrace would be a polite of way describing it...and cry wolf is exactly right Pink Panther ... Zero sympathy. Clearly took a bash in hindsight, but it was on the blind side from us.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Pink Panther and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  18. Cyclodunc

His head smashing into the turf was quite clear to see at the time.

19. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Their tactics are about as anti-football as you can get.

20. pompeydunc

No. The impact was on back of his head from Toure's forearm/elbow tucked across his chest. You couldn't see this from behind goal. We "saw" Midson throw himself forward and then their number 11 insinuate it was a headbutt, which it clearly wasn't. This combined with all the other gamesmanship, e.g. their number 6 screaming near us for no reason, was enough for many. I appreciate that you are zen Dunc...more power to you.

21. Pink Panther

It might have been clear through a telephoto lens but it wasn't clear to me from over 50 yards away, although at the time I thought Toure had jumped higher and caught the back of his head in winning the ball.

That's what happens when you put a couple of mediocre ex-pros in charge of a small non-league club and give them a decent budget. They'd probably tell you it's professionalism and you don't understand the game because you've never been a professional. In fact it's people like Moore who don't understand that there wouldn't be professional football if people like us didn't pay to watch it, then they wouldn't have a job, and their cynical win-at-all costs ethos can only drive people away from paying to watch. I certainly wouldn't pick one of their games to watch as a neutral, and I'd think twice about travelling to watch the Hamlet there while he's still in charge.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  22. Cyclodunc

My view wasn’t much different and I saw his head hit the floor and the arm hit the back of his head. My lens isn’t telephoto. It’s a zoom. From that distance it’s not much different to the naked eye. He didn’t throw himself forward, you said yourself toure’s arm hit him in the back of his head. If anything the second impact is worse.

I’m not saying they weren’t acting like shits

Pink Panther likes this.
  23. Cyclodunc

Anyway. I have a general rule of thumb - if it is a head injury I don’t question it. Innocuous stuff can turn out very bad.

24. Pink Panther

Personally I'm happy to acknowledge Toure won the ball with a reckless challenge and could easily have been shown a second yellow card, as our own manager acknowledged in the post-match interview.

25. Pink Panther

There was that incident at Whitehawk in the Trophy a couple of years ago when their keeper appeared to make a meal of a challenge, then clearly had a lump the size of an egg on the side of his head. The worst injuries often result from the most innocuous situations.

26. Cyclodunc

It was that one that made me think that

Pink Panther likes this.
  27. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

God, I remember that. The poor sod tweeted a photo of it the next day.