Concord v Dulwich Hamlet - 02.02.2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Who’s in for this then? A tough game on the face of it but hopefully we can get something out of it.

It’s one of those grounds that has always eluded me up until now, so will actually be a new one for me. A Chelmsford fan said to me on Saturday “Prepare to be underwhelmed by the ground but their fans are a nicer bunch than Canvey’s!”

Pink Panther and Jules P like this.
  2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

#FrozenPitch #Probably

Blitzwalker likes this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

The ground's ok....obviously not the best in National League south, but not everyone can have a wonderful ground like bath City, for example. Not the greatest of pictures, and it's possible it may have been added to since these old ones were taken: Grounds for concern...: Concord Rangers

pettyboy and Blitzwalker like this.
  4. Blitzwalker

Would not be surprised.

B.I.G likes this.
  5. peter foster

peter foster New Member

You won't have to face Lee Minshall and Alex Wall. Both suspended....

Although you guys have two suspended as well....

Pink Panther likes this.
  6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

That match in 2010/11 was my only visit and our club's first visit. Hamlet won 1-0 with a goal from David Moore. We visited again three seasons later for an FA Trophy replay and lost 3-4. This will be our first league visit. The ground was basic but tidy with scope for expansion and I concur with the view that it's a nicer and friendlier club than Canvey, where I always got the feeling that a significant proportion of the couple of hundred home supporters resented having to share their space with us.
    The absences of Minshull and Chambers probably cancel each other out. We're not short of alternatives with Taylor, Essuman and Touré. Wall was a handful in the game at our place and is one of the division's leading scorers so that must be a significant blow for Concord, whereas Baghuelou must now be our 6th choice centre back following his brainstorm at East Thurrock. Hopefully one for the future but no great loss for the duration of his current suspension

the 12th man likes this.
  7. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Can someone please sort out a pitch inspection at 9 am please!

8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Eta this is not an invite for Mishi to point out that Concord sort out the pitch inspection. Get a ref in sharpish Concord!

9. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

So is the game on?

10. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

They didn't think there would be a problem last night.

B.I.G likes this.
  11. StephenMac

Liam's just asked them for an update on Twitter.

B.I.G likes this.
  12. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Concord can’t be trusted. But see you there!

peter foster and Cyclodunc like this.
  13. StephenMac

Just now.

B.I.G likes this.
  14. Blitzwalker

I can’t help feeling that this will be a repeat of the Billericay fiasco of a few years ago when Glenn was pouring kettles of boiling water on the pitch in a vain effort to make it playable and then blaming the postponement on the match ref. Hopefully not - see you there!

B.I.G likes this.
  15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Standard Essex wide boys.

Pink Panther and Blitzwalker like this.
  16. Pink Panther

Pitches near the coast tend to be less susceptible to frost and snow so fingers crossed.

B.I.G likes this.
  17. Pink Panther

Nice and sunny with no sign of snow or frost.

B.I.G likes this.
  18. Pink Panther

Toure for Chambers is the only change to last week's XI. Pryce takes the spare place on the bench.

B.I.G likes this.
  19. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Not sure what happened with Concord’s twitter account at the end.
    C84AFC93-D50A-4352-8728-75B7DFAE6D4F.png
    I was listening to Dulwich Hamlet radio and assumed there was some delay but a Dulwich winner never came!

20. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Active Member

Greens header that was ruled out for off-side?

21. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Presume so.

22. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

0-0 No luck again today. Referee gave all of the free kicks in the first half to Concord and booked 4 Dulwich players! We hit the crossbar, the post and had a goal disallowed in the last 20 minutes. But Concord hit the crossbar twice too. Bloody freezing! The pitch was better than Belair park. Only just.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Nivag likes this.
  23. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see DHFC TV if Green was offside or not, looked like he wasn't to me but I was behind the goal.
    You know the ref is bad when even the opposite side agree they've got him in his pocket.
    Anyhoo, hope everyone has managed to get warm again. Thank fook for heated gloves :p
    Enjoy a photo that makes Canvey look ok... SpeedTripleCanvey.jpg
    Only ok as it's looking south :D

chris gil, WillClunas, editor and 3 others like this.
  24. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Good result on paper and a valuable point. Concord have to be one of the worst footballing sides I've ever seen, so it's gutting not to beat them in a way. Their constant squealing and diving is absolutely embarrassing and they shamelessly try to get people booked and/or sent off. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason behind why Pryce and Toure were both taken off: both had received yellow cards and were clearly being targeted by the Concord players. The last thing we wanted was another suspension.

Performance was decent again. A very ropey pitch and freezing conditions made it a difficult game, but we coped reasonably well. Quade and Mavila were excellent and, for me, the best players on the pitch. I don't recall Nathan losing a tackle and Quade gave the backline invaluable protection.

Concord had the better of the first half, but we dominated the second: we were desperately unlucky not to nick a winner after Cook hit the bar with a free kick, Clunis hit the post and Nathan Green had a header ruled out for offside.

We weren't helped by the fact that Thompson limped off early after clashing heads in the first minute. Pryce looked isolated when he came on, but showed decent touches. I'd like to see him up front with Sheriff or Dipo.

There is clear progress and it was great to see the togetherness and positivity in the ranks when they came over at the end. Belief is building - and that is vital if we are to survive.

Nivag, pompeydunc, Lyham and 3 others like this.
  25. StephenMac

Mavila is absolute class. Slowly but surely we're learning that you have to behave like utter arseholes in this division. Nathan G's hilarious dive late in the first half is evidence of that.

These fast-tracked officials in this division are diabolical. Stupid that the, um, more mature officials in the Isthmian Premier piss all over the lot we have now. It's getting a little out of hand.

Pink Panther and YTC like this.
  26. Pink Panther

I didn't notice Toure get booked, but Pryce was booked for an innocuous foul in the centre circle just before half-time. Then when he committed a similar foul around 15 minutes from the end their player went down as if he'd been shot and two or three of their other players were in the referee's face clearly urging him to show another yellow card. I find that nauseating and I don't understand why referees tolerate it; surely that ought to be a mandatory yellow card offence?

All teams including our own have individuals who sometimes take liberties on the gamesmanship/cheating front, but not on the scale that Concord do. That's got to come from the management, it's endemic and more or less the whole squad seems to have bought into it. Sammy Moore their manager has probably been a football professional since leaving school and regards this routine cheating as "professionalism", but it's not. It's cheating opponents and paying spectators alike and it makes the referee's job as difficult as possible. People like that aren't true professionals taking pride in their work, they're just stealing a living from our game.

The foul on Taylor for the free kick from which Cook hit the bar looked well inside the box to me, and I'll be very interested to see the replay of the disallowed goal. Judging offside at a free kick can be harder than in open play as players tend to move suddenly in each direction just before the ball is played, but it just didn't feel offside.

The good news is that morale seems to be building and the fact that we made only one enforced change to last week's XI suggests that the management have settled on something they feel is going to take us forward. Cook was excellent again and is beginning to look a very influential member of the team. Surely he has to be removed from the transfer list?

The pitch was like a bowling green compared to East Thurrock.

Poids likes this.
  27. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I don't understand why their player wasn't booked at the end trying to push our player(1 man wall) back with a clothesline arm.

The only player on our side that needs to calm down a bit is Taylor, a couple of times I thought he run to the referee a little too quickly and vocal. Not just in this game. Maybe he's been told to as part of what's needed in this league.

28. Pink Panther

I'd forgotten about that. It was the single most obvious bookable offence of the entire match. The ball was dead, the referee was ready for the kick to be taken so as far as he was concerned our players were ten yards from the ball. (The Concord wall was about 8 yards back forthe Cook free kick that hit the post, as they were closer to the penalty spot than the 6 yard line and the ball was less than a foot outside the box.)

Nivag likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?