Commonwealth Games

Discussion in 'general sports' started by QueenOfGoths, Apr 4, 2018.

1. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Anyone interested?

I'm not really sure I am but I'm knackered, it's raining, the small one and I are stuck indoors and I need distraction.

Lots of sand so far. And some Kylie.

Badgers likes this.
  2. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Prickly Pollster

Two years till the Olympics, so I'll have to make do.

Currently hastily copying shit off my sky box so there'll be room for all the sport. Gymnastics and triathlon are on first, so I may be able to give up early.

Badgers likes this.
  3. QueenOfGoths

They opening ceremony has been a bit MagicFm.

I need to look at the schedule to see what I fancy watching though sometimes with the Olympics and stuff I just put it on in the background and allow myself to be drawn in.

Badgers likes this.
  4. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Winter is going......

I'm going in a few days! I'm working nights in a homeless shelter that's being opened during the games... So I won't be seeing any sports but I intend to soak up the atmosphere and mingle :)

5. QueenOfGoths

I'm rather enjoying this.

Excellent competition in the gymnastics for the English and the Scots.

Australia dominating the cycling, though gold medals for England and Scotland in the visually impaired races.

And some great results for home nations in the swimming.

ice-is-forming and Badgers like this.
  6. QueenOfGoths

The gymnastics has been excellent.

Very close individual men's final this morning. Nile Wilson's bar routine was amazing!

7. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Prickly Pollster

You wouldn't have thought there were twelve different ways of pronouncing Georgiou, but good old Craig and Christine went all out.

8. QueenOfGoths

I don't like the woman who is conducting the trackside interviews, she is not very tactful and not very insightful. I preferred the chap they used to have!

9. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Interesting track and field session just finished. Dina Asher Smith holding off the Olympic champ for a bronze in the womens' 200m. Our man won the 200m race by a coat of paint but was promptly disqualified for impeding the athlete next door - not deliberate but the correct decision as it unfairly affected the outcome. Kyle Langford came second but would have taken the gold if his race was 805m and not 800m.

The BBC pundit centre tickles me - it's in Salford but they've put down some swimming pool and decking lino and shoved in some palm trees to give it a Gold Coast vibe.

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  10. QueenOfGoths

I've enjoyed the championships more than I thought. Apart from the Netball which brings me out in a cold sweat remembering school games lessons!

Today's athletics has been good, bit worried by KJT in the Heptathlon though, I know she is leading but her head never seems to be in the right place.

Casual Observer likes this.
  11. ice-is-forming

Having been woken by choppers flying overhead from 5am I'm now just about to stroll down to the boardwater park and cheer home the marathon runners :) it's the final day today, I'm gonna have to miss the closing ceremony because work later, but the atmosphere in the streets has been wikid!

Had a great night Friday hanging out with the Zambian boxing team at surfers paradise :)

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  12. QueenOfGoths

I've enjoyed it a lot more that I thought. Some great competitions, can't believe England won the netball, and I did end up watching sports I wouldn't normally (bowls, hockey, diving)

ice-is-forming and S☼I like this.
  13. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Didn't like the Callum hawkins thing. I get that any help would have him DQed but it shouldn't have been his decision.

Poor sod.

14. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I must have been wasted last night, I managed to watch the whole of the marathon.

That Scottish guy who was leading got seriously delirious near the end. Very uncomfortable viewing. Good fun though :thumbs:

15. ice-is-forming

He fell over so close to the end! Literally 5 minutes from the finish line.