commentators are twats - a compendium of the stupidest comments this world cup

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010 South Africa' started by strung out, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Mick McC was annoying me at the start of the week, but is starting to become a treasure trove of laffs.

Today: Spain game, not sure which spanish forward got into a tight position towards the left post - two defenders and a keeper to beat, no way through, tried a skillfull lob not far off going in at the back post and that another striker might have reached - Mick's advice 'he aught to have just smashed it - it might have gone in off one of the defenders!'.

2. nicksonic

nicksonic que acido para la rumba

he also said (it might've been the same incident) "hit it with a bit of violence!"

:D

3. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

To be fair to MickMc he isn't anywhere near as negative as Mark Lawrenson. He does sound it though, it's the yorkshire accent. If you read what he said he'd come across as medium-positive I think.

4. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

he's like a poet.

5. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

One of the commentators for Greece and Nigeria has just come up with this gem

".....aimlessly aiming the ball nowhere"

How can you aimlessly aim anything anywhere or nowhere? If it's aimless there's no aim and if it's aimed, there's an aim somewhere, rather than nowhere.

Je l'aime. :D

6. nicksonic

if he got it nowhere then it wasn't bad since he aimed it there :D

7. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

If velocity is speed with direction, I'd say he's done a blinding job there. Quality Pleatism. He's a treasure.

Waddle is a whining twat. Can't stand his commentary work.

He reminds me a bit of Boycott with the slow Yorkshire whine, but he's harmless enough.

I listened to Robbie Savage the other day, Portugal v Ivory Coast, and he was on fine form. He flogged a dead horse sometimes, but all told he was cracking. Just when you think you know someone...

8. rosa

rosa anger is an energy

Robbie fucking Savage. I thought he was OK on the Football League show, but 90 minutes of him bitching about players' fucking haircuts is more than any human can withstand. I don't care if you've just been for a piss next to Marcel Desailly, there's a football match being played in front of you and i'd quite like to hear about that,please.

9. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Psychogeographer

That reminds me of the Gordon Strachan interview (I hope it's true):

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
    Gordon Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off].

10. nicksonic

yes that is true, you can can always rely on wee gordon for some comedy :)

11. nicksonic

steve wilson commentating on slovenia v usa - "it all adds to the sense of impending climax!"

:eek::eek::eek:

12. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

mark bright - 'the onus has definitely swung in ghana's direction now'

wtf??? :confused:

13. nicksonic

and now - "the onus is with them."

learn what the words mean FFS!

14. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

what next? return of the onus? the onus menace? attack of the onus?

15. nicksonic

surely time for an 'up the onus' thread :D

16. ramjamclub

ramjamclub Banned Banned

presenter:you where born in Johannesburg weren't you, reply from Ozzie guest: yes I was , at an early age!:D

17. rosa

rosa anger is an energy

Mark Lawrenson's on form:"They should all be banned for doing that [a Mexican wave]. Muppets." :D

18. ch750536

ch750536 Every little counts

2 i noticed

'<insert players name> is literally on fire' -S.Korea game. I called the fire brigade and let them know.

'if South Africa don't turn this around they may find themselves on a plane home'

both from RTE

19. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

It was either Drury or Tyldesley, but the ITV commentator for Brazil-Ivory Coast said "Remember you can catch up on World Cup news as it happens on our website". Truly, ITV can see into the future evidently.

20. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

"and we're still waiting for that fabulous messi explosion"

[​IMG]

21. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

It is currently 2010, for those of us who might not be sure.
    Alan Shearer has just said that he disagrees with Pele's old pronouncement that an African team would win the WC by the year 2000
    "I think it will take a little bit longer" Sez Shearer.

No shit, Shearer. :facepalm:

22. London Eye

London Eye Well-Known Member

Not strictly a stupid commentator's football comment, but Mark Lawrenson today at Germany v Argentina, on seeing camera pan to Charlize Theron, oscar-winning actress and South African who presented the draw for the world cup.

"Who's she? Must be a WAG"

23. Upchuck

Upchuck Banned Banned

Yeah I heard that one. I lolled. Cluseless comment

24. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Nah. What is clueless is TV cameras focusing in on 'celebrities' in the crowd. Who gives a fuck?

25. Silva

Silva This went well.

For a guy around here, Lahm apparently isn't a contender for the best right back. He's too short :(

26. Jorum

Jorum Well-Known Member

have you notice how lawrenson has a pathological need to have the last word in any exchange, even if it's pointless or actual nonsensical?

27. Culdee

Culdee With a rumpty-tumpty-tump

Nothing, no nothing can top the astonishing decision to let Alan Shearer loose on the townships

Alan Shearer to elderly black South African: "So, living during segregation - what was that like then?" "What was going through your mind when the police opened fire on you?"

Not only the worst bit of football punditry I ever saw, probably the worst but of TV too.

See also Jon Champion on "the inscrutable Japanese coach whose fiendish masterplan is frustrating the Dutch." He was probably pulling his eyelids out to the side, too, but it was difficult to tell just from the sound.

28. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Not sure if he's actually said these words, but you get the idea;

Adrian Chiles: "And here to offer his expert opinion is Andy Townsend."

29. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

Oh, he's a right unfunny fucker. :mad:

30. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

It was excruciating, wasn't it? Straight out of the Admiral Ackbar school of stating the fucking obvious.