Coming Up Next: Peckham's Gentrification

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Crispy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

2. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

3. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

The worst place is called 'General Products' or 'Provisions' or something on Bellenden Road. It seems to be a go at a 1950s style general store, full of hipsters buying overpriced vegetables etc.

Edit: even has a domain hacking website http://www.generalsto.re/

cherabel2004 likes this.
  4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I find that restaurant which theyve called The Begging Bowl insulting and bad taste - oh darling we must go and spend lots of money on over priced food at the Begging Bowl :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

I took a look in there a while back. Would swear I saw individual salad leaves laid out on a sheet of kitchen roll, so you could choose how many you wanted.

6. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Why would you want to buy any more, or less than you need?

We should be grateful that these groundbreaking trailblazers chose Peckham (well, Bellenden Rd, which is more Dulwich).

fogbat and ska invita like this.
  7. ska invita

I checked the website: it sells Thai street food...at £15 a main...served in a begging bowl

tufty79 likes this.
  8. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

Owned by the companay that owns the Victoria across the road ( nee the Wishing Well). I have never been, but heard its not worth the money . Smart setup though - no booking allowed, so they send you across the road to the pub to have a few drinks and wait=£££££

I have been in the victoria once- and that was for the bogs with the kids one sunday afternoon recently - As I stood waiting for the kids to come out, women started to pull their bags in a close and taking their phones off the table, the hacking jacketed and pinks shirted husbands giving me paddington bear hard stares.Yes I was scruffy and unshaven, but for fucks sake....nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

fogbat likes this.
  9. not-bono-ever

£8 for a dried mackeral IIRC.

10. Kailhus

Kailhus New Member

Haha, glad you enjoyed it. We have a show every two weeks and Raiden, H-SIK & Moresounds this Thursday (who released an EP on OM Unit's label Cosmic Bridge).
    Watch out for this space : www.facebook.com/TheTrailerTV (website coming soon)

ska invita and Orang Utan like this.
  11. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Used to live near Bell End Rd in the 90s
    It was ace and unpretentious
    Wish they'd all fuck off back to Wandsworth from whence this Diaspora Of The McLaren Buggy Clan began

SarfLondoner likes this.
  12. boohoo

boohoo No.

13. ska invita

unfortunately in a city if you want things to change over time this kind of thing happens - if it didnt we'd still be living in wooden huts by the thames.

14. boohoo

boohoo No.

Does this rule apply to Brixton too?

Onket likes this.
  15. ska invita

every new building has to be considered on a case by case example - theres a lot of variables. if they wanted to build the shard on it, id say no. but to return the station to its original design and reinstate the little square instead of the warren that is the station seems like a great idea to me.

when you say brixton are you talking about the champagne bar? they are just renting out a unit - if they wanted to knock down the market and build a champagne bar id be against it. I dont live in brixton by the way.

Are you against the renovation of the station and reinstating of the square?

Why Blenheim Motors is affected Ive no idea - its behind the station. I would've thought the only shops affected are those where the square would be

16. Onket

Maybe access or something. Are they in an arch?

17. boohoo

boohoo No.

Watch the video -they plan to make it a destination with cafes and boutiques - all sounds a bit Brixton Village to me. They want to make it like Bellenden Road. I'm sure there will be a space for champagne + fromage.

fogbat likes this.
  18. ska invita

they are in an arch one down from Bar Story, away from the station

didnt watch the vid, will do boohoo

19. ska invita

well yeah, if its a project thats designed to purely make peckham more upmarket, then thats shit - creating a square and relocating current traders to the new spots created is fine. I really cant see why the arches running up Blenheim road should be affected - unless its a deliberate attempt to get tradition arch-users out, and boutiques in. What is such a wind up is how come for everyone i speak too money is tighter and times harder, and yet everywhere is getting more yuppified - i understand the reasons for it, but its bizarre how this is happening now of all times.

20. billiebrand

billiebrand New Member

Hi,

I'm writing an article on the changing culture of Peckham and would love to hear your opinion if you're from the area. Please message me if you're happy to answer a few questions. Thanks!

21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

hey!
    who and where is the article for? what angle are you using? are you getting paid?
    why don't you paste the questions here?

ska invita likes this.
  22. Onket

Valid questions from ddraig, there.

ska invita likes this.
  23. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Walked by this vile pile of shite today
    Took all my will power not to go in an beat the owner to a blood pulp
    Even the shops on Lordship Lane would baulk at their level of psuedo Cotswold Village tosh

But, Flock and Herd takes the "bisquit de Merd"

Best use of an IED I can think of

24. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Fuck off back to Wandsworth you loathsome parasitic toad

SarfLondoner likes this.
  25. Onket

You sound like you need to see someone.

26. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Nah. Flock and Herd are awesome.

General Store is dreadful, though.

I was sorry to see the barbers close, mind :(

27. ska invita

postcode wars :(

fogbat and Onket like this.
  28. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

See also Chicken Shop in Tooting.

29. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

It's not upmarket fried chicken, is it?

The area around Peckham Rye could do with being made better. It's just a pity that any kind of redevelopment seems to require the rah set.

30. not-bono-ever

still a proper barbers off rye lane for the traditionionalists, though I was in the other week and they are starting to get the hipster pound.