1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Up Next: Peckham's Gentrification

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Crispy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. laura atwell

laura atwell New Member

There is still certain areas of Peckham that is still not gentrified or is about to go under gentrification so there is still people that have lived here all their life or for many years

2. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

I was cat sitting for two weeks. Came home to see that :rolleyes:

Their veg selection has improved in the past couple of months, but really it's still where I roll in around 1.45 in the morning to buy booze.

laura atwell likes this.
  3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

pissflaps - well done for getting into the B3ta newsletter this week :)

pissflapsb3ta.png

Greebo, boohoo, not-bono-ever and 2 others like this.
  4. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Unban her/him. :mad:

not-bono-ever and Crispy like this.
  5. I have never been in the Prince Albert. I think.

Orang Utan likes this.
  6. ibilly99

ibilly99 Banned Banned

7. no..

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

no one has had a go though :confused:

9. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Yawn. :facepalm: etc

10. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

So, has anyone seen Blue Tit hair salon? I went past it today, goodness, it's like one of these places that has been transported straight from the Spitalfields/Brick Lane area. Not sure how to describe it, shabby chic meets Dazed & Confused editorial or something.

11. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Thought I should mention I was interviewed by Laura last week. Was a good chat and I hope my interview was of use.

Definitely looking forward to reading the dissertation.

12. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Bit confused, I think. It's the only pub nearby that's missing the braying types, apart from when I pop in.

monsterbunny likes this.
  13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

The Gowlett is a good boozer innit? I had my 40th there.

not-bono-ever, Belushi and ska invita like this.
  14. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Changed a lot in the past 15 years, though :(

ddraig and Orang Utan like this.
  15. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

16. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

best for miles

not-bono-ever likes this.
  17. good pizza and beers.lucky 7s can be great if there plenty of northern soul

18. ska invita

is that still every thursday the 7s thing?

19. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Some little bastard tagged my front door. So I improved it.

[​IMG]

spitfire, ffsear, stethoscope and 4 others like this.
  20. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

I feel this thread needs some positivity after all the gentrification chat. Anyone fancy a Peckham meetup?

21. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Sounds good. Gentrification pub crawl?

22. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I went to check out the all-new gentrified Peckham on Saturday night.

First impressions on getting off at Peckham Rye is that it isn't very gentrified at all - it reminded me of Walworth Road and Brixton Market. But the gentrification is only a few minutes walk away. We walked down Bellenden Road which feels like it's in Dulwich - posh boutiques, a dog pampering parlour, a "Butchery" rather than a butcher - and popped our head into the Victoria Inn, which was wall-to-wall well-to-do types, so we didn't stay there. Ended up at the Montgomery, which was great - a good mix of people, although still quite new-Peckham I'm sure. Had a meal at the Italian place on Blenheim Grove, which was fantastic - tiny place, great atmosphere, lovely folks running it, great food - totally recommended. Then finished up at the Peckham Liberal Club for a 60s shindig, which was lots of fun. Great mix of club regulars and 60s fanatics, and the club itself is gorgeous.

So a good night all in all. That bit of Peckham is still rough and ready and there's some decent, unpretentious places, but you could see posher places too - bars in arches that seemed very posh. It's kind of like Atlantic Road and Lordship Lane all in one, very bizarre.

23. ska invita

went to the liberal club a couple of months back - amazing place - the members are rightly very defensive of it, but it would be nice to see it open up for use more to nonmembers. Sounds like maybe thats starting to happen. Huge space it is too - did you see the snooker room at the back too? five full size tables in there.... great dancefloor...was it a good night?

that italian has been there for years too...i wonder when it opened

24. clandestino

Yes, saw the snooker room...and got a glimpse of the bingo room off the side bar, which was packed with the regulars having a game of bingo. That was at about 10.30pm. Really lovely place, hope to go back there for something else soon.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*shudder

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. clandestino

28. ska invita

can be read here:
    http://issuu.com/peckhampeculiar/docs/the_peckham_peculiar_issue_1

I'm sure the club would have no problems and able to clear its 40k debt if they opened its doors up a bit more - the night i went too was packed out too. Working Mens clubs these days are often insular affairs, shut off from the rest of the world, who die off with their members. Yes they don't want the regulars to be hipstered-out of their sanctuary, but im sure a compromise can be found.

29. TBF, its been there for a decade at least

ska invita likes this.
  30. clandestino

A nice compromise seemed to have been found on Saturday night. Hopefully there'll be more nights like that.

ska invita likes this.