1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour photographs of East London from the 1960s

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 12, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wookey, Rebelda, tim and 11 others like this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

With so little traffic it could be Chipping Sodbury :)

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  4. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I wonder what's so interesting at that street corner.

Bahnhof Strasse and spitfire like this.
  5. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Where is that top one? I feel like I saw those tower blocks (or very similar looking ones) being demolished a few years back

6. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

There are more of the photographs with captions here. The tower blocks were the Stifford Estate in Jamaica Street. Built in 1958 and demolished in 2000.

A book of the photographs is apparently due out later this month.

7. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Ah thank you, I think they are the ones I watched being demolished then :D I have a bit of a thing for demolitions, don't get out to many these days but it's quite exciting in a let's-watch-stuff-get-blown-up-legally way iykwim :oops:

Puddy_Tat likes this.
  8. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Love the one with the lady in pink looking out her door and the neighbours wallpapered walls post demolition.

Brilliant.

editor likes this.
  9. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

commercial-road-1974.jpg 1280px-Troxy-exterior-historical-king-kong.jpg
    The London Opera Centre, was once the Troxy Cinema, at one point the largest cinema in England with over 3000 capacity. The first film it showed was King Kong, now of course its called the Troxy again but is a music venue.

10. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

My Nan was an Usherette there in her teens.

Lucy Fur likes this.
  11. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

It sounds amazing according to wiki :
    Going to see a film at Troxy was an incredible experience.[4] Inside the building the cinema had luxurious seating, a revolving stage, mirror-lined restaurants and customers were served by staff wearing evening dress. To add to the sense of luxury, Troxy staff even sprayed perfume during film showings. The cinema showed all the latest big releases and had a very special feature: a floodlit organ which rose from the orchestra pit during the interval, playing popular tunes.

12. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

She never shared any of those details, but then again I only found out just before she died after telling her I'd been to see The Pixies there.

She was probably pick pocketing the customers to be honest. She was a right toerag.

Schmetterling and Lucy Fur like this.
  13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

"
    Whitechapel Road, 1965

Here, says Dorley-Brown, a ‘group gathers looking for work in the clothing trade on the corner of Greatorex Street, the heart of the Jewish East End, possibly on a Sunday morning as the shops were closed on Saturday sabbath’"

MOre pictures with better captions here

Celyn likes this.
  14. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

ska invita likes this.