1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collateral - BBC/Netflix joint production.

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by paolo, Feb 15, 2018.

1. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

You wait all year for a drama with John Simm then two turn up at once.

This looks much more my thing than ITVs Trauma.

There’s a plenty of interesting characters with a cast and acting to match. The pacy plot that the show notes says “goes right to the top” sounds like a cliche, but there’s loads going on here and I’m genuinely intrigued to see where it will end up.
    editor likes this.
  2. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Carey Mulligan's "DI" character is an awesome smart fuck you personality.

Yeah so fuck the what ever. She'd be right out of urban. Intelligent and dismissive. You're twats. She'll nail you.

Will she have a flaw? It's not obvious. There's so many characters in this, it doesn't need Mulligan to collapse.
    kittyP and editor like this.
  3. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Had iPlayer on a random recommended for you shuffle thing.

This came on.

It was good.

Was gutted to discover it didn’t have 4 more episodes ready and waiting for me to watch but is brand new. Now I have to watch it a week at a time like someone living in the 80’s.
    editor likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Billy Piper is a bloody amazing actress.
    kittyP and paolo like this.
  5. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Yep. Was surprised on the way back Dr Who reprisal. Arguably that wasn’t too demanding, but this character... This is a top drawer cast.
  6. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Television. FFS.
    Maggot likes this.
  7. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Bit underwhelming so far. What with mcmafia and now this the beeb should probably be looking at its commissioning policy.
  8. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I watched the last two episodes of this last night. It was like a good episode of Spooks. David Hare has quite a good reputation but I have to say this didn't knock me sideways.
  9. Gromit

I was slightly confused why the character trying help immigrants was the one who had Fuck UKIP shouted at her.
    Ranu likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

After the bitter disappointment of Requiem, this wasn't too bad at all.
    paolo likes this.
  11. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

This was ..... OK. Bit on the nose and heavy handed - the John Simm character may as well have turned to the camera every time he launched into a speech - and there were too many characters and stories for them all to have worked successfully over only four episodes. Still the main plot was good and the material was lifted by an all round superb cast.
    Maggot and editor like this.
  12. Gromit

I found the John Simms character unbelievable because he kept dropping everything to deal with personal shit when a real MP fobs that shit off to one of his many support staff and acts like none of it is going on so that they can plead plausible deniability.
  13. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I thought this was fantastic!
    Good engaging drama but genuinely dealing with state of the nation issues in a way that was believable and highliting systemic problems
    Saffy, paolo and not-bono-ever like this.
  14. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Avoiding spoilers... the killer was superb

I think there was a lot more to mine there. Wouldn’t go so far as saying shortchanged, but the two eventual climactic leading characters... easily more episodes just getting to that final situation.
  15. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

There were several sub plots, really on the nail, that didn’t get fully explored.

Again avoiding spoilers, but Piper was amazing, and Carey Mulligan... wow.