Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

CH1

"Red Guard"(NLYL)
Moorland Road completely taped off between Domino Club and Tilia Walk. 3 police cars in attendance. Loads of bystanders hanging around looking when I went out to Iceland at 4 pm, but they've gone now. Either nothing to see, or they have been asked to move on I guess.

organicpanda

cat herder extraodinaire
anybody else lost their water in the area?
eta. discovered a plumber had turned our water off while looking at someone else's place

Last edited:

CH1

"Red Guard"(NLYL)
Temperance News
The former "London Hotel" which is not a hotel - near to Brewdog now styles itself "Billiard Lodge". This sounds a bit of Jerry Knight-ism, however as far as I know Billiard Lodge does not - so far - belong to Lexadon.

This comes to mind, as I was visiting Premier Inn in Wandsworth Road this afternoon. I think I might have been to an adjacent site on a planning site visit back around 1995, at which time this building was pretty derelict.

I got someone to shoot a snap, because this seems an example of a corporate approach to restoration of a Temperance Billiard Hall where money was no object (within reason). The tiling outside (which can't be seen in the picture really) is very fine. Not sure if original or new - but it looks good.

The bit where they have gone off at a tangent is the "hospitality pod" piggybacked onto the building. From some angles it in unobtrusive, from others its like a carbuncle. The same pod-type roof extension as Premier Inn used on top of the Woolworths building in Coldharbour Lane.

I think this Wandsworth Road site is in Lambeth. Odd that Lambeth Planning officers never referenced this apparently successful conversion when considering what happened to London Hotel/Billiard Lodge - after irregularities which caused the Council to take the London Hotel owners to a Planning Inspectors hearing.

This topic had a small free-stand thread, and some Buzz posts. Here is the Wandsworth Road Billiard Hall, complete with Premier Inn weather vane. Also a historical shot of what is now Billiard Lodge from Brixton Buzz - probably late 1960s/early 1970s judging by the solo car on the left.
Premier Inn wandsworth rd.jpg Coninental.JPG

CH1

"Red Guard"(NLYL)
The disappearing disco
I picked this poster up on 28th September, wondering how long it would last. I hadn't heard anything about scheduled October' rave, and if you check the particulars on Eventbrite it looks like the November rave has been pulled.
Pity really, I liked Pedro's giant tropical fish when Medussa was all the rage (except with the Domino club of course - who appeared keen to stitch Pedro up to the police). BTW the fuzz made Pedro have an arch (which looked a bit hand-carpented in Loughborough Junction).
Saw no sign of an arch for the Christian rave - or indeed for the Domino Club.
disappearing disco-s.jpg

editor

hiraethified
So the cop shop has quietly closed down and the London Hotel is now the (guffaw) 'Billiard Lodge, rooms and studios.'

2019-11-20_222333.jpg

Very trendy, apparently.

London Hotel consist of 38 studios and bedsit rooms. It is a period property situated at 413 Cold Harbour Lane which is located within the vicinity of Brixton Road (A23) in Lambeth Borough.

A very trendy location, its trendy delis, food markets and impressive Victorian conversions, Brixton has seen significant regeneration by the Council over recent years. Hence, the demand is high for the bustling centre of vibes sandwiched between Clapham and Dulwich. The significant investment here has led to better tube station, upgrade to housing and offices. The surrounding neighborhoods consist of mixed shops, hotels and Lambeth hospital situated 2 miles away.

The local area is very well serviced by public transportation via buses, underground and overground trains all within walking distance. Access to Central London within 20 minutes from train or tube.

The studios contain kitchen and shower facilities and fully furnished with double beds with complimentary furniture of wardrobe,side cabinet, table and chairs. Also fitted is a secure entry system, CCTV and management office with on site staff.
London Hotel - Private Accommodation in the London Area

Mr Bim of Bar

Brixton Square (Carney Place/Chez Mr Bim of Bar) has a concierge. I have to get in there from time to time to deliver a Brixton Society newsletter to a member).

I generally find the concierge staff very polite, typically smartly dressed South London Caribbean men. Not sure why they don't have women, and also why they occasionally are apt to disappear for a sandwich when you want to get into the complex, but as they say "I've never had any trouble".

BTW Brixton Square does have some units which were either social or affordable - on the side overlooking the Walton Lodge Laundry. Naturally on my fleeting quarterly visits I have not been able to survey those residents on their salary levels - but it would appear from casual observation that there is a healthy ethnic representation.
There is Indeed a healthy ethnic representation here (but only in the social housing), the remaining apartments are probably 90% owned or occupied by white middle class people in their 30s. We did have a woman concierge here for a while but she wasn’t strong enough to take out the 30 full up bins and then put then back in the bin store. We actually had rubbish piling up and had to bring in a male concierge for a day to do the bins.

editor

hiraethified
There is Indeed a healthy ethnic representation here (but only in the social housing)
It's not social housing. There is no social housing there. Those sleazy cunts Barratts successfully whined to Lambeth to have the paltry 13 flats in that monster development that were promised as social housing to be changed to 'affordable' homes.

Not sure how you can claim a 'healthy ethnic representation when you're referring to a tiny percentage of the demographic in that development either.

Mr Bim of Bar

It's not social housing. There is no social housing there. Those sleazy cunts Barratts successfully whined to Lambeth to have the paltry 13 flats in that monster development that were promised as social housing to be changed to 'affordable' homes.

Not sure how you can claim a 'healthy ethnic representation when you're referring to a tiny percentage of the demographic in that development either.

I beg to differ THERE ARE SOCIAL HOUSING APARTMENTS. I am friends with two of the families that are in social housing .

editor

hiraethified

Gramsci

The Council policy for social / affordable housing on large developments like Brixton Square is for 40% affordable. This is for developments with no grant funding.

Going back in time it was the first time I came across the "financial viability" argument.

Barretts pleaded poverty and got the affordable element changed.

This kind of thing continues. Same has happened with the Hero of Switzerland site in LJ.

This makes a mockery of local democracy. I can object , turn up to have my say at planning committee and the system is set up to give the property developers what they want.

I have taken part in consultations on Brixton SPD , Brixton Masterplan and all I see is developer scum enriching themselves. What is the point of constructive engagement with the system of so callled local democracy?

gaijingirl

The Council policy for social / affordable housing on large developments like Brixton Square is for 40% affordable. This is for developments with no grant funding.

Going back in time it was the first time I came across the "financial viability" argument.

Barretts pleaded poverty and got the affordable element changed.

This kind of thing continues. Same has happened with the Hero of Switzerland site in LJ.

This makes a mockery of local democracy. I can object , turn up to have my say at planning committee and the system is set up to give the property developers what they want.

I have taken part in consultations on Brixton SPD , Brixton Masterplan and all I see is developer scum enriching themselves. What is the point of constructive engagement with the system of so callled local democracy?
I remember (long time ago now) when they built the (then new) flats at the bottom of Tulse Hill, the development was originally for something like 25 flats. There was a policy that any development with more than (again something like) 14 flats had to have a 1/3 affordable. So rather than honour this, it became 2 separate developments to sidestep the "problem". The numbers I quote are probably wrong but that was the general idea.

editor

hiraethified
With the soon-to-open Ovalhouse theatre also boasting a late bar, I'd suggest that Coldharbour Lane is reaching Magaluf-levels of licensed premises along the stretch from Somerleyton Road to Brixton Road.

Here's the ones I can think of (starting from Somerleyton and heading east):

1. The Laundry
  2. Ovalhouse (coming soon)
  3. Brixton Village (multiple licensed outlets)
  4. Dogstar
  5. Chip Shop
  6. Liquor Supply offie
  7. Friends of Mine (where Instant Melodies was)
  8. 384 Cocktail Bar (cocktails)
  9. Franzina restaurant
  10. Market Row (multiple licensed outlets)
  11. Brewdog
  12. Three Little Birds (cocktails)
  13. 414 (when that posh twats takes it over)
  14. Prince Albert
  15. Rum Kitchen (cocktails)
  16. Nanban (cocktails)
  17. Market House
  18. Satay Bar (cocktails)
  19. Prince of Wales
  20. Ritzy