Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 22, 2014.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I posted the full article here BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Seems pretty scathing for a FT article. And as you say, the comments are interesting:

CH1 likes this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Kind of interesting. Leaving aside BrewDog. The Bitcoin type money is now being presented as being "Punk".

This is the "anarchical" Capitalism. That is undermining what exactly is my question.

Its almost back to the Ayn Rand view of the so called Free market. Like companies like Brew Dog are subverting the Capitalist order through use of internet currencies.

This is rubbish.

editor likes this.
  3. Gramsci

editor likes this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

BrewDog are scum and in a normal world they'd be forbidden and shunned for trying to associate punk with their shit capitalist, profit-raking, self interested venture .

But then I see the Brixton Brewery as being part of the same kind of deceit, claiming 'independent' credentials when they're virtually half owned by the second biggest brewery on the planet. It's like me letting Murdoch buy up 49% of urban75 and then claiming we're independent and some kind of counter-cultural entity.

It's all pocket-lining bullshit.

5. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I suspect there are very few small businesses who wouldn’t take millions of pounds for a minority stake from a mega corporation.

But yes it is quite hypocritical.

Alex

6. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Just to clarify, it's Disney Editor sold 49% of the boards to, not Murdoch.

7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You are quite right there. If you watched Max Keiser on Russia Today three times a week it's virtually constant brainwashing about Bitcoin.
    Bitcoin is liberated money free from government control - it is the Brexit of money apparently. Keiser and his Bitcoin fanciers constantly rail against central banks and so-called fiat money. As well as constantly saying the dollar will collapse.

Actually one wonders what Marx would have made of Bitcoin. Clearly it is currently pure speculation, but if it truly caught on it would be international money outside the control of the Federal Reserve or the Bank of England.

There is a Green objection. There are reports that Bitcoin processing already consumes as much power as Switzerland. What a waste on energy for a few fat cat speculators. Bitcoin consumes more energy than Switzerland, according to new estimate

8. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

In no way whatsoever was it suggested that Brewdog are doing people a favour by selling non-alcoholic beer.

TopCat likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

I don't understand that, sorry. What's a Disney Editor?

10. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I think he means "It's Disney to whom Editor sold 49% of the boards..."

11. editor

editor hiraethified

I love the way that they used the phrase 'minority stake' to describe a fat 49% slice.

12. editor

editor hiraethified

I haven't been sleeping much so perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but what has Disney got to do with my original comment about Murdoch?

13. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

no idea

editor likes this.
  14. Gramsci

I was being sarcastic.

cuppa tee likes this.
  15. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Not so much, but it wasn't a nasty or personal comment so don't worry.

16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

It is technically a minority, but I bet they are also the largest single shareholder.

Alex

17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

A footnote on majority/minority shareholdings
    Although technically a 49% stake in a small company leaves the previous owner still in control, in the case of a publicly listed company this type of stake would precipitate a full bid under takeover rules - thus enabling other shareholders to cash in/get out on an equitable basis.

Even so such a bid might not be accepted by shareholders, and the largest shareholder might remain like that for decades - or not if an "activist" shareholder wanted to change it.

An example which springs to my mind is Plantation and General Investments of 45 Ludgate Hill EC4. This company does various agricultural business in Malawi and Kenya probably the most notable being growing the tea used in Yorkshire Tea and Sainsbury's Red Label tea.

PGI is about 90% owned by Nick Roditi - a former fund manager for George Soros.
    For whatever reason he bought a substantial stake around 1997 when PGI was a stock market listed company and built his stake to the point where he was able to force other shareholders to sell out (one way he used was to de-list the company from the stock market).

Don't ask me why he did all this - but it does show however that a wily operator even without having a controlling stake at the outset can ultimately run a company how they want it run.
    Home | PGI Group Ltd

Gramsci and editor like this.
  18. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Urban goes full FT comments section !

CH1 likes this.
  19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I happened upon this old Land Registry map from 2010.

The Domino Club building at that time is LBL, the clone building next door, and behind is separately registered - possibly leased from LBL, but actually Metropolitan new-build on an old bomb site.

The interesting thing is all the registry numbers are given from Moorland Road to Shakespeare Road on CHL southside.

Attached Files:

editor likes this.
  20. editor

editor hiraethified

There's been a motorbike crash outside the Barrier Block. The rider was walked tenderly into an ambulance so hopefully he wasn't hurt too bad.