Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 22, 2014.

1. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Tried out Banh Banh and it gets :thumbs: from me. Basic fit-out is hipster-minimal (yes they have those stupid lightbulbs) and incredibly noisy inside - it won't work for old deaf relatives. Staff are friendly not snotty. Food excellent- fresh, tasty, zingy flavours - and they don't tone down the chili too far. Diverse clientele, not packed out exclusively with the white and affluent. Not bargain-cheap but not as expensive as many of the competition nearby (it's way less pretentious/moneyed than Kricket, way better food for the money than Rosa's Thai Cafe for instance.) Most big dishes hovering at £9-11ish so you can't fill up for under a tenner, but you could certainly stuff yourself stupid for £15. Excellent green-papaya salad, fiery pho and excellent (huuuuuge) bowl of bun (cold noodle salad with veg, spring rolls, bbq-pork patties etc) which could easily feed two people. Happy with it overall.

BusLanes, teuchter, CH1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Road resurfacing tonight. 20180730_222232.jpg 20180730_222247.jpg 20180730_222254.jpg

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I heard that thing earlier!

Gramsci likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So that curious 'Jam Groceri Store' that never seemed to have much stuff in stock has been seized and shuttered. The sign was fairly recently repainted too.

2018-09-04_002851.jpg

ChrisSouth likes this.
  5. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

To be fair, I don't think that it ever intended to sell much jam, or many groceri (sic)'s

BusLanes and Gramsci like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Did anyone go to Ginseng Noodles?

7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

BusLanes and editor like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This can't possibly be still open, can it?

1.jpg

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Tempted to investigate. They were part of an Lambeth Interfaith walk three or four years ago, but I didn't go inside.

The directory lists it as Deobandi/Bangldeshi run. One of the staff at Costcutter (opposite) was a keen member but haven't seen him around lately.
    For what its worth Lady Warsi is at the liberal end of that tradition, but many consider Deobandis extremists.

editor likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Any news about the Amaryllis reopneing as some kid of pub (formerly Jack Beards at the Plough and the Plough) at 66 Coldharbour Lane? It's all boarded up with a 'demolition taking place' in the window :(

1.jpg

I couldn't find anything on their website Savills UK | Estate Agents & Lettings UK & London | Commercial Property

11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

There is nothing I can see on the Lambeth Planning website either.
    If it was a conversion to flats it ought to have Planap - similarly if demolition is involved.

12. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

the council have put a recycling bin outside our wall (looks like a container for gritting in winter) with a notice saying things need to be in see-through bags, is this a new system for recycling and they couldn't get it through the gate or a public thing - either way it's doomed to failure

13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Just over the border (in Southwark) but seems the Valmar Trading Estate is going the same way as Higgs. High quality architecture ahoy!
    Valma industrial estate.jpg
    Valmar location.JPG

Gramsci likes this.