Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

That's not true. Putting a new recycling bin next to every household bin on Tunstall Road (no front gardens) doubled the number of bins on an already crowded pavement. And for whatever reason, they do not stay close to the wall they are set against but stay all over the pavement.

Plus, whereas there is room for one small bin between each front door and the adjacent bedroom windows, with the additional bins there is actually no room for them against the wall, so if they are not dancing around the street they sit against people's windows.

That's simply not true. Recycling is currently expected to reduce the amount of landfill. Not eliminate it. Consequently we all still have a regular waste collection and everyone still requires a regular bin for that purpose.

organicpanda likes this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I have taken the liberty of using editor's pic to report the crashed car to our councillors via Twitter.

teuchter likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I doubt they will be moving on this all that quickly. But they ought to know.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

See above.

CH1 likes this.
  6. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I'm all for graffitists moving on to tagging privately owned cars instead of publicly owned trains - I hope this is the start of a new trend.

7. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I'm not sure that an obstruction which forces pedestrians into the path of oncoming traffic is a particularly fitting memorial to the unfortunate three lads.

alcopop likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The car has been shifted forward now so people can pass the car on the inside. It's still weird that it's been left here for so long.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

I know that the recycling bins are an obstruction but the foxes used to tear the bags open and we had food cartons and nappies all over the pavements regularly. And nobody would clear their mess up.

Having said that now the foxes get into the food bins. But it’s nowhere near as filthy as it was with the bags.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The crashed car has finally been moved.

Gramsci and organicpanda like this.
  12. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  13. hungry_squirrel

hungry_squirrel Well-Known Member

Nasty crash on coldharbour, car got sideswiped and flipped, saw the little fucker who caused it jumping out of the car and running whilst 2 people were stuck in the other car. Almost hit me on my bike, too...

14. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Caused by speeding again?

15. hungry_squirrel

Yup, flying around the corner on a red. Skinny little young black guy legging it from the car as soon as he could get himself out of the airbags etc...

16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

All traffic stopped road closed and you can hear people’s footsteps .

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I heard the guy in the car was being chased by people on motorbikes. My neighbour says they caught the guy in the car and that loads of people ran to help when the crash happened.

18. hungry_squirrel

I didn't see any motorbikes, but there were loads of people helping. A little disconcerting given the petrol spilling out, tbh...

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Brixton Blog published these, attributed to Cllr Jane Prichard.
    Coldharbour-crash2_1K_IMG_1280-610x458.jpg Coldharbour-crash1_1K_IMG_1279-610x458.jpg

20. Gramsci

Road closed due to accident. Not sure what happened. Lot of the junction was taped off. My photos. 20180626_192926.jpg 20180626_192911.jpg

21. Gramsci

I cant work out how this could have happened.

22. hungry_squirrel

Silver car was flying down the road from up past the soup kitchen, went through red lights and smacked into the side of the other car. I was waiting at the lights on my bike and it happened right in front of me.

Gramsci likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I asked one of the Electricity Board people working on it today. He said it's going to be a nail bar. If that's true it might be congruent with the building owner's apparent business interests.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I thought the Great Nail Bar Invasion was a thing of the past. Oh well. At least it's not another hipster bar or small plates restaurant.

CH1 likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The new Bahn Bahn place where William Hills used to be almost on the corner of Gresham Road (326 Coldharbour Lane) is doing a soft launch with 50% discount - started today and also I think Saturday and Sunday. No idea if it's any good - though being brand new the decor is clean and smart.

If editor leans out of the bath he can probably furnish a photo.

editor likes this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I walked past. It was VERY nu-Brixton. I didn't take a picture as I found it too depressing.

29. ricbake

ricbake working out how

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I guess the pressure must slowly be rising on some of the other businesses on this now rapidly-gentrifying stretch.