1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nita P

Nita P New Member

Hello Editor,
    My landlord just passed this onto me -- I own CAYA and just wanted to let you know we have extended our opening hours. We have been open seven days a week since early October and now we are open Mon-Fri 0730 - 1730; Sat-Sun 08300 - 1730. We hope in the future as the business grows to be open 0700-1900.

Sorry you were disappointed at the start. I know the opening hours weren't ideal to start with but my business partner and I had spend every last bean (financially and physically) getting the doors open and these hours were a temporary measure while we got ourselves up to full capacity.

We hope you pop in soon for a coffee and a chat. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. And if you can spread the word, we'd be very grateful for the support.

Many thanks,
    Nita and Kate, CAYA

hungry_squirrel, Gramsci and editor like this.
  2. Nita P

Nita P New Member

Hi Organic Panda,

We are thrilled you had a lovely time at the shop on your visit. Please do come again soon and if you use the workspace again, we will be starting a loyalty scheme for our desk users so you benefit from repeated visits.

See you again soon,
    Nita and Kate, CAYA

Gramsci and organicpanda like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's great news. Are you around today? I'll pop over and say hello if so!

Gramsci likes this.
  4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Culled from a very odd article about Tinder dating in London bars in yesterday's Evening Standard:
    Shrub flaming cocktail.jpg
    The best pubs and bars in London for a Tinder date

I was not sure whether to find this alarming or amusing. My idea of date terror for heterosexuals is somewhat affected by "Gone with the Wind":

So it was shocking to read of men going to the loo and simply disappearing. Is that what happens these days?

Fortunately there is only one way out of the Shrub and Shutter, so the unlucky Tinder-introduced couple would have to have a frank exchange of views like Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Cocktails. Is there anything they can't do? :cool:

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Nobody seems to have noticed that the famous Brixton Christmas lights now take in the Shrub and Shutter, Jimmy's and Coldharbour Carwash.

Certainly a first ever for this part of Coldharbour Lane in my memory.

OvalhouseDB and editor like this.
  7. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

And Brixton Hill, and parts of Acre Lane beside Tesco's.

OvalhouseDB and CH1 like this.
  8. laughalot

laughalot Well-Known Member

...once upon a time long long long ago.... we had a lamp post outside of us to which one year at Christmas Lambeth attached a large illuminated 'Parrot' ... the parrot went after the new year... shortly followed by the lamp post....both never to be seen again...

editor likes this.
  9. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Bloody getrification

10. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

Gentrified to the point that no-one can drive down it and Acre Lane has become a car park.

ash likes this.
  11. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I got this put through my door today:

"Dear Neighbours,

Please join us around the mulberry tree in Loughborough Park on Sunday 18th from 2pm.

A few of us who live in Loughborough Park will be meeting there for some Christmas festivities.

We will be decorating the tree, wishing each other Merry Christmas and having a drink. Maybe even singing a song.

We are hoping it will be an opportunity to get to know each a little.

So bring along any waterproof decorations you can donate, mulled wine, musical instruments, or just your selves. And please do invite your neighbours."

Note does give name and address I will not put up here. So its bona fide.

Sounds a really nice idea. So I will try to go.

I am on CHL near LJ but don’t know the mulberry tree.

ChrisSouth, editor and brixtonblade like this.
  12. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of the link between gentrification and the ability not to drive anywhere. I had thought that the delays yesterday were due to resurfacing work taking place in Gresham Road. Wasn't aware that resurfacing = hipster gentirifcation

13. Harbourite

Harbourite Eggnog

yup. artisanal gravel with small batch bitumen. it's all the rage out East London way.

ChrisSouth, Winot and organicpanda like this.
  14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Never mention gentrification and driving in the same sentence in this forum. That way madness lies...

Ol Nick and ChrisSouth like this.
  15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Has anyone noticed the spectacular vista of nude arches seen from Valentia Place - pending the 3 tower blocks to be built by Taylor Wimpy?

This scene is quite sort of railway historical - teuchter?

I never noticed at first because the Gresham Road gates as locked and barred - still with the Olive Morris graffiti in situ.
    site from vp.jpg skips.jpg Chapel from VP.jpg Arches.jpg Varch.jpg
    arch-side.jpg
    OMGresham Gates.jpg

shygirl, Casaubon, Angellic and 2 others like this.
  16. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

You can see what i think are marks left from where the masts, which used to carry the overhead electrical wires that used to be along here, were fixed into the side of the viaduct.

17. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Nice photos CH1

The arches do look magnificent.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So here's two new shops on Coldharbour Lane:

2017-02-03_171036.jpg

A Vape Shop for that funny little building next to the Prince of Wales.

2017-02-03_171024.jpg

And another estate agents :(

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I hope you appreciate the design consultancy work that has gone into that interior Marsh & Parsons - AMI Consulting

"The use of classic clocks serve to add a vintage twist to the contemporary style offices, and we created a spacious meet and greet area, aimed at making clients feel immediately welcome."

Gramsci likes this.
  20. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

they've replaced the original wall with a fence painted in UKIP colours :hmm:

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Surely that is ripe for artistic improvement?

BTW I was wondering on what the new development would be called. The obvious name to blend in historically would surely be Gresham Place - although there is a Gresham Place in Archway and another in Cambridge.

Are Lambeth Council's street naming department working on this? I feel quite averse to having a "Quarter" in the area. To me that name signifies marketing fairs in Singapore.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Viaduct Quarter
    Unaffordable Zone
    Train Rumblin' Square

Gramsci and sparkybird like this.
  24. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

final nail in the coffin quarter

25. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

This raises the question as to what constitutes a 'luxury flat', as opposed to just a 'flat'?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Given that Coldharbour Ward is one of the most deprived in London, I'd say that the prices of these flats are going to appear pretty bloody luxurious to many in the community.

Gramsci likes this.
  27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

28. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

You're not trying to instil the incomers with faith and confidence, are you? :D

I reckon Lambeth and the developers would prefer something like
    "Highlife Quarter",
    "Comfortably-expensive Zone" and
    "Good Vibrations Square". :cool:

Gramsci, editor and ash like this.
  29. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

That'll be wherever Lambeth's "cabinet member for housing" is burned at the stake.

organicpanda likes this.
  30. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Luxury has lost its currency now as a descriptor. In the same way that the word exclusive has.

Exclusive literally means nothing in most of the contexts in which it is used.

Lazy, unimaginative copywriting.