1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 22, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's strange because one of the main things about being a freelancer is that you often work late, or have to have meetings in the early eve. Once again, Kaff is greatly missed in this regard.

2. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

But others have to start early!
    I wonder if they are trying it out without having to commit to paying for 2 shifts?
    If it's successful they might extend?
    Early morning coffee traffic must be a winner in terms of profits as people just pay and go...

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Of course they do, and that's why most cafes who try to attract that kind of trade open at 7am or whatever and stay open way past 4.30pm (which is really early for a 'modern' cafe these days).

4. choochi

choochi Well-Known Member

From their website...

Opening Hours:

Mon-Fri 7:30-16:00*, Sat 9:00-16:00, Sun CLOSED

*Workspace open later. Last check-in 4pm.

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. Ergo Proxy

Ergo Proxy Well-Known Member

8. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I like these unusual infill site houses. Living room looks a bit small for the size of the house. Otherwise pretty cool.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You might - but the Coldharbour proposal is hardly infill. More promontory.

editor likes this.
  11. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

That incline at the top is what makes it ugly I think. A mistaken attempt to echo the shape of the victorian ones next door. Should've just been a box shape.

editor likes this.
  12. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Absolutely right. This is a classic case where it would be better to use a modern style contrasting with the Victorian terrace to highlight the attractions of both types of building.

But as always with aesthetics it's all a matter of opinion - albeit the sort of thing people might fall out over.

editor likes this.
  13. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

This is incorrect. Some people have taste and some people don't, that's just the way it is I'm afraid, no matter of opinion about it. :p

14. Rushy

From a glance, isn't the straight box what they proposed first, and have done this to please the planners? I quite like it as a solution. But don't think it is necessary to tie in to that extent on that site.

15. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

That would explain it. If so then it just kind of looks like the slightly awkward compromise it is.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If they build it - and I hope they don't - it'll almost certainly end up looking even uglier as time wears on. Case in point: this building further along Coldharbour Lane. After just 8 years, the wood looks awful and it's only going to get worse.

5.jpg

Knotty problem: when cladding goes bad

The problem with cedar cladding – The Helpful Engineer

CH1 likes this.
  17. alfajobrob

alfajobrob Well-Known Member

It would also look better without the little cunts tagging it...who is Chris? :)

I quite like the cladding look tbh - I assume it's cheap to replace if it rots?

SpamMisery likes this.
  18. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Yes, the wood cladding doesn't really work here. Unless you quite like the distressed / slightly slimy effect.

editor likes this.
  19. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Is that house designed with no opening windows just plate glass double glazed views of the domino club across the street?

editor likes this.
  20. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you? Banned

Yeah im pretty sure the graffiti is more offensive

21. alfajobrob

There also appears to be an issue with the roof and guttering!

It's not the prettiest of buildings tbf, but I like cladding in general - apparently it's a juxtaposition with the urban landscape and then matures to settle in with blah, blah, grand designs blah, blah...

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I love the look of the wood on buildings when it's new, but most of the time it's left to slowly discolour from thereon in, gradually turning uglier and uglier until it finally rots away.

alfajobrob likes this.
  23. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you? Banned

Same is true of the paintwork in the second photo. Bit grimey. Unloved. Easier to fix than buggered woodwork though

24. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

When did the yard behind the iron gates become a parking lot for Harley Davidson motorcycles ?

25. alfajobrob

True - if left to rot then it's not a good look - but then again Kevin McSmug always says it grows into it's natural environment and he proved to be a Master builder Grand Designs presenter Kevin McCloud's eco-development 'riddled with building errors'

I forgive Kev though as through all the crap he bought us this gem.

26. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

As with many things... the question of how well timber cladding weathers is not a straightforward one. If it's badly specified and detailed then it can look pretty ropey fairly quickly. The problem is not usually that it rots but that it weathers unevenly, or you get algae and the like growing on certain parts. If you have a facade which is mostly in the sun but with parts that are overshadowed by balconies or roof overhangs etc then they will weather at a different rate and you'll often see cedar cladding where most of it has turned grey but the bits in shade are still red-ish. Or, if it's been installed too close to the ground or other horizontal surfaces where the rain splashes up, these parts might have algae growing on them. The black streaking you sometimes see is, I understand, the tannins leaching out and in theory this disappears over time and eventually everything is a fairly uniform silver colour. I sometimes also see cladding, especially where it's in quite thins strips, which has twistd and bent, which I assume is because it wasn't seasoned properly, or maybe only one side has recieved a treatment of some kind.

What really doesn't seem to work is attempts to preserve cedar in its original red colour - then it needs to be sealed and treated to prevent it weathering to silver. But that requires maintenance - ie being retreated every so often - and that never happens. So once the sealant starts to degrade it starts weathering really unevenly and looks dreadful.

Interestingly here, it seems the previous design had the facades in brick, but they have been revised to cedar cladding to respond to the planners' comments that the brick facades looked overbearing. I'm not sure it's an entirely sensible response to such a comment. I wonder if it's a planner suggestion.

It's correct that the angled top is in response to planner comments on a previous application.

I note also from their design & access statement that the planning officer seems to have got the orientation of the building the wrong way round throughout their previous report :facepalm:

alfajobrob, Rushy and bimble like this.
  27. Rushy

Timber taken from the inner party of the trunk is usually much more stable, and more expensive. Outer timber less so on both counts.

28. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

It's a mechanics, motorbike repairs and resale. It's not an easy plot of land I suppose, railway right behind. I get why they went for the closed box approach.
    c.png

29. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

My problem is the location. Its right next to the motorbike/ car repair workshops. I do not think this is good idea.

30. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with me