1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 22, 2014.

1. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

lovely to hear old style Brixton blasting out from the meeting place in front of the block, right brought a tear to my eye it did

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Coming to the former South London Hi Fi shop opposite the Barrier Block "for your "freelance lifestyle":

3. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Times may be hard but sharing a coffee sounds a little excessive.

Mr Retro, bimble and Badgers like this.
  4. han

han brixton hill hobbit

I'm just wondering - sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but - does anyone know why the tree in the Albert garden was chopped down, and what's happening at the Albert at the moment?

5. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

A refurb. Not sure why the tree was cut down but guess something to do with said refurb.

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

It was in the way apparently

7. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Do people really still say 'brainstorm' ?

8. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I remembered this brilliant website last night Classic Cafes | Gazetteer #2 and had a look to see if it's live. It's not, but interesting to see the description of the Phoenix and Coldharbour Lane:

Phoenix, Coldharbour Lane SW9.
    Great, packed little local with plain laminate walls, proper tables and chairs and a small corridor-like back section. An institution holding its own in one of London's most wretched drug thoroughfares.

9. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea and I'll be giving it a go. There's no affordable workplaces between Brixton and Camberwell.

thatguyhex and bimble like this.
  10. bimble

The people behind this look ok I think, just judging by their twitters; a proper independent venture offering a quiet place to work with good coffee sounds like a plan and I wish them well. They're advertising jobs too instead of just bringing in their mates.

thatguyhex and editor like this.
  11. Rushy

It just seems inappropriate for people to be unashamedly sipping flat whites (sometimes even a whole one to themselves) whilst stealthily trousering cash by piddling about on expensive laptops all day overlooked by people who can't afford such an exclusive "lifestyle".

12. bimble

Is it ok if you do it ashamedly?

Angellic likes this.
  13. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Once it's open someone can go in and photograph the customers and post it up so we can make a fair and final judgement on them.

djdando likes this.
  14. Rushy

I think it would be safer to just call out everyone else in the room and hope that in the ensuing uproar no one noticed you were there.

bimble likes this.
  15. bimble

I'm glad it's not going to be more cocktails or a hair salon named after a bird, anyway.

editor likes this.
  16. ChrisSouth

I don't understand this post.

hungry_squirrel likes this.
  17. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

I think it's a less than successful attempt at 'satire'.

ChrisSouth likes this.
  18. ChrisSouth

OK, thanks. I really wasn't sure.....

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's not true. There's the Blue Turtle Oasis, for starters.

CH1 likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That rapidly gentrifying strip has seen a pricey, trendy cocktail bar open up, and an expensive hairdressers called Blue Peacock, swiftly followed by an East London hipster hairdressers called Blue Tit three doors down. Hence the comment.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There used to be two cafes along this strip, so it will be good to be able to get a coffee again.

CH1 and bimble like this.
  22. ChrisSouth

Having tried it, It's not particularly conducive to work as it's not designed as a work space, it's designed as a cafe. I support it regularly as a local coffee shop (despite the tardy service), but as a workspace less so. I have no reason, at present, not to support the new venture, despite it being a few doors from an East London hipster hairdressers called Blue Tit. I'm not going to decry something before it's opened purely by geographical association.

23. teuchter

Have you tried the Junction?

24. Rushy

You're clearly not alone in that.

teuchter likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Eh? There's almost always people busy working with laptops when I go in there. It's a good place to work too as it's pretty quiet and there's very fast wi-fi.
    I have seen any negative comments yes so I'm not sure what you're on about here. I'll certainly be checking it out.

26. ChrisSouth

That's good. Perhaps I'll see you in there

27. organicpanda

I know that Coldharbour Lane is in the Loughborough Park conservation area and my understanding is that any trees are protected, does anyone know what I can do to stop someone chopping one down without permission to increase the size of his proposed building

editor likes this.
  28. teuchter

Trees on private property - guide | Lambeth Council

29. organicpanda

30. Rushy

Remind them that they need to give six weeks notice. And that the fines for carrying out work before doing so are potentially huge - like £25K iirc.

If you are certain they are about to chop it down you could try calling/emailing Ian Lennard, or Leonard, the borough tree guy. Nice bloke.