Cold callers who have "heard that you've been involved in a car accident"

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I did succumb to the temptation to relate the story from Richard Bachmann/Stephen King's "Thinner" to one bunch of ambulance-chasers. :oops:

2. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

I heard of one customer who'd greet them with: I'm so glad you rang, I'd like to tell you about Jesus.

8ball, Nylock, Streathamite and 5 others like this.
  3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

If you've ever had a credit card or a bank loan, then it's worth considering. I convinced my parents to, as they've had a CC for 30 years, and they've got around £24,000 back, to date!

Greebo likes this.
  4. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

If I'm listening to music when they call I usually say "bear with me" and put the phone next to the speaker so they can enjoy some dinosaur rock with me until they get fed up and hang up, or maybe stay on air-drumming to The Lemon Song until their supervisor becomes suspicious

Greebo and ItWillNeverWork like this.
  5. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

Get a lot of them, mainly from Indian call centres or automated messages. No matter how many times I tell them not to contact me they still do, sometimes twice in one day. Oh and yes I am registered with TPS.

6. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I obviously get bored as I've done most of the things people have done on here rather than stick to one.

The playing along and making up ridiculous accidents.
    The challenging them to prove how they found out.
    Just putting the phone to one side whilst they say Hello? Hello? Over and over.
    What have you done with your life? I'm a life coach and can help you get a better job.

My favourite is to respond back to them as creepily as possible "I've heard someone has be breaking in and filming you sleeping. Is this true? Mmmmm. It puts the lotion on its skin. It puts the lotion on its skin. "

Cloo and Mia like this.
  7. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever had one - not to my mobile (5 yrs+ contract), or old landline (few yrs with Sky) :confused: Don't know why I should particularly be so blessed though :hmm:

8. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member

I had one the other week, 5 mins after I'd walked in the house after knocking my bin over in my car, apparently I can't sue my bin for stepping out in front of me ! :hmm:

9. Gromit

Have you tried exclaiming:

"Wicked fam! I never got the plate, he drove off too quick like innit."
    "So you tracked him down like, he confessed yeah? Got it on the CDTV n all that yeah?"
    "They was my best trainers he ruined, splashing me with that puddle n all that, booyakashah I'm going to get paid"
    "Fiddy notes they were, they wasn't cheap mind, got em on sale, they be like £200 normals".

10. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  11. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

I'm getting quite a few of these (on the rare days when I'm at home during business hours I've had one or two a day between October and now) - it's not the usual chancers ringing numbers at random, these buggers have my name, date of incident and some details of the car involved.

Only snag is it wasn't an accident, the (previous) puddymobile got stolen and that's what led to an insurance claim.

The buggers that ring say they got my details via my insurers.

I have rung the insurers, they have denied everything and said they are obliged to pass details on to a database run by the motor insurers bureau. I have contacted them and they say that they do have a database but they don't pass info on to these buggers.

Some bastard has and I have the urge to get the data protection people on them.

Is there anything I can do worthwhile?

:mad:

12. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

The regulator for DP is the Information Commissioner (which I appreciate you probably already know).
    Home
    Might be worth contacting them.

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

yes, that's what the MIB suggested. Although since all I've got is a phone number or two from the buggers, not sure they will be able to do much.

I was hoping for a suggestion or two involving a flamethrower :p

cupid_stunt, kebabking and oryx like this.
  14. Hire an expensive car and take out the bells and whistles insurance. Crash the cunt.

sealion likes this.
  15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

'I'm so glad you called, so few people have any sympathy for you when you get hurt trying to break into an orphanage.'

cupid_stunt, pengaleng and hipipol like this.
  16. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Ace - I told one I was waiting for the operation to have my leg amputated after the crash, was she always this heartless? - that cut off the calls from the Mancunian accented scum, but the Mersey voiced parasites obv did not have the message passed on, their concern for my vehicular safety continues unabaited.
    I have yet to hear from the Welsh phone abuse centre, why are they ignoring me??????

cupid_stunt and pengaleng like this.
  17. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

:D classic

18. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I used to get quite a few. If I am at home and not busy I keep them on the phone with a weird or horrible detailed story about the crash.

pianistenvy and sealion like this.
  19. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I get ones about health insurance. "We are calling in regard to your health insurance claim..."

I just hang up, but I can see why you might be rude. This is not an innocent cold call by some a teenager at their first shitty job. This is purely an attempt at medical insurance fraud.

editor likes this.
  20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I got a new variety today ...
    A call asking if I wanted to renew the extended warranty for our CH boiler ... so I asked them to id the boiler make and model, he pretended he couldn't find the info and then obv guessed, but wrongly. That was about 5 minutes he wasn't scamming someone else.

pianistenvy, cupid_stunt and editor like this.
  21. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

I had one of these fuckers tell me that I shouldn't waste other people's time the other day.

A380, cupid_stunt, sealion and 2 others like this.
  22. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I can do fuck-all to stop them calling, because my mobile's in the public domain for my business. The thing that annoys me most, though, is that nearly all of them insist that I'm called Lee (I'm not).

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  23. He phoned you to tell you not to waste his time?

pianistenvy and NoXion like this.
  24. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

As a general rule, if you answer a phone call and instead of an instant connection to the caller there is a noticeable two-second pause while you're being connected, it will invariably be either a cold call from a recognised company you have an account with (say, Virgin Media, your bank, etc), or a dodgy-as-fuck scammer firm peddling the involved in an accident story.

My advice would be to hang up before the connection is made. Legit companies will leave a message or try again if important, scammers will not try again- at least the scammer trying their luck on that particular occasion.

KeeperofDragons and A380 like this.
  25. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

I’ve tried getting them to elaborate on which particular accident, but they could be calling about any of them.

26. Gromit

Do you mean the dildo incident? That’s really embarrassing. Who the hell told you about that? They should really publish warnings about not running naked whilst holding one in case you slip and fall on it. It was really jammed up there... hello hello you there?

What? Car accident? How big do you think my arse is?! I couldn’t fit a car up there. Are you implying something? I don’t like your line of enquiry. You a pervert or something?

27. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Depending on the phrasing of the question I have prepared two responses though I probably wont be able to muster the rage to do so:
    Yes, yes I did have an accident. I done a wee.
    or
    Accident? Accident? I dont remember that (pause) oh shit did I loose my memory? are you the doctor? oh no, no - what year is this?

A380 likes this.
  28. keybored

keybored

Nice try, Lee.

muscovyduck and A380 like this.
  29. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure you can register with the TPS and business TPS.

Unless your business is receiving cold calls.

Alex

30. existentialist

existentialist # #A52A2A

Doesn't stop the offshore cunts :(

A380 likes this.