1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold callers who have "heard that you've been involved in a car accident"

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Apr 11, 2016.

1. OneStrike

OneStrike Well-Known Member

Yea, asking who they are and where they got my details usually does the trick. I get a lot of these calls, I have an ongoing dispute from Feb 2014 whereby I was in a crash and the other guy admitted full guilt; it's still unsettled and these chancers call offering legal help. After the crash I was getting calls before i'd even contacted my insurers, the other guy obviously gave my details to his lot and the ambulance chasers were leaked my numbers, no doubt for a price.

2. Dowie

Dowie Well-Known Member

The new one these days seems to be callers claiming it isn't a cold call/they're not selling anything but are giving advice (on how to get a subsidised boiler/solar pannels/claim for an accident/PPI etc..).

A lot of the rest where they are trying a straight up sales call are based overseas and not fussed about TPS.

pogofish and Greebo like this.
  3. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

I've had a few of these. Was annoyed at the 1st one, then played along with the next few, telling them that "yes, I had had an accident, how did you know?" and then telling them all about my accident, which got more and more improbable each time. After the third time of this, I felt bad and now ask them if they're really happy doing such a job and that they are better than this kind of thing and surely they could find something else that didn't kill them a little on the inside every time they spoke to someone.

Yes, I am that kind of twat.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Nylock, muscovyduck, Judelo and 4 others like this.
  4. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

Aviva, and I am sure others, sell your information on to third parties after you make a claim.

5. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

'Get on your bike. "

You're smart and observent enough to know why that attitude is a bit shit.

Celyn likes this.
  6. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

I didn't get on my bike, that's my point.

Greebo likes this.
  7. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I don't get many of these. But once someone rang me up and started talking about claiming back my PPI. I said, I've never had a loan, she said "it doesn't matter, we can still claim for you" :D

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've never made a claim.

Greebo likes this.
  9. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

I sometimes ask them about my "accident" I usually just put the phone down though cos that's a bit mean

Eta I had my first ever cold call on my mobile the other day, this thread has reminded me to check who I've had dealings with recently

10. xenon

Oh cmon. Be annoyed fine. But not the sneary get a better job shit. Why aren't you a millionare etc.

11. J Ed

I never answer my phone if I don't know the number

12. NoXion

I've spent most of the past decade unemployed, so you're totally barking up the wrong tree with this misguided attempt to draw analogies with Tory memes.

13. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Spot on. Insurance companies have been complaining about a compensation culture for years whilst at the same time making stacks of money by selling on details of people involved in accidents

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  14. xenon

Only jobs going for some are this stuff. Maybe they shoulda just lived with JSA sanctions, sent their kids away, stayed out of the workplace, been more like you.

spanglechick and muscovyduck like this.
  15. Cloo

Cloo U R dOin me a friTen

It's quite funny to ask them to tell you where and when this accident was seeing as they know about it.

muscovyduck, oryx and innit like this.
  16. NoXion

I'm skeptical that jobs involving hard-selling and cold calling are the only ones available anywhere for anyone. As for sanctions, the type of people the JobCentre focuses on are the soft targets who lack the assertiveness that employers in sales look for. If by some chance they happened to land such a job, they'd quickly lose it because as bad as the JobCentre can be, bosses obsessed with targets are much worse. I once worked in a factory that set targets for its workers, and it was very much a case of damned if you do, and damned if you don't; we got shit for not meeting production targets and if we did meet them, they raised the bar again. I see no reason why jobs involving cold-calling would be any better. In my experience, the type of people who can stick with sales jobs are often the same type of people who see themselves as social climbers and temporarily inconvenienced millionaires, rather than ordinary people with families to feed.

Judelo likes this.
  17. J Ed

I get what you mean, sort of, but in some areas outbound call centres are the only places where you can work immediately and I think that you are vastly underestimating just how picky managers in call centres generally (let alone dodgy outbound ones) are about who they can get to fill seats.

muscovyduck likes this.
  18. NoXion

Wouldn't that pickyness mean that call centre jobs are generally harder to get than others?

19. J Ed

No what I mean (I meant to say underestimating) is that they will hire anyone more or less. I know someone who worked as a line manager for one of the shittier outbound places in Sheffield and he basically boasted about that.

20. NoXion

Fair point. I don't apply for those kind of jobs because I would honestly rather deal with the JobCentre's crap. Better the devil you know and all that. The jobs I've recently worked in have been temporary low-level admin stuff.

muscovyduck, Judelo and Greebo like this.
  21. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I get a lot less since registering with the TPS

22. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

Beware cold callers saying they are calling on behalf of UK Preference (not to be confused with TPS though obviously intended to be). They tell you they have to keep calling until you answer their questions, and can be abusive. They seem to be able to mask their number so it appears to be coming from somewhere else, or 'Withheld' or 'International' but it may be discovered by using 1471 so you can block it.

Greebo likes this.
  23. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

The same applies to most call centers though. I worked in a market research one for a while and shitty as it was they weren't scamming anyone. Knew people who had also worked for the dodgier ones and their main reason was commissions and the money. Not saying no ones doing it for lack of options but some certainly do it because they're happy enough fleecing old ladies rather than getting paid less for just boring the arse off of them.

Mind you that was in London and we have a load of call centers to go to. You can choose a less scammy one.

Greebo likes this.
  24. J Ed

Perhaps, I know that the call centre for the bank I worked for was fairly picky because a few perfectly capable people I know got rejected from it and it was very poorly paid for what it was (£14,500). Bigger reserve army of labour in South Yorkshire tho

25. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

Banks might be a different thing really, given the access to info. Certainly pays a chunk more than the zero hour stuff I was doing.

26. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

TPS has been a near total failure. What, around ten prosecutions (nine were pre-2012) and less than 20 enforcement and notification actions in the last decade and, with fines so small that they make the tiny risk of prosecution worth a scammer signing-up with them in order to get the no-call list. Never mind the number that now operate through intermediaries from places TPS can't ever reach. :mad:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    muscovyduck, Badgers, Greebo and 2 others like this.
  27. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Which I think tells you all you need to know about this being just a scamming/phishing exercise.

Greebo likes this.
  28. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Oh sure. It's just that it's a really quick way to say "I have no interest in what you are selling and never want to be contacted again". Some of them even say "oh sorry we'll remove you from our database" before hanging up, not that it would do any good even if they did, given that the original dodgy source that they got my number from is still floating out there and will be for ever. Mostly they just hang up immediately.

muscovyduck and pogofish like this.
  29. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I've had loads in the last couple of years. I usually just say "wrong!" and hang up.

Greebo likes this.
  30. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

I had one of those Bangalore-based calls claiming to actually be the TPS a couple of weeks ago! they got a swift "not interested!" from me, and the TPS got an e-mail letting them know about phishers using their good name.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.