Cold callers who have "heard that you've been involved in a car accident"

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Apr 11, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Anyone getting these? It's obviously another of these vile insurance compensation claims things. I've had about three in the past three weeks. Horrible practice.

muscovyduck likes this.
  2. gosub

gosub ~#

Not so much in last year and a half. but yep and not had an accident

3. Sea Star

Sea Star i no longer belong here

I don't pick the phone up unless I know who the person calling is. So no.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  4. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Yes for a few years now, it's getting old. More tiresome still when the caller insists that VP or I was behind the wheel - which is impossible if the accident happened in the last 20+ years.

muscovyduck and friendofdorothy like this.
  5. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Usually just "an accident", or "an accident it work".

6. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

I used to just politely decline all that fishing call crap. But after a wile discovered that the ruder you are to them the less calls you get.

7. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

My mate always answers with the following statement.
    'I am awfully sorry, I could not possibly comment, I am only the butler'.

8ball, marty21, muscovyduck and 15 others like this.
  8. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Car accident? Yep all the time.
    It did use to come from a Swansea number (which I pick up cos my elderly folks are still there) but now, it's somewhere up north.

Nuisance.

9. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Yeah a few times. If they call on mobile, I add number to blocked list. IS total fishing bollocks.

10. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

I get loads! It's very annoying. But I also add the numbers to the blocked list.

11. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

I like to correct them and explain it WAS my fault, what with being pissed and off my head on various drugs at the time.

Maggot, Spymaster, marty21 and 24 others like this.
  12. gosub

gosub ~#

That doesn't really excuse nicking the car in the first place.

marty21, wayward bob, Mation and 10 others like this.
  13. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

they're trying it by text too.

14. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I hate to do a Pogofish but I think we have had this topic before. I remember my response and will not repeat it now.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Greebo likes this.
  15. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I've had a couple in the last 3 weeks, its especially annoying as they are phoning from standard UK numbers or mobile numbers so you don't even get the luxury of thinking "hmm, anonymous call or 0800 number, they can fuck off"

16. happie chappie

happie chappie Well-Known Member

I get loads of them. If I’d been in the number of accidents they say I've had I’d be lucky to be alive, never mind be able to pick up the phone.

I have a couple of standard responses when they ring.

If they ask if Mr x is there, I tell them he’s just be arrested for fraud and unable to accept any calls. Or I tell he’s been detained under the Mental Health Act.

pianistenvy, Nylock, marty21 and 9 others like this.
  17. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

The usual "sorry mate, can you hang on a sec?' or 'he's driving at the moment, can you wait a minute until we can pull over' then just leave your phone until they hang up should work. Everyone should do this. Waste their time not yours. It's a shame I don't get these type of calls at all as I'd love to piss them about.

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i say i can't entertain a deal with them because i'm suing their firm. gets them off the line sharpish.

19. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

The sooner you get them off the line the more time they have to swindle someone's nan. Keep the cunts busy if you can.

CNT36, TopCat, moochedit and 5 others like this.
  20. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

My blocked list is now full of these fuckers - how do I block more?

21. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

or not being a driver ever. Hasn't stopped them calling yet.

MikeMcc and Greebo like this.
  22. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I get quite a few of these, despite being on the TPS - usual tactics are, either to keep them on as long as possible (if I can spare the time) or something involving sex and travel if I haven't any spare time. For the recorded "important messages" I just leave the phone off until it goes back to dialing tone. As my phone is an emergency contact for my elderly father I don't usually waste too much time. Going onto the tps has reduced the calls significantly; although it does take a while to kick in properly, but tps does nothing to stop scammers and calls from overseas, very unfortunately.

Greebo and friendofdorothy like this.
  23. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Cold calling is a shit demoralising job so i find a quick 'no, but thanks for calling anyway' then hangup and block the number is the best response. No need to be rude and/or take the piss

Maggot, muscovyduck, Celyn and 6 others like this.
  24. deadringer

deadringer meat pie sausage roll

This. As frustrating as these calls are I do feel sorry for the person who has the unpleasant job of dealing with pissed off or rude people all day, probably some youngster on minimum wage in a windowless hellhole.

muscovyduck, Celyn, J Ed and 3 others like this.
  25. Yata

Yata Well-Known Member

had 2 a while back hung up on first told 2nd ive never driven in my life havent phoned since but i did start getting a LOT of phone calls from debt consolidators after TV license missed payments was passed onto debt collectors

26. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

If an idiot like me who finished school early with no real qualifications and still has a shit CV can still make it through life (and a recession) without having to take a job involving scamming people and/or pushing crap on them that they never asked for, then I don't really buy it as an excuse for anyone else.

27. BassJunkie

BassJunkie devotees straight on

I had some fun with them but now block them. On one occasion I went along with them until they asked for my address when I pointed out I'd died in the accident so don't 'live' anywhere anymore.

My more standard response would be "I've had quite a few accidents, which one?". It would then soon become clear they (of course) had no idea at all.

pianistenvy, ddraig, D'wards and 3 others like this.
  28. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Yup, done cold-calling for market research when I first moved to London so I know what you mean.

However, when someone called me a few years ago asking for 'the man of the house' :eek: I had to point out that the 'man of the house' was presently using his litter tray.

29. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

"I'm on the TPS, can I have the name and address of your company please?" gets pretty much the sharpest hang-up ever.

weltweit, Nylock, muscovyduck and 4 others like this.
  30. keybored

keybored

"Could you call back in ten minutes please? My hands free isn't working and I'm driv OH SHIT NO ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHH - *"

(*throw phone at wall)