Coffee machine disaster. Advice please

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by pogofish, Apr 7, 2009.

1. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Too much caffeine ?

:D

2. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

For somebody maybe?

gentlegreen likes this.
  3. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I have the loan of one of these La Pavoni beasts at the moment (the copper one with the heath robinson-looking pressure guage and everything) Its been here a few days and I have to give it back soon but am really enjoying the whole thing whilst also vaguely scared of it blowing up.. Have you any new advice since the post in here? they are stupidly expensive.
    I've been quite happy with my stovetop until I got to borrow this thing and now I want one, i like the whole ritual of it and how gradually my coffees are getting better by trial and error.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Five years ago I bought a Lidl espresso maker. The seals are a bit old and in need of replacement, they'll cost about 10€ to do. It produces acceptable coffee. A better machine is needed though. I'm looking at a 300€ Krups bean to coffee machine. Are they any good?

5. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Probably as above - look for a respectable second hand website. Somewhere like eBay has a bit of a risk of picking up a seriously damaged machine, but if eg toomuchcoffee is still going, then it’s a cracking site with posters with long established reputations.

Getting a decent grinder would then be the other potential cost....

bimble likes this.
  6. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Can't comment on the Krups, as we have a DeLonghi. But I can comment on bean-to-cup in general.

Coming from having just an old Breville espresso machine and a Tassimo from when we can't be bothered, it's a godsend. The proper coffee snobs will tell you it can't do this that and the other, but the fact is that it's so much better than any other sort of one-touch system (why in the hell do people pay that for Nespresso?), and considerably more convenient that grinding your own and stuffing them in an espresso machine yourself.

Of course there are compromises. But really you'd have to spend £600-plus to make noticeably better coffee. And you can pick up one of the cheaper DeLonghis (they're all the same inside, some just look nicer or have an automated milk frother) for £180 these days. If you ever buy a coffee from Nero/Starbucks/et.al. and this cures you of the habit, it pays back very quickly. Even compared to the Nespresso or Tassimo machines, it pays for itself (and generates less waste). Though in my case, I've ploughed the savings into vastly more expensive coffee beans. But to each their own. :)

I'd love a big, metal double-boiler instead but:
    1 - I can't afford it
    2 - I don't have the counter space.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  7. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Thanks. Things have escalated this week. I dropped the machine when moving it. I'm going for a De Longhi because it seems a good compromise. I'm not going for the bean to cup option.

I could get a Tassimo for as little as 40€ but not only is the per cup expensive, its not very nice.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I think one of these is certainly on my wish list. The idea of decent coffee with minimal faff is very appealing. Is there a big jump in quality from using a stovetop?

9. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I have a Delonghi bean to cup & it is minimal faff, once you work out the machine's routine & you descale it on a regular basis/ when prompted.

10. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

It's different stuff, innit? Some people just love the percolator coffee, I've always found it quite hit and miss even when made by people who use one daily. Mostly miss, it has to be said. Personal preferences and whatnot. Stovetop is not espresso; the bean to cup machines are designed to dispense espresso. You can loosen the grind up and put more water through to generate something a bit more stove-toppy, but I don't think it's what it's best at. The water volume knob on mine goes from roughly 7 o'clock to 5, and I find anything past 9:30 a bit gross. While the missus sets it to 11 and is perfectly happy. Past that, you're just creating over-extracted mud but since that's what percolator coffee tastes like to me, that may be fine.

That's one thing I can say for them - you won't be happy the first week because there's a lot of trial and error involved in getting the grind, temperature, and volume where you like it. And you'll be pinging off the walls while you figure it out. :)

11. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Thanks. I only stopped drinking instant coffee about a year ago, so I still think most things are improvement. Saying that I started with a cafetiere, then got a stove top. Left the stove top at my Dads at xmas and I can now really notice the difference between the two. I don't actually drink espresso, but think that's how how decent coffee is made from? Rarely order coffee out as it's expensive, but seem to like a "flat white", although that can vary massively from place to place.

I'd have to do a lot more reading before I fork out anyway as it seems a whole new world. Is grind how fine the coffee is done?

12. petee

petee i'm spartacus

i have 2 nespresso machines and am quite happy with them. the least expensive model works the same as any more expensive one, i understand.

btw, freeze-dried coffee, if it still exists, is delicious sprinkled over ice cream.

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

this thread makes me think of

[​IMG]

14. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

Nespresso have only released the new machine because the patent has run out on the pods so they can't be exclusive to them now. Refillable Nespresso pods are available for the older model so you can still have the "nicest" pod coffee but with the convenience of the machine.

15. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Well, the Rancillio machine/Graef grinder combination I eventually settled-on is still churning-out the cups of coffee on a daily basis, from bean to cup in any way I want it. :)