Coach Travel - Eastbourne Away (FA Cup) 6 October

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by DHST, Sep 28, 2018.

1. DHST

DHST Well-Known Member

We can confirm pricing and departure time for the coach to Eastbourne Borough next week.

The coach will leave Champion Hill at 11:30, due to arrive around 14:00.

Pricing:

£25 Adults and £20 Concessions

£20 Trust Adult members and £15 Trust Concessions

Bookings and payment will be taken at the game on Saturday (from the Mega-container). If you are unable to make the game, please email info@dhst.org.uk if you wish to make a booking.

Matt The Cab likes this.
  2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Proof that the trust does not represent the fanbase but only its members. Shame. They can't claim to represent the fanbase as othewise they would want as many people to go to away matches as possible.

The only defence is to boost membership, is that more important than ensuring as many go the game as possible.

They could have priced it at £15 for everyone if they wanted, and there is no justification not to.

Shame!

EDC likes this.
  3. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Sure it was a lot less to go to Macclesfield ?

4. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

It was £25 and £15 concessions for Macclesfield.

If the trust had bothered to listen and changed the prices I would have joined again.

As far as im concerned I dont care how much good work they do for the club. They don’t listen to people’s concerns and this is what people have been saying about them for a long long time.

Classic case of people putting everything above simple right and wrong.

5. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

urban stop being urban

6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Trust stop being trust. Surely utterly utterly tone deaf.

If you want it to stop being urban. Someone from the trust should explain their reason for offering a discount for trust members.

Did someone from the trust read my comments and for a second consider that there was no actual advantage to offering trust members a discount?

Did anyone consider for a second that its unjust that some fans should have to pay more than others?

Does the trust stand for a two tier system of fans where a trust member should have a greater say?

Does this mean that when they meet with the club they are speaking only for the trust members and not for the fanbase as a whole?

And did anyone on the trust say to themselves, maybe we should charge £15 £10 pound concessions and subsidise the rest?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  7. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Based on the concession rate assuming a 49 seater sells out:

Let's say 30 adults @ £20: brings in £600.
    Let's say 19 concessions@ £15: brings in £285.

The cost of the coach, I would guess is between £600 & £700 to Eastbourne, so already in profit, as the 'everyone a Trust member' price.

So are the coaches being run to make a profit, or to collectively break even over the season?

With regard to the £25 fare to Eastbourne, the train comaprison is as follows:

From London Victoria: £33.40 return or £22.40 with a 1/3 off card (Netword card, Senior railcard etc.)

From Clapham Junction: £29.20 return or £19.20 reduced.

From East Croydon: £26.70 or a mere £17.65 reduced.

If I wasn't working on this day it would CHEAPER for me to go by train from East Croydon, which is as easy to get to for me as it is to head toward London & Champion Hill for the departure point.

And the cost of the Eastbourne trip is a fiver a head more expensive than the away game to Bath City despite being just under fifty miles closer!

B.I.G likes this.
  8. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Train problems on this day but point well made.

9. YTC

YTC Human Man

TBF it's £35 return from London Bridge, takes just under 2 hours with a change at St. Leonards. I'll be taking that route I think.

10. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

And for those who can’t afford that, the DHST coach provides an affordable door to door option that is run on a ‘not for profit’ basis to get folks to the game.

11. YTC

YTC Human Man

I hate coaches, I'd be getting the train anyway!

12. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Its £23.50 with a group save (3 people together per person). Same price with a rail card / gold card.

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Only affordable if you are a member of the trust. Otherwise you have to pay an extra five pounds. Because? No stated reason apparently.

14. DHST

DHST Well-Known Member

Just to explain our thinking about coach pricing. We built a model to look at total cost and revenue of coaches for League games over the season as a whole. Never having done this before, although having received helpful advice from Shaun Dooley, we had to make assumptions to provide a guide price for each trip. These were:
    • Over the course of the season, we wanted to break even with an occupancy of 80%.
    • Any loss we incur, we will bear. Any profit we make goes to the 12th Man. We have all the downside risk in other words.
    • Based on previous coach bookings, we assumed that we would have 50% concessions and 50% non-concessions.
    • We assumed that 80% of passengers would be Trust members.
    • We are running raffles on board but the money from these does not go to subsidise coach costs, as happened previously, but goes directly to the Club’s charity partner and the 12th man (50/50 split).
    The model guide prices are then considered in line with train prices and other factors. For example, in the case of Bath City, a number of factors (in particular the short-notice announcement of the coach) meant that we reduced the pricing from the model suggestion of £24 - £18 - £12 to £20 - £15 - £10. As it was the first coach we ran, we wanted to start off on the right foot and try and attract as many fans as possible to take the coach. However, we made a loss of around £200 which is clearly not sustainable. Money will still be going to the 12th Man and the Club’s charity partner from the on board raffle.

In terms of the Eastbourne match, we considered the following factors along with the model pricing:
    • The engineering works on the train line (we were previously unaware of the St-Leonards option) – and believed a coach was a more convenient option as opposed to the hassle of the combination of trains and rail replacement buses and the 20 min + walk to the stadium.
    • The train prices – taking into account the additional cost of getting to the mainline stations, we ensured the pricing was lower on the coach.
    • The appeal of the match – a lower than usual away crowd was expected given it is an FA Cup game and we will also be playing them in the league.
    Based on this, we felt the pricing of £25 - £20 - £15 was appropriate for this match and would enable us to break even at 75% capacity.

Once again, it’s worth emphasising that we are not doing this to make money. Any profit we make goes to the 12th Man. Any loss we incur, we will bear. Raffle money goes to charity.

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

This is all fair enough and well thought out. I’m just sad that I won’t go to the game because in principle I’m against two tier pricing when we are all Dulwich fans together.

To me its a simple case of right and wrong, togetherness vs separation.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry you had to type it out on a Friday evening.

I hope the coach is close to capacity. I personally prefer a coach to a train. Many of my favourite moments have been on a coach.

Good luck.

Christian Burt and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  16. takkforalt

takkforalt Well-Known Member

anyone got a taxi price/number from the station?

Cyclodunc, YTC and Griff_Turnstile like this.
  17. DHST

DHST Well-Known Member

We would just add, following further feedback after our statement above, that the pricing is not discriminatory, nor is it arbitrary.

The Trust Board took a decision in July to set aside a significant sum of money that it is prepared to risk in order to provide the option of coach transport to certain away games this season.

We are always acutely aware as a board that any funds that we - the current custodians of the Trust - have the power to use, are not ‘ours’.

The funds that we are able to use - for this and other purposes - have been built up over many years by people who have contributed financially through their subscriptions and by dedicated and voluntary fundraising efforts. Simply stated, without our members, the Trust would not be in a position to organise coaches.

On that basis, we took the view that current Trust members should receive a reduction on the standard price of coaches.

This is not a precedent we are setting. Many clubs have similar arrangements - some via their Supporters’ Trusts or Clubs, some via travel clubs. A subscription fee to these organisations allows services to be paid for. Members of such organisations invariably receive a reduced price for away travel.

We will always seek to ensure that the highest priced seat on coaches that we run will be significantly lower than that available via alternative forms of transport charged on a similar basis from the same origin point in East Dulwich.

It is also worth noting - especially as we move into the colder months - that a coach can be cancelled at a few hours notice and you will receive your money back. The lowest train fares, that may on occasion be compared with our coach prices, are often non-refundable.

Please be assured that, as the season progresses, we will keep pricing and other arrangements under review.

18. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

What this says to me is that the trust don’t have the right skills to run a coach let alone a football club.

Skills of bringing people together and doing the right thing.

It stinks of me of New Labour / Red Tory politics. We thought it all through and we know whats best but we didn’t take into account a simple aspect called right and wrong and couldn’t make any adjustment to our plan for the sake of what £50??

At least it can be seen why the trust through its many incarnations manages to alienate other fans.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  19. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the forthcoming cartoons of the trust board depicted as rats wearing top hats

20. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

Jeez, are you an undercover operative for the trust? I sort of thought you had a point until that last post, where you go way off the deep end. This looks like a personal vendetta now, not an actual argument against policy.

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

A personal vedetta? Wasn’t I backing the trust only a few weeks ago.

Im pissed off. And even worse the trust have confirmed to all their critics their way of thinking.

I believe that the coach would have taken more money if they hadn’t adopted their two tier pricing.

But if you or anyone else thinks its a personal vendetta. I’m not that bothered.

Christian Burt likes this.
  22. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

But I will fight against them for as long as I can because they haven’t adapted at all against their critics.

And now they are actively splitting the fanbase and affecting my ability to attend games.

23. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

So, anyway...

24. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

B.I.G You appear to be the critic representing yourself as the fanbase - of which every Trust Board member and every Trust member is a part.

It is draining and demotivating for a group of fantastic people who work their bloody socks off for the good of the club and with whom I am proud to be associated. It shouldn’t be but it is because everyone on the Trust Board actually cares.

The Trust has tried to respond reasonably and to explain its position but you are now simply subjecting it to ad hominem abuse.

The only suggestion I can make is that you meet and speak to me personally - tomorrow if you like - or at any other time of your choosing - or at whatever match we both next attend?

Until then I, personally, do not intend to make any further response.

MrFab_JP and gnar182 like this.
  25. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I’m sorry that they probably feel that way. I have supported the trust in many conversations. Many of them I consider to be my friends and would support them against anyone and anything.

I won’t attack the trust anymore or indeed the members.

But I don’t believe that the trust will alter its two tier pricing and its me that is going to directly miss out as a result.

If it helps anyone feel better, a single tier approach would have generated good will and probably generated more income.

In respect to your position. Have a good weekend. Last word from here.

dcdulwich likes this.
  26. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

Change the record. The fact the coach is available from ground to ground is fantastic and the fact people are attempting to run them is fantastic and much appreciated.

If you don’t want to use it just book your own travel. :facepalm:

pompeydunc and Scottfield like this.
  27. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Thought you'd just use your two-together railcard, B.I.G

28. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Nah, because that along with rail season tickets, football season tickets and the concessions we and other clubs offer on the gates are essential evil two tier pricing.

End of the world if you allow this shit :hmm:

pompeydunc, Scrooge and MrFab_JP like this.
  29. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I look forward to the coach being full with non-trust members happy to pay more than their fellow supporters.

I, for one, am deeply upset that I won’t be on the coach on Saturday.

I’m ever more upset that its the result of decisions made by people who actively avoided travel on the coach previously.

Thanks for all the support :D

30. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

:D