Clubs / raves that people raved about that actually were mint.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by free spirit, Sep 23, 2014.

1. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I used to go to Voodoo at McGonagles. I was the only metaller at the early house nights. :D \m/

First place I heard Stakker Humanoid.

I might have been at that Public Enemy gig as well....I went to loads of gigs there.

krtek a houby likes this.
  2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

I remember the sheer delight at securing tickets for the Nirvana gig, thinking how awesome it would be for them to play a relatively small venue.

Then due to "illness", the gig was cancelled and rescheduled for the Point. :(

spitfire likes this.
  3. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Did they end up playing The Point gig?

I definitely remember seeing Public Enemy play a short set on College Green in the afternoon. I think we bunked off school for that.. I'm not 100% on the McGonagles gig though, I'm sure I'd remember but you never know.

Three memorable Trinity debutants

Public Enemy – June 1988
    A tale of two gigs this one. The first, an afternoon appearance at the Trinity Ball, was nothing to write home about. The second, later that same evening, in McGonagles, was unforgettable. Perhaps the first headline hip-hop act to visit the country, Chuck D used the opportunity – in between bruisingly loud songs – to educate the audience on civil rights.

krtek a houby likes this.
  4. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

It must be Faces of the Forest - on that mix from 57 minutes in. I fucking love those Padded Cell singles :cool:

moody likes this.
  5. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I went to my first rave at Cooltan.

I ended up there one night by accident and it was the first time I'd heard trance/techno over a proper soundsystem. I stayed there dancing pretty much til it ended, completely straight except a few vodkas I'd had before I got there. I was amazed how everyone was so friendly and full of energy - it was only later that someone pointed out they were all on ecstasy :facepalm::D

That night actually changed my life :cool:

danski, blossie33, pesh and 2 others like this.
  6. spitfire

spitfire Toast

It was. I ended up there on a short visit from Dublin before I moved here properly and it blew my mind.

editor likes this.
  7. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

They did and my sis went to see them. I was all huffy about them playing such a venue and stupidly decided not to get tickets.

spitfire likes this.
  8. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Cooltan absolutely changed my life too - I loved the mix of art, music, politics and community activism/involvement and it took balls to keep that going when Brixton was a substantially rougher place to be.

Spandex likes this.
  9. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

Full Tilt at the Electric Ballroom was a good night.

10. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I've just checked- I have 2 parts. Part 1 is the Soundcloud 1 above, which starts with hip hop. Part 2 is higher on the tempos but finishes off with his remix of MBV- Glide. As below.

11. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

yeah, richard sen is really good.

12. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

This is a bit subjective and situation-dependent. My raving days are long behind me but had amazing nights at unknown clubs/raves and rubbish experiences at the supposedly amazing ones. Just depended on the circumstances, the crowd, the company and the quality of the consumables.

blossie33 likes this.