Clubs / raves that people raved about that actually were mint.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by free spirit, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Tin Tins @ (Birmingham)
    Sundissential @ sanctuary (Birmingham)
    Strawberry Sundae (can't remember but it was under railway arches in Vauxhall (London)
    Trade @ Turnmills (London)
    Marco Polo Bar Birmingham

All early 90's

pardon and rubbershoes like this.
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

That reminds me, Sex, Love & Motion at the Soundshaft was brilliant. Did anyone else go?

And it was full of hippies but I did enjoy Megatripolis at Heaven.

3. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Got to the Arches a couple of times as a student in Sheffield, though used to spend many ace nights at Love to be at the Music Factory :D

free spirit likes this.
  4. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Went to Sex Love and Motion a once. It didn't do it for me

I've just found out that Troll is namechecked by Rev Richard Coles in his autobiography. :thumbs:

5. fuck seals

fuck seals Well-Known Member

6. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Yes me!

Was my first non hardcore club pretty much when I knocked labyrinth on the head in 93/94ish

Orang Utan likes this.
  7. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Was shy abt mentioning that here :)

Mostly free, flyering it for, er, political dance events :D

8. pardon

pardon Well-Known Member

Both quality clubs

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  9. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

The Orbit
    Atomic Jam
    Woooosh, Marcus Garvey Centre, loads of DIY & Smokescreen events, BPI, Staircase, Skyy club, Venus & loads more which escape my memory (Nottingham)
    Leadmill, Occasions, Limit Club, Palais, Nelson Mandela building, The City Hall ballroom & loads more again(Sheffield)

One offs of note.......
    E-Werk
    Ostgut (it was the period when Tresor was closed)

nogojones likes this.
  10. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

would have loved to go to orbit around 93 when dave angel was playing.

11. dialectician

I used to really rate rupture around 2011-12. All junglists.

Otherwise most of my memorables have been one off warehouse ones. I never really liked most clubs, all that bouncer shit wondering if they're gonna let a blind person in or turn you down was stressful, especially if you were peaking on an intoxicant of choice. Cable and Corsica were good though. I heard Elijah and Skilliam are still putting on nights. Would like to go to one again.

Plastic people had an amazing sound system but always closed too early which made getting home a nightmare. + the smoking ban really fucked it, it was stressful going for a joint in front of security man, thank God for fags.

Went to a few hackney hardcore's as well, I think, non-stop quality oldskool. and not forgetting Jerome Hill's don't nights, always.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he was playing there in the late nineties too, for me the orbit was cj bolland playing the prophet and the place going completely mental.

Edie likes this.
  13. dialectician

ah yeah the prophet. bit too trancy for me I guess.

Well i would have liked to have heard tunes like this on a big system. Shame what happened to Dave Angel though, went all tech house.

14. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Agreed, a massive loss. He did a wicked essential mix, I think in 94.

dialectician likes this.
  15. butcher

butcher boner at the ready

My first night at a club was (I think) Trancentral at the 4 Aces Dalston.

The nights I loved most were Pendragon, Undertow and Samsara tho'

16. dialectician

Yeah two, 94 and 99! the 99 one is slick, lloads of classic warm house music pitched up to +8, what hard house should have been after 95 imo...

Although Freek FM does always fulfil that sound as well. check mixcloud loads of 4x4/UKG, the good stuff, 97 is a peak especially.

17. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Shelley's in 1990-1991 was probably the most memorable time of my ecstasy honeymoon. It was the first time I saw Carl Cox on three decks. I couldn't believe someone with sausages for fingers could work the decks so well :D

Badgers, Patteran and pardon like this.
  18. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I used to go there then. :hmm:

It was a great club.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  19. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

was my birthday, few years back, gf at the time picked me up, thought I was being treated to a shop for some jeans.... instead she tells me we're driving to manchester, to the electrik chair night, the one the unabombers put on at the musicbox to see andy wetherell.

the most f-ing amazing clubbing experence of my life, beats sonar festival, booking masters at work, everything so far.

I had been posting on the electriks forum for a while before hand so got to meet all the regulars, they took us into some dodgy back room with peeling red paint and fed us full of mandy, I remember people ripping the white camo netting from the sweaty roof,

insane.

DaveCinzano and blossie33 like this.
  20. circleline

circleline Well-Known Member

I started reading this thread from the top to see if anyone mentioned Sterns.. Blimey, Sterns!

And Trade at Turnmills; had one of the best nights of my life..

pardon likes this.
  21. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Cooltan in Brixton was bloody amazing.

Spandex, pesh, co-op and 2 others like this.
  22. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

This?....

Spandex likes this.
  23. moody

I actually think so!

pardon likes this.
  24. moody

I remember kevin brown in room 2

25. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Any London trance urbs should get down to 414 before it closes at the end of the month. Sad times.

26. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

In Brighton The Zap Club and The Event

27. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Think there's a part 2. I have it on MP3. I remember discussing it in the last few years online, maybe with you?

28. moody

Listening back, I certainly remember him playing hip hop at the start of his set so maybe, just i remember there being a banging tune that I'd asked Wetherall for an ID and he showed me the sleeve, and turned out to be a tune by padded cell, which I didn't catch on that mix. Maybe I missed it or maybe he played at the night more than once

29. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

spitfire likes this.
  30. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Cooltan, the sporadic Valentia Place railway arch parties and the once a month parties in the closed down Lord Westbury pub on Wandsworth road in the mid to late 90s are still some of the best parties i've ever been to.