Clubs / raves that people raved about that actually were mint.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by free spirit, Sep 23, 2014.

1. fuck seals

fuck seals Well-Known Member

Get thyself back down The ARches ....

happy days :)

baldrick likes this.
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Most clubs I loved have already been mentioned. The Orbit really was the best - from design to DJs to music policy.

Soundclash in the basement of the Music Factory (Back To Basics) never gets mentioned, but that was amazing for all things dub-related - Rootsman, Simon Scott and Mark Iration (Ital Rockers/Iration Steppas) were the residents and Andrew Weatherall's guest spot there was legendary.

Oh, and there was Final Frontier at Club UK. Too many stories about that, but I first went on my own and danced solidly between 10 and 6 without talking to anyone, just listening and dancing. Will never get nights like that again.

3. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

What was the place on the corner of Hoxton Square and Coronet St in the early 90s? Became the Blue Note later...

4. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Bass Clef.

oryx, Orang Utan and laptop like this.
  5. Orang Utan

i think it used to be called the Bass Clef

laptop likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

Psyche!

I only went to Blue Note twice

Once to Metalheadz, which was incredible - the energy in the room was just phenonemal.
    Once to Stealth, which was just spellbinding. Kid Koala doing amazing things on the decks, but Coldcut just killing it with tune after tune, juxtaposed in their characteristic way

ddraig likes this.
  7. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

That's it.

Basement - mostly African music as I recall - was proper soggy. Especially since the ceiling was about 2mm above my head.

8. Orang Utan

I remember kids trying to put their best screwfaces on, but blowing it when a particularly fruity bassline came on, dispersing to a full grin.

laptop likes this.
  9. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

lets get proper fucked. anyone know somewhere?

Orang Utan likes this.
  10. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

It was brilliant - can't imagine many places like that exist any more, at least not in London.

11. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Oh god. I love this thread

12. Orang Utan

i wanna go out now - i was bored tonight and took some ecstasy - silly me!

Supine likes this.
  13. 74drew

74drew Well-Known Member

Pure was a really important place in my life for near enough 10 years. Very happy memories and I think it was quite formative for me, not just in music taste but lifelong friends. Some nights the crowd could make almost as much noise as the tunes. I can remember Orbital playing Chime for what felt like an hour one night.

Here's a nice article about it by a regular:
    Red Bull Music Academy

and a flavour of it right at the end [although they did more]:

ddraig likes this.
  14. Orang Utan

still bang into Optimo - wish i'd visited Optimo Espacio too

15. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Smokescreen free party oop north!

16. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I never really went to that many clubs in the 90s but I did go to Metalheadz @ Blue Note thank god, yes it was ace, smoked a spliff on the stairwell midway through, can you imagine that now?

Of course i wish I had visited Rage @ Heaven, it would've been possible but i just wasn't aware enough.

17. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

Went there once, long weekend in Edinburgh with a load of Gorbachev trips :thumbs:, heard DJ Ramjack (who was ace) drop 'We R IE' on dub plate - seminal moment, still remember it well

Carnage :cool:

dialectician and ddraig like this.
  18. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I'd doubt it ever was that banging in the way you spelt that though ;) :D

Fingers likes this.
  19. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

I could say that the day the Bass Clef closed was the day Shoreditch died for me.

Or maybe it was the day the London Apprentice closed, but I didn't actually mark that date because I never went there, just appreciated it as a landmark :)

But, no, this is a happy thread about happy memories. Glad you liked the Blue Note.

20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

:cool: saw Lennie De Ice there I think! Got a tune of his somewhere, shoop or something?

twentythreedom likes this.
  21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Thanks loafsfir this!!! Was a special place and special ravers :)

22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Went to metalheadz at blue note once, mind blowing and clearly seminal, Bjork was there, guess when seeing Goldie

23. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Final Frontier at Club UK footage. Does look a good laf, very 90s: 1.40 for the clip

Orang Utan likes this.
  24. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Must...not...look...at...camera...must...not...look...at...camera...

Can't...stop...looking...into...camera...CANNOT...STOP...LOOKING...INTO...CAMERA..!

25. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

turmills , knowledge , labirynth - london clubs
    house of god , atomic jam - birmingham 97
    trance buddah - amsterdam 95 ( and no trance included ! )
    castlemorton 92 , chobham common 91 , the techno travellers alfold parties 90-92, post office in uxbridge 94, many down holloway road cira 93-94 - uk parties

french teknival 93 , berlin spiral nye 93 ( or 94 )

and of course boomtown 2011,12,13,14,15

to name a few

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  26. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Am I alone in wondering what you were doing 1998-2010? Twelve stretch in the Scrubs, was it?! :oops:

27. ruffneck23

no university in manchester 97-2000 , then came back and still raved but those ones were not as standout as pre 2000 imo , then in 2005 decided to sort my life out ;)

which is still work in progress

passenger and DaveCinzano like this.
  28. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

I was up in Manchester during the 90's so my best nights were Manumission at Equinox followed by a short walk to Strangeways/Danceteria. Proper munted good times and no gangsters (only nice ones at least) Other bigger nights around the time like Bugged Out were great but didn't quite stay in my heart with as much fondness

Danceteria Manchester

29. ruffneck23

yeah went to bugged out a few times ( at the custard factory iirc ) but didnt think it worthy of my list, not to say it wasnt good, just not mint

30. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

Troll at the Soundshaft. A small mixed gay club tagged on to the back of Heaven. When I started going in 91 there was loads of Belgian techno. But it wasn't the music that made the club so special. The friendliness and lack of attitude wrapped you up when you were rushing . Piles of people on the floor at times, not sexual just all being together. The mad polystyrene ball area on some nights .

Plenty of big names came as guests Rupert Everett? Grace Jones? but there was no VIP area and they were just there at the bar while your addled mind thought I know the face , did I meet them here last week? No one gave a fuck who anyone was

I'd always wander through into Heaven to get a cup of tea . What a different world in there. It often seemed to be Calvin Klein night so there'd be hundreds of guys just in Calvins and shoes dancing to the crappy slow commercial house. So quick quick back into the madness of the fast madness of Troll rushing from my tea

Then after Troll it was almost time to go to Trade :cool:

DaveCinzano likes this.