Clubs / raves that people raved about that actually were mint.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by free spirit, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse In the area

Raves that people rave about but were pants -----> way

Fucking Tasco warehouse :D

Was driving to a Spiral+Bedlam do and these Mancs pulled alongside on the North Circular asking for directions to there, "Fucking miles mate, but next left here and you're in luck, plus it's free" They followed us in to this industrial estate in Edmonton, took one look through the door and fucked off. One of the best warehouse parties ever. SP23 done a re-mix of the Cadbury's flake tune, it was the week after the flake woman in the bath done a dizzy off some E's :D

Cpatain Rbubish likes this.
  2. Bahnhof Strasse

Raves that people rave about but were pants -----> way

3. Cpatain Rbubish

Cpatain Rbubish No friends, you don’t exist. You won't be missed.

That was always pre-party :D

4. Cpatain Rbubish

Wasn't really rave anyway, just quite warm and nice peeps (and BYOB).

William of Walworth likes this.
  5. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

But yeah, as already flagged, Ministry of Unsound. The bees knees and more, especially given that it happened -- and regularly! :) -- within 15 mins walk of where I lived :) :cool: :p :D

Big nostalgia-dominated respect to sus and robi and crew :)

(and thanks to hipipol and others for getting me into it)

They helped me have a great 40th in year ... whatever ;)

6. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Post-pub for me :p ;)

7. Bahnhof Strasse

Quite a few years later when we were doing a party on the south downs the filth came at around 10am to shut us down, it was such a nice day we asked them where's the nearest beach that lets dogs on, "Climping" the Sgt said, "I know it" I said, "I'm sure you do" he said, then winked! So we went there done a load of K, I went swimming with my dog who then nicked a sausage of some fucker's BBQ.

Cpatain Rbubish likes this.
  8. Bahnhof Strasse

Oh, while we're here, 'ave some flyers...

[​IMG]

9. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Not Tantra? I knew her back in Leeds.
    I didn't know Bahnhof Strasse knew Si Brown. Maybe I know BS too!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Cpatain Rbubish

We were uneducated at the same school.

Orang Utan likes this.
  11. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Nope Jez.

12. Doctor Carrot

Doctor Carrot Bear Grylls grills bare bears

Bumping and quoting an old post I know. I was just listening to the slackers, two of whom made an appearance at an unsound party in camberwell so it made me all nostalgic and think of unsound under the arches and the parties in Italy on the beach. I just wondered if it's still going? I guess not anymore. I wasn't a huge lover of raves for too long a period of my life but I loved every single unsound party I went to.

William of Walworth likes this.
  13. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Well, Labrynth and Edge are ones that come to mind, but as I was officially born a raver at Equinox @ Milwaukees, it can't be anywhere else for me.

An otherwise uninspiring concrete building from the outside, in the middle of nowhere, with just a service station opposite for stacking up some eats to combat the munchies. Queues would get pretty big early as it was a small/compact venue (capacity was perhaps 600?). Run by ESP Promotions who went onto found Dreamscape.

Inside though an absolutely amazing place. Ceiling was really low and a proper sweatbox - it used to drip! DJ on the same level. I never ever saw bad vibes or atmosphere in their once. Residents used to be Ellis Dee, Clarkee, Dougal, Swan E, Fat Controller and MC's Hooligan and Juiceman, and all the big names would pass through every week (Rider, Bukem, Ray Keith, etc).

In some ways what I like about it, is that only those of us that got down there really rave about it. Not a venue to get namechecked by articles in the Gruaniad or Vice dropping the usual ones when you know the author probably never even went there.

Having hit a certain age recently, I've been reminiscing about Milwaukees quite a bit of late and those times.

RIP Murray Beetson.

ska invita likes this.
  14. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

All my Biggleswade and Hitchin mates used to go... I've seen it from the outside! ;)

15. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

Amazing to think now that clubs would be full on going for it while it was still light outside. Think it was summer 1991 when we started going to Camden Palace on a Friday 9-2 or 2.30. Great fucking days:D

16. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

Atomic Jam.
    House of God.

Still going. :)

baldrick likes this.
  17. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

Wish I was old enough to have gone to the Orbit. :(

18. strummerville

strummerville vinyl lover

Tonka on the first Monday of the month at The Zap Club Brighton 1990-93. Rev, Choci and Harvey on the decks then Black Rock beach parties after. Did anyone actually have a proper job back then?

ddraig likes this.
  19. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

With you on Orbit. Utterly metal place. Saw Sven Vath there a load of times, Carl Cox etc. Used to go once or twice a month travelling over from Manchester. A serious club for serious techno. Ended up back at people's houses all over the north west :cool:

20. Fingers

Was a Cream loads during that time. Probably the best set I have seen and the most fucked I have been was when Paul Oakenfold played his Goa Mix album (not sure if the album was recored that night) and I totally off it and dancing on a table in the court yard for hours. Every other weekend and the remaining weekends would be at Progress in Derby or Gatecrasher in Sheffield in a similar state. Most of those years are a bit of a blank

21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

has Pure in Edinburgh been mentioned yet? :cool:
    amazing place

74drew likes this.
  22. Fingers

Did anyone go to the legendary Fantasia rave at Castle Donnington? 28,000 people. Carnage.

Chemical needs likes this.
  23. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Nope but I was at Bournemouth :cool:

24. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

I'm probably smooshing these events together in my head, but I'm fairly sure Twitch put on Derrick May + crew one weekend at Pure, and then the next weekend I saw Nirvana and Shonen Knife along the road a bit. Pure was at The Venue, right?

25. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Ive totally forgotten who I seen at the Orbit but every night did entirely live up to everyone's hype. The hours wd be great for me now too! Voodoo in liverpool had similar "vibe".

The Dungeons on lea Bridge Road I only caught towards its end but was still amazing, can imagine how great it must have been at its peak.

Ffwd @ plastic people on thursdays mid 2000s. An exciting time. Dubstep didn't really fulfill its promise ha.

26. Fingers

Went to Voodoo a couple of times but it did not really live up to Orbit

27. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

I think Bangfaces have never disappointed... The early ones were particularly mindblowing tho, the music policy was a bit less hard and fast abd more old school rave.

Orang Utan likes this.
  28. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

I want to say something at Leeds west Indian centre, but most of the nights there have blurred into one ha... ok I'll say Sub Dub there.

29. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Very happy memories indeed, albeit often not very clear ones. :cool: :D

30. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yes at The Venue