Clubhouse at DHFC

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by DHFC Clubhouse, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

HJKLMNOP

2. YTC

YTC Human Man

I was chatting with Dave from the bar the other day, and he calls it RHLSTP so there you go.

Jimbob73 and Lucy Fur like this.
  3. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

it's what the cool kids are calling it!

Jimbob73 and YTC like this.
  4. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Call me old fashioned...WTFIT? (What The Fuck Is It?)

5. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

I think 'It' is what the non-cool kids call the Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  6. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I have noticed the jump in bar prices recently, pints of Estrella up 50p per pint, and the previously decently priced 'Revisionist' up a whopping £1 per pint to £4.50.

Bit disappointed with that to be honest.

the 12th man likes this.
  7. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I noticed that myself with the Estrella.

8. jimbarkanoodle

Just means ill probably buy at least 1 pint less per match day because of it, and most likely drink before and after the game elsewhere now, which is a shame for all.

the 12th man and Pink Panther like this.
  9. Dulwich Mishi

That seems like a huge jump in prices! As someone who doesn’t drink how does that compare to other local pub prices?

10. Pink Panther

I mostly just drink cask beer but pub prices in general seem to have risen sharply over the last 18 months or so. Until then £3.80/£3.90 a pint seemed to be about par for mainstream boozers. In January last year the Cherry Tree whacked it up from £3.80 to £4.20 in one go. Shortly afterwards the EDT put theirs up to £4.20. This was just before we got kicked out of Champion Hill and I recall Meadow put the clubhouse price up to £4.20 and someone who queried it was told "that's what you pay down Lordship Lane". This year £4.50 seems to be the norm. I haven't been in any of the pubs in East Dulwich since the end of last season but I paid £4.70 for a pint of Hophead, a standard session ale, in the Blacksmith's Arms at Rotherhithe a few days ago. That's pretty steep in my view.

I've always regarded each whole pound as a barrier publicans try not to break for as long as possible. Drinkers grumble about small increases, but when it hits £3, then £4, for the first time that's when punters start buying one pint less or looking elsewhere. If the coins/note you've taken out of your wallet suddenly isn't enough and you've got to fish around for a bit extra you start to take notice of the price rise.

However one or two new factors have come into play in the last few years. A majority of pub customers now pay with contactless debit cards instead of cash. Once the price becomes £5.20 it's not such an immediate nuisance that one banknote doesn't cover it, just wave the magic card and it's paid for,; £4, £5 what's the difference? Some people barely seem to notice. It's not like the old days when you take £20 out of the cashpoint and when it's gone it's gone. I also blame the rise of craft keg beers, which are generally brewed in small quantities to a higher strength using more expensive ingredients. These tend to be priced higher for good reason, but I reckon it's also helped pull up the price of the weaker mass produced beers too.

I won't have a contactless debit card as I consider them a security risk. I've also encountered a few bars/pubs that no longer take cash. I won't revisit these unless friends especially want to meet there because it doesn't suit me, the customer, to pay by card. If I use cash it's easier to keep track of what I'm spending and I don't want several small items on my bank statement every bloody time I go for a drink. Ultimately I'm pissing in the wind here as cash will disappear in the end, but I 'm not going down without a fight!

It's all just another symptom of how polarised modern Britain is becoming. A lot of people seem to have spare cash to burn and happily pay whatever is asked, so the price goes up and anyone who struggles to afford it gets hammered.

I've gone off at a bit of a tangent from the initial question of exactly why some of the beers in the clubhouse are £1 a pint more than last season. Have they all gone up, or is it just those that were cheapest?

11. jimbarkanoodle

I usually use the EDT as the yardstick for the cheapest pint on Lordship Lane, and the cheapest pint of lager (Amstel) is £4.30, so less than the cheapest pint of lager at Hamlet.

Antic, who own the EDT have ramped up their prices in the last 18 months or so, it used to be more reasonable than that.

I feel that Hamlet, by putting pints up by as much as £1 each, have lost their USP, and can no longer be considered 'cheap'. Particularly when over the last few months the clubhouse were very publicly courting customers on Facebook, highlighting "cheap pints from £3.50", i.e 'come to the clubhouse to watch the sport rather than the pub its cheaper!'. To then whack that £3.50 pint they were so keen to advertise by a whole pound, im sorry, is pretty cheeky. I would much rather give my money to Dulwich Hamlet than Antic or whoever else, but like i said before there is now almost no chance of me drinking before and after the game at the clubhouse when i know i am being charged roughly 30% more for the same pint than a couple of months ago.

I do hope that possibly this decision to hike the prices is reconsidered, as it might be a case of them shooting themselves in the foot, and lends a slight tinge of contempt towards us as fans.

12. jimbarkanoodle

I can only speak for pints of Estrella and Revisionist, cos thats what i drink. The prices of the others didnt look too dissimilar to be honest, and the small cans of Estella are still £3 each, which isnt too bad.

13. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

If it's more than the EDT I agree that's a bit much tbh. I don't think the club have the responsibility to provide absolutely rock bottom prices (which I think people have suggested before) or to compete with the 'spoons, and of course the bar is a huge source of income for the club, but I think there should be a balance to be struck between profit maximizing and the more community focused role of the club of which affordability is a part. I think 'cheaper end of normal' is fine but I don't think it should be more than local pubs.

editor, EDC, takkforalt and 2 others like this.
  14. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

Great news on beer prices

Jimbob73, pettyboy, Nivag and 4 others like this.
  15. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Even though I’m not a season ticket holder that is brilliant. Listening to the supporters and taking action.

Nivag and YTC like this.
  16. YTC

YTC Human Man

Well done to Dave on this, listened, took action. Very happy!

17. Dulwich Mishi

Is there any reduction/ offer on soft drinks at all! Pints of Pepsi went up from £2 to £2.50 which was a hefty jump.

Pink Panther likes this.
  18. Dulwich Mishi

I would have said he saw the bar was Jess busy & realised he had yo do something... I’m not really going to pat someone on the back for having realised hefty increases in prices were wrong...

the 12th man likes this.
  19. DHFC Clubhouse

DHFC Clubhouse New Member

Hi everyone,

Perhaps I should try to clear some stuff up. If it helps, and makes sense, great. If not, come and talk to me.

Happy Hour & Season Tickets Drinks Prices:

Given the amount of disquiet around prices over the last week, it's not surprising that people might assume we're being reactionary here. We're not. We were waiting to announce details until the start of the season to try to have maximum impact/reach alongside paid online advertising for Prem games on TV. In an attempt to appease (rightfully) anxious boozers, we got going a bit earlier with the message.

There's only one way I'm looking at this job, and have ever looked at it: how can we provide supporters who've backed the club for X years with a genuinely inclusive clubhouse, while still putting enough through the tills on match days to sustain ourselves? The guiding principle is that community members who are loyal to the club are treated fairly. This 'Season Tickets' scheme is my answer. It doesn't cover everything, but if this job has taught me anything, it's that I'll never please everyone. Mishi, I'm sorry we've raised our Pepsi Max prices above those of 'spoons. They pay their staff an average of £7.42/hour, and have approximately 1000 venues. Shame on them.

The message from DHFC clubhouse is, I think, simple and positive; back the club, and the bar will sort you out! Unless you drink Pepsi Max on the regs, in which case you're doomed ;-)

Revisionist:

This is our answer to getting draft lager pitch side at under a fiver without shooting ourselves in the foot. Last season, lager was £5 on draft outside, this season it's £4.50 (and we had to buy all the kit to serve it on too, which isn't cheap). Season Ticket drinks Prices do not apply to outside bars, sorry about that.

As an aside, it was not supposed to be on the main bar at all when we set up again after the women's world cup/Deserter festival. Unfortunately, suppliers missed deadlines to change some things around in the main bar cellar, and so it stayed, but at £4.50 (the new price). I didn't want to have it on upstairs at £3.50, and downstairs at £4.50, so it went up at all points of sale. It will be off the main bar by the end of next week (or so I am assured by the supplier). We won't be replacing it with another 'cheap' lager. I know it looks shit that a product has gone up so much, and it is shit (I like cheap beer), but I hope that if people understand the context in which the decision was taken (attempting to reduce prices outside), then it will make good sense. In hindsight, it would have been better to have taken it off upstairs completely and left the taps off until we got the gas changed over in the cellar. Anyway, remember.... if you like a lager, season tix get you a nice lovely pint of Estrella for £3, 7 days a week.

Soft Drinks:

Cans in the tea bar and outside bars haven't changed prices. We were on a par with Spoons before with our 'gun' drinks, and it doesn't make sense to try to compete with them. I'm sorry we haven't included everything in the happy hour/season ticket prices, but I chose to keep it simple.

Estrella:

This is the most expensive beer we buy. Everyone ITK said we were crazy to have it at £4, and they were right. £4.50 is reasonable in the wider context of SE22, SE5, SE15 etc. Cans are back at £3 (this one is down to the pitch fork mob AKA Dave Rogers), Happy Hour and Season Ticket price is £3/pint.

Pies:

Pies have gone up 50p for season ticket holders. I know it's a completely different kettle of fish, so don't shout at me, but Manze's is £7.99 (online) for a double double, which leaves me similarly filled. Large fish and chips at my local is around £7 etc...

Other:

Kingstone press is up to £4 from £3.50, and £3 in the deal. All local (often pejoratively referred to as hipster) pints have remained at £5 (Peckham Pale is £3 in the main bar for season ticket holders and happy hour). Wine and spirits are unchanged. Real Ales will vary sometimes, but always £3 in the deal.

I'm sure I've missed some out, and happy to address. The best thing to do is come and talk if you have an issue, or email davebrown at dulwichhamletfc dot co dot uk. Maybe nothing will happen, maybe you've got a great point and there's a good solution.

I'd be dreaming if I thought this 'us' and 'them' thing within some sections of our support will dissipate any time soon. I'm a football fan, it's how it goes a lot of the time for most clubs. I will do my best to communicate more effectively in the future, and hopefully that will help.

From my perspective, there is only 'us'; everything we do and make is for the club and nothing else.

Up The Hamlet

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I would never drink Pepsi Max as artificial sweetener is ugh but the profit margin on it should be the same as on lager (whatever that may be) in my opinion, and it may well be as far as I know.

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I’d be outraged if I didn’t drink and it cost more for a pepsi max than a pint of estrella with a season ticket, unless estrella charge less than pepsi (shame on pepsi).

22. DHFC Clubhouse

It doesn't, so hold fire on the hypothetical outrage.

WillClunas and editor like this.
  23. Pink Panther

It's a long time since I was head barman in a pub but the percentage profit margin on post-mix soft drinks on tap was far higher than on any draught beer. It's basically a concentrated syrup mixed with carbonated water as it's poured, and the wholesale cost equated to a few pennies per pint. Apart from installing and maintaining the dispensing equipment it was also far more profitable than bottled soft drinks.

B.I.G likes this.
  24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Pepsi max costs £3? The profit margin is the same on pepsi as it is on pints of estrella?

25. DHFC Clubhouse

Pepsi Max pint £2.50 (£3 at EDT)
    Estrella Pint £4.50 (£3 here in deal)

No business that I can think of applies the same margin to everything they sell. I'll leave particular part of the discussion for now if that's ok?

26. editor

editor hiraethified

If someone would like to put together an article about the Clubhouse, listing upcoming events, beer prices, opening hours etc., I'll be happy to post it on Brixton Buzz and tweet it to our followers.

27. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

If pepsi max is £2.50 and estrella is £3. Seems fine to me.

If the bar could charge less for soft drinks, if I were you I’d consider that. Seems unethical to me for non-drinkers to subsidise drinkers, while acknowledging a price structure still needs to operate within a reasonable range.

Nivag likes this.
  28. mick mccartney

mick mccartney Well-Known Member

well , i like your pricing policy on real ale , but i'd also like to know your availability policy . none available today , or last sunday .

29. DHFC Clubhouse

When the bar is very quiet, we waste more than we sell. Now the season is underway, it should be on every day. Expect it to be on from Tuesday.

30. jimbarkanoodle

Loving the fact that i can now get a pint of Estrella for £3, as a S/T holder. Will certainly stick to the clubhouse rather than the pub now. Good of you to have a happy hour as well, a decent one at that too.

Pink Panther likes this.