1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Club photos copyright question..

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Chi, Dec 5, 2015.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Dressing up a dog that is dressed up and selling it, is not the same as photographing a painting, or and created image with the purpose of selling it.

editor likes this.
  2. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

You make no sense whatsoever.

The guy made a costume relevant to the environment with the intent of giving tourists a photo opportunity for a donation. It was he who created the scenario, the scenario is subject to Copyright. You can't get away with photographing and profiting without being liable to a court ruling.

Copyright existed long before digital photograaphy and the internet. As much as the laaw is having to evolve, fundamentally it remains the same as ever. You cannot steal other peoples creative realisations for the purpose of making profit.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Does a city planner own the copyright on a street scene because they also "created the scenario"?

4. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I disagree. Ill check it out in beyond the lens when I get a moment.

5. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Once more, SE is spouting about how he thinks things should be, not how they are.

The main point to bear in mind is that in this multimedia age, most "works" contain more than one copyright.

The exception would be a poem in manuscript. In this post there are "thin" copyrights in the font and the forum design as well as the main rights I have in my words.

So in SE's made-up example: there are copyrights in the photo, the dressing of the dog, the patterns on the clothes in which it is dressed...

He's about to cry that he's right. He's not.

In principle, if someone took a photo of the dog and sold it for profit, the designer of the dog could sue.

BUT they'd be asking a court to decide whether it was a photo OF the dog or a photo that included the dog. All relevant rights in photos that "incidentally" include copyright objects belong to the person who took the photo, you see.

Much also depends on the use of the photo. Almost everywhere there's some kind of "news and current affairs" exception - in the UK it applies to reproductions of all copyright objects - except photos, for reasons that a moment's thought will clarify.

For a court to decide these interesting questions will cost a fucking fortune. So much that the alleged right of the dog-owner must remain forever moot.

Right, that's enough pandering to SE's attention-seeking.

editor likes this.
  6. mhendo

mhendo Aussie in San Diego

You are, once again, flat out wrong, at least for the United states, and you have shown nothing in the law that would support you for the UK. Not a single thing. All we have is your own hidebound certainty, backed by no evidence whatsoever.

As i've said repeatedly, i'm always willing to concede that i might be wrong for the UK, because my knowledge of copyright and fair use is not as well developed for the UK as it is for the US, but i'll need more than your word that your legal "analysis" is correct. Hell, even the one useful link that you have actually provided in this thread doesn't help you because it (a) is for the US, not the UK, and (b) supports my argument a lot more than it supports yours.

editor likes this.
  7. mhendo

mhendo Aussie in San Diego

Emphasis mine.

is this true in the UK? Because in the US my reading of the law and of subsequent rulings suggests that you couldn't claim copyright on a dressed-up dog. Costumes and clothing themselves are, as i noted earlier in the thread, defined as "useful articles," and are not subject to copyright protection, and simply putting a useful article on a dog does not transform the dog into a copyright-protected piece of work, especially as it does not, under US law, constitute a "fixed medium of expression."

Everything else you've written—regarding the ability to sue, the "photo of dog" vs "photo including dog," as well as the news and current affairs issue—would apply about equally in the US.

8. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

My understanding is that in the UK you could claim it... [E2A: it's "fixed" as much as a stage set is] - and my point is that you could do this only if you had limitless resources and the other side none.

There's no "useful articles" exception (or other let-out) [E2A: made explicit] in the UK. Here, clothing designs most certainly can be subject to copyright (as well as one or more of the design rights).

Sort of makes up for the lack of character rights in the UK. (E2A: pending some deep-pocketed writer getting the courts to change the law :) )

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  9. Stanley Edwards

Of course not. They are paid under contract to design a public space for public use.

10. Stanley Edwards

There is no real difference between US Copyright law and UK Copyright law. The only difference is that civil legal matters are much more about business and money in the US. The link I posted to very clearly states that costumes are subject to Copyright. That was a link to a quote from a highly respected, international Copyright lawyer.

11. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

So you're completely unaware of the US "work for hire" doctrine, just one of the major differences between US and UK copyright law?

You revel in making yourself look stupid, yes?

editor likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

14. Stanley Edwards

Whilst the Code has some relevance in the UK,

Whilst the Code has some relevance in the UK, it references US copyright law. Differences in our legislation mean that certain reproductions of copyrighted artworks which are permitted in the US could conversely be treated as infringements in the UK, depending on the circumstances.

The UK and US have based their copyright legislation on similar policy objectives; generally, to balance the rights of copyright-owners with a range of other rights, interests and freedoms.
    ----------------------------

All from the link you provided. There is no real difference other than money/business.

It pretty much says the laws only differ on wording. UK='fair dealing'. US='fair use'.

15. Stanley Edwards

When is copyright infringed?
    Copyright is infringed when someone carries out one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights without their permission, and an exception to copyright does not apply.

This can be in relation to the whole or a substantial part of the artistic work. What is "substantial" is determined by a qualitative test, not a quantitative one, which means that there may be an infringement even if a small but distinctive portion of the original artwork is copied.
    -----------------------

There you go.

16. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Good trolling Stanley, too cold for sexpesting this time of year eh?

17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

And too cold for physically-assaulting disabled people.

18. Chi

Chi New Member

Thanks for all the replies folks :)

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I hope you don't do texting on your mobile while piloting. :D