1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Club photos copyright question..

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Chi, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Chi

Chi New Member

Hi folk's I need a little advice please..

I went to a Latin dance party in public place recently and casually took a whole set of photos (around 250) of very willing individuals and dancing couples..

The next day I edited all the images and created a watermarked online album and shared it with people at the party in case anyone wanted to order prints.

I was then contacted by the host of the night who asked me to remove my watermark from every single photo.. add his own watermark and then send him all the images for nothing..

Well obviously I told him he was off his rocker and declined instead offering if he wanted he could by the whole set and use them for his Facebook page and party night promotions etc.

He was not interested in giving me asingle penny for anything and has now said that that if I use of show any of my photos anywhere it would be 'infringement of his copyright'.

What the hell! How on earth does he have any kind of copyright over my images?

What's the legal situation here please?

Cheers :)

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I think if the event was in a public place, and or that you took the pictures standing in a public place then you have the copyright for your images.

Greebo likes this.
  3. Chi

Chi New Member

Just found this:

Q: Who owns the copyright in a photograph once it is taken?

In general, when the shutter is released, the photographer who pressed the button owns the copyright. An exception is when the image falls into the “work-made-for-hire”(also known as “work for hire”) category. A work-made-for-hire relationship is created in two situations: (1) the photographer is an employee hired to take photographs for the employer—an example would be a photojournalist who is an employee of a newspaper but not a wedding or portrait photographer who is hired for one event; or (2) the photographer is hired to provide photographs for collective works or compilations and signs a written agreement that specifically states that the work is to be considered a work made for hire. Therefore, freelance photographers are subjected to work-for-hire status only when they agree to it contractually.

I was not hired, there was no agreement or contract.. I was among few others taking photos but he's just trying to get hold of mine because they were professionally shot and edited.

laptop and Greebo like this.
  4. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

paging editor - what do you think ?

I feel that a) the promotor Chi mentions is trying to pull a fast one and should be told to take a hike.
    and b) The copyright in the images does belong to Chi

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Chi you took the pictures, you were not commissioned to take them: the (c) belongs to you.

6. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

The host is wrong. Ignore him. Tell him he can't use your pictures without your permission.

(ps I work in copyright)

7. keybored

keybored

Is a nightclub classed as a "public place" for copyright reasons though? It's private property that's open to the public. I'm not sure where the line is drawn.

Though in either case I doubt he's entitled to just have all your photos for nothing.

8. Pickman's model

don't matter, doesn't affect copyright

9. Chi

Chi New Member

"Is a nightclub classed as a "public place" for copyright reasons though? It's private property that's open to the public. I'm not sure where the line is drawn."

It was not a nightclub.. it's just a big pub that has a large dance floor space upstairs and people just go there to party..

10. Pickman's model

anyway (c) associated with creation of work not location of work

laptop likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Makes no odds at all. The copyright belongs to the photographer. If the club owner wants to use the photos, then he should pay for them.

12. existentialist

existentialist Kiss The Girl

I'd tell the twat to shove it. If he bangs on about copyright again, you tell him you'll see him in court. Even if this is more than a baseless attempt to extort your photos from you, the moment he gets a sniff of what it's going to cost him to go after you in court, he'll back off so fast there will be skidmarks.

13. Pickman's model

:facepalm:

14. weltweit

Why the :facepalm: :facepalm: that is broadly right no?

15. Pickman's model

no

16. weltweit

The only case where you are photographing from a public place, where you won't have copyright of the resulting images, is if you are contracted to an employer to produce images for them!

Greebo likes this.
  17. Chi

Chi New Member

Thank you all for the numerous comment's and suggestions. :);):thumbs:

Greebo and Pickman's model like this.
  18. Chi

Chi New Member

I don't think that's quite correct.. I was hired to shoot the America's Cup Yacht Race by one of the main sponsors Jaguar which was done from their own provided speedboat yet I still own full copyright of all the images which they
    happily acknowledged and paid me for.

19. weltweit

I would have thought that depends on the agreement you had with them.

20. existentialist

Because - as I think you pointed out in your second post - you hadn't explicitly signed over your copyright to your client. Which was either a smart move on your part, or a cockup on theirs :)

I think the point about weltweit's observation is that, even if it isn't incorrect, it's irrelevant.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It doesn't matter where you're standing: unless you have signed away your rights beforehand, the copyright remains yours and no one else's.

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  22. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

The only possible exception to the OP owning the copyright is if the terms of entry to the club specifically state that any photographs taken on the premises are the property of the club. I know that this has happened to some rock photographers when photographing bands.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Such a claim would have a very tenuous grip on the law, unless the photographer had to sit down and sign a specific form giving away all rights before entry. The photographer always owns copyright unless they have specifically signed away their rights.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  24. existentialist

It sounds a bit like those disclaimer notices which say you enter premises/car parks "at your own risk" - essentially, it's legally unenforceable.

muscovyduck and editor like this.
  25. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

In this instance I think you're right and the copyright belongs to the OP (I did say the only possible exception). But Google 'photography copyright rights grab' to see some examples of what I mean.

26. existentialist

Yeah, there's always going to be cunts determined to bend the (appearance of the) law to suit their own purposes.

RoyReed likes this.
  27. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It's standard to keep copyright but assign rights to the client to use the images, probably exclusive ones if it's work for hire. It would be rare to sign away all rights because that would stop you using the shots in a portfolio.

laptop and existentialist like this.
  28. Chi

Chi New Member

"Because - as I think you pointed out in your second post - you hadn't explicitly signed over your copyright to your client. Which was either a smart move on your part, or a cockup on theirs :)"

I did not have any arrangement with anyone.. I just walked in off the street with friends the same as everyone else there out for a good night. I just happened to have my camera with me as always
    and being the photo-holic that I am I always end up taking photos especially of dancers.. only on leaving at the end of the night did I take the organisers email saying I'll send him a link to the album later.

That's the entirety of any communication I had with this individual.

Greebo likes this.
  29. existentialist

Good. He can get to fuck, then.

I hope you can find it in yourself to relish just a little the process of telling him to get to fuck. You might even like to ice the cake a little by inviting him to select a couple that you'll grant limited release to him to use...WITH your watermark :)

Greebo likes this.
  30. Mr Smin

Mr Smin Registered Luser

As a true professional I pilot my own speedboat while taking photos at the same time. ;)